Song Draft Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Panfilo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    6) Participants and active observers can vote at the end of the draft.

By Active observers I mean posters that contributed something to the thread such as Crimen, Norsk, Taos, Elbp, Mlstown

Give your top 5 drafts

Number 1 pick gets 5 points
    Number 2 pick gets 4 points
    Number 3 pick gets 3 points
    Number 4 pick gets 2 points
    Number 5 pick gets 1 point

Have at it

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In order:

Oman
    Auriaprottu
    Panfilo
    Matt in the Hat
    Ghost

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    oman's vote:

1) Panfilo

Didn't know lots of this stuff, but liked it all.

2) GringoTex

The Hoy Es was bizarre, but the Joy Division, Hank Williams, CP, PE added some nice variety to the greatest song ever writen.

3) Matt in the Hat

I may be undervoting on this - the Circle Will be Unbroken is a great pick, as are the others. But I may agree with Ghost on this. Some of them are so good and perfect that they have been overdone. Objectively feels like the best draft though.

4) Auriaprottu

Great draft. Just a couple songs kept this from going a bit higher for me. I'm a bit knee jerk on U2 these days for some reason.

5) Iceblink

Wildly inconsistent. Not sure how it escaped elimination after my first go through, but it did, so I will keep it.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was hard!!!!!

I kept saying, "I can't believe I'm eliminating this song" Over and over and over again!

Eeeep!

Anyway, I came up with this final list.

1. Dr. Know
    2. SirManchester
    3. ForeverRed
    4. Matt in the Hat
    5. GringoTex

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have amazingly similar taste:

1) Dr. Know
    2) SirManchester
    3) Matt in the Hat
    4) IceBlink
    5) ForeverRed

I'm going to go smoke pot and listen to Led Zeppelin III for the rest of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yw7wqoaio

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting draft. Lots of diverging choices even within each person's draft. It goes to show the breadth of what we had to choose from that I got 8 of my 9 top songs (and one other that I couldn't find on youtube). If we had 5 more people in this draft, I suspect I would still have my same 10 songs...

In order:

Matt in the Hat
    Won the draft value scorecard, getting Amazing Grace and When the Saints Go Marching In relatively late.

royalstilton
    Great draft, even discounting for Jimi Hendrix.

argentine soccer fan
    I liked his songs that I didn't know prior to this more than anyone else's unknowns.

Oman
    All these songs, most of them great, and the song that's playing in my head right now is We've Only Just Begun. Always a sucker for a ballad.

Dr Know
    I was always going to vote for his choices, just because he snagged my second favorite song of all time right off the top. But then, I started re-thinking a vote when he picked up Billie Jean, but recovered nicely with a Clash song. Not one I would have chosen, but The Clash are, well, The Clash.

And Matt in the Hat takes the early lead. If he's got real balls he'll vote for himself.

7. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1) Royalstilton
    2) Argentine Soccer Fan
    3) Oman
    4) ForeverRed
    5) GringoTex

8. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Trying to use some sort of criterion to rank the 15 drafts, I decided to consider who had picked the most highlights (minimum three, maximum five) in each round through all the rounds in the draft. Personal taste obviously counted and in relation to this I feel it's probably fair to say that my votes are strongly influenced by certain personal convictions -some people call them prejudices- that are too many to cite (my almost complete dislike for 80's music, my complete indifference to that over-rated, over-inflated and over-played Irish band and my relative overlooking of artsy, lengthy pieces in what I took to be a sung song draft). I also considered whether the whole 10-pick list made sense as a collection (rather impossible to do considering the breadth and depth of the draft). Finally, I had to also throw my personal connection to the songs drafted.

My 5 drafts:

1. oman. Had five of his picks (Sleepwalk, Garota de Ipanema, Blue Monday, Peggy Sue, and What's Going On) as highlights in the different rounds of the pick. I also liked Tighten Up, Hello Walls and The Weight although Nessun Dorma was not my cup of tea and I rather forget he picked that Pretenders song. If he ever gets to like Pink Floyd hard enough as to have them in his top-1000, we could hang out together and drink us a few white russians. Pendejo!

2. Matt in the Hat. Had also five of his picks in my highlights (New York New York, Crazy, Amazing Grace, When the Saints..., Can (Will) The Circle Be Unbroken) and he could have had seven or eight -Guantanamera and At Last would have probably been highlights if I took longer to decide. But most of his picks, unlike Oman's, felt too politically correct. Besides, I was very underwhelmed by two of his picks, Living for the City and American Pie. But, overall, I felt his was the most cohesive collection out there by a mile.

3. Gringo Tex. One of the three most exciting drafts (the other being Val1's and asf's), the one who picked Public Enemy and a suicide anthem for the lost souls of the 80's lost generation, had also very good songs to credit. In fact, it was a triple tie between the first three as GT also had 5 great highlights (Your Cheating Heart, I've Got You Under My Skin, Like A Rolling Stone, Dat's Love and Ave Maria). I liked the breadth of his draft and would make a great collection. But I hate the Pixies and I am not into Joy Division so that probably explains why he got the short end of the stick.

