Songs that remind you of Sept 11, 2001

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by empennage, Sep 9, 2002.

1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    This thread is inspired by the thread in FFA where everybody is talking about where they were on Sept 11. Kind of along the same lines, list a song or two that reminds you of that day.

Mine are:

Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 - Yeah I know it's about a different event, but the words just seem so appropriate (change Sunday to Tuesday and it would match perfectly). "I can't believe the news today. I can't close my eyes and make it go away."

Chop Suey by System of the Down - This song was on the radio, right before I heard what happened.

Alive by POD - This song was kind of picked up as the inspirational song of Sept 11 and was played all the time after that day.

2. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Billy Joel: We Didn't Start the Fire

JMac

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the f***ing thing happen, and to be honest I can't think of a single song to go along with it.

4. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    U2's "Walk On" will always, always remind me of the aftermath.

But I don't think there's any song that sums up the day itself. I don't think there's anything that could.

RS

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Four posts and no one's mentioned the Enya song yet.

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I don't think there are any songs that symbolize the event. We Didn't Start the Fire just makes me think about 9/11. With Joel listing the major events through the years, it just seems inevitable to think about major events of the recent past.

JMac

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That song reminds me of it too for some reason. Could be that I heard that song while watching some footage of the towers and the people who were hanging out the windows waving for help.

Every time I hear that song now it's all I can picture. :( I used to love that song too.

8. ndcheg

ndcheg New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    U2's "Stuck in a Moment" - played on MTV the next day and it just seemed to mirror how I felt at the time

Jewel "Hands" - Just a great song about dealing with tragedy

9. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Pet Shop Boys - It's Alright

10. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second this one. I saw them at Continental Arena in October, and while they played this song, the big projection screen behind the stage scrolled a list of the FDNY and NYPD personnel lost on 9/11, as well as the passengers from the hijacked planes. I'd never cried at a concert before, but I wasn't the only one. That was a lot of names.

11. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Usually, my smart-ass sense of humor would result in a lengthy list of songs which sarcastically could be associated with that day.

My conscience will not let me do it.

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    That one song by Alan Jackson.

13. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

"Where were You (when the world stopped turning)"

14. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    As strange as it sounds
    'Control' by Puddle of Mudd....

I worked about 2 blocks from the trade center...not to get into details of the day, lets just say I made it home and was out of work for well over a week while they readied my building for reopening....
    Well, as I sat at home watching the news with my 5 month old daughter growing more and more depressed, I finally snapped and found that the only channel where I could almost escape reliving the day was MTV2....well, that video was the 'big' at the time I guess....and something about sitting on the couch with my daughter, listening to that song made me feel OK again......probably because I was throughly amused with the lyrics 'I like the way you smack my a$$'...I think that was my first laugh after it all...

15. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is a very good song, and I recommend that if you haven't heard it, you should download it on MP3. Or if you PM me I can send it to you.

Another country song that is great is Courtesy of the Red White and Blue ( Angry American ) by Toby Keith. It's all about the revenge that every one wanted after Sept 11.

16. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is a song that I didn't even think of, but it fits really really well. The whole meaning of that song is that ************ happens, but the world moves on.

17. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Songs that remind me of 9/11:
    "Jesus, Etc." by Wilco (there's a line that goes "Tall buildings shake, voices escape...")

"30 Seconds Over Tokyo" by Pere Ubu (especially the part when it sounds like a plane is going down)

"Live to Tell" by Madonna

Songs that remind me of post-9/11 events:
    "Anthrax" by Gang of Four (a song written over 20 years ago with the ridiculous line "love will get you like a case of anthrax/ and that's something I don't want to catch")

"Smallpox Champion" by Fugazi

"Please, Please Mr. Postman" by whoever that classic soul group was

"A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall" by Bob Dylan

18. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hero" - Foo Fighters

Those lyrics make me think of Flight 93 & the FDNY, PAPD, & NYPD people who were lost that day.

Opie & Anthony of all people played that on their show about a week or so after 9/11. I completely lost it & to pull over my car for a minute.

19. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    I second that.I reminds of all those people who rushed into the towers knowing they probably weren't coming back, but still did their job.Don't forget about all the military personnel and civilians that were lost at the Pentagon.

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    "Hero" by Foo Fighters reminds me of all the heroes of 9/11, but David Bowie's song of the same title reminds me more specifically of Flight 93 ("we can be heroes, just for one day").

A number of U2 songs, of course, notably "Walk On", "Stuck in a Moment", "Kite", and "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

Metallica-"Don't Tread On Me"
    Cypress Hill-"You Can't Get the Best of Me"
    Nelly-"Number One" (more to do w/ American pride, not specifically 9/11)

And of course songs that were written afterwards specifically about 9/11, such as "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith and "Open Invitation" by Jackyl.

Alex

21. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    I couldn't think of anything when I first saw this yesterday but I started watching MTV2 and they played that Ryan Adams song "New York, New York" that came out right after September 11. I remember there was a mini-controversy over whether or not they would play it b/c it featured him singing with the towers as a backdrop for the majority of the song.

22. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a few weeks following 9/11, I kept on mumbling the lyrics to Lambchop's "The Man Who Loved Beer". It is a quiet beautiful meloncholy song bemoaning violence (I've never understood the title). Since it isn't a common song, here are the lyrics:

to whom can i speak today
    the brothers they are evil
    and the old friends of today
    they have become unlovable
    the gentleness has perished
    and the violent man has come down on everyone
    the wrong which roams the earth
    there can be no end to it
    it is just unstoppable
    death is in my sights today