4. Auriaprottu. He picked some of the most memorable songs in the draft (Shaft, Yesterday) and had him in 4 rounds in my highlights (the two mentioned before, Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay, and California Dreaming). His side A minus U2 (still the best U2 song picked in the draft) was nothing short of awesome. His side B didn't convince me and I thought it was just okay, far from matching the beautiful, memorable and ageless tunes of his first side. Up until round 7, he was a tie for the first and possibly outright winner (and yeah, that includes U2 song)

5. Royalstilton. I liked most of his picks. Instant classics, immortal melodies. That goes for Ooo Baby Baby, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Sabor A MI, Don't Be Cruel, Satisfaction --all in my highlights except the first one. "One" was a big letdown for me, I never expected to see that song in this draft. But I understand his reasons and respect his taste. I don't like opera but I can appreciate its value and appeal. Still, that particular opera composition was unexpected. Solea is a great inclusion, great song. Although I don't think it's a particularly cohesive draft, I liked it because it's got balls and heart.

Special mentions:

Val1 - If the human being could commit ears, heart and mind all at the same time, your draft will be number one, miles ahead. Even with those worldly picks at 7 and 8.

asf - Although not all of them universally know, those were great picks nonetheless. I could do without the Boca chant, but that's an institution. You also picked the song with the greatest lyrics.

SirManchester - Uneven draft to me, but it's got one over10 min kickass anthem at(and that's not Radiohead), and three or four top-notch classics.

My comments should only be taken as my reactions and feelings on your drafts and choice of songs; there is no doubting your musical savvy. Hope all is well taken.

9. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Panfilo was generous to allow me a vote, though I would also understand if the voters preferred to ignore a non-participant. Either way - here are my votes, and some general comments:

No points to anything that wasn't a song, no matter how great a musical piece it was (eg. Rhapsody in Blue, ). Color me old-fashioned, but I prefer the actual meaning of words, as in - a song must be sung by singing. Words. Also, it's got to be a real song, not just a musical piece with words - an aria is a song, but an entire opera, or even a scene from an opera with 9 different characters signing separately, or a Requiem ... those aren't songs.

Iceblink: With the only selection from my own list, Armstrong's What a Wonderful World, he also picked a handful of other top hits, including the Queen of the Night's aria. 5th Place

GringoTex: gets the Octavio Zambrano award for picking the equivalent of Steve Shak with the 1st pick, but he overcome that handicap with generally a well rounded selection of above average songs, highlighted by Your Cheatin' Heart, Like a Rolling Stone and I've Got You Under My Skin. 4th Place

Matt in the Hat: Like Val, starts out violating the song rule, but overcomes that stumble with mostly great selections (not including American Pie) - but none of the selections were really top of the line selections Strong consistency, but no smoking gun. 3nd Place

Oman: Gets the Six flags Over Texas Award, for taking us from dizzying heights to sickening lows, and back again. But such heights ... Sleepwalk, Ipanema, Peggy Sue, and Nessun Dorma. 2nd Place

Val1: Getting zero points for Rhapsody in Blue and Ride of the Valkyries (see above), despite my love for both, this group still managed to finish on the top, with a diverse selection of outstanding classics like Born to Run, One Day More, O Holy Night, This Land is Your Land, and some strong filler (I Don't like Mondays, Video Killed the Radio Star). I would love to hear two alternates to replace the first and last picks. 1st Place

Thanks for hearing my thoughts (and of course, I preferred my own list to any of yours ;) )

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My process was to rate every song taken: 5 points if it kills me down to 1 point if I would change the station.
    5th place: MattInTheHat - 35 points
    Loved "So What", but "Guantanamera" and "New York, New York", not so much.
    4th place: Tie between asf and GringoTex - 36 points
    I didn't approve of asf's homegrown aficionado song, but he received 5 points for "New Year's Day" and "Corcovado". GT missed the bus for "Love Will Tear Us Apart" ( sorry, not my cuppa ) but "Fine and Mellow" and "Like a Rolling Stone" pulled him back up.
    3rd place: Tie between nancyb and ForeverRed - 37 points
    I like Nick Lowe, but not that song. High marks for "Moondance" ( but I would have picked... jk ) and "White Girl". My Liverpool supporter buddy scored on "Gimme Shelter", "Bullet..." and "Something". Points off for Steve Vai. Technically superior, but got no soul.
    2nd place - Sir Manchester - 38 points
    5 pointers were "...Watchtower", "...Numb", and "Strawberry Fields Forever". Might have been first place, but I couldn't get behind QotSA and "Child in Time" is a second rate Deep Purple tune, IMO.
    1st Place - with 40 out of 50 possible points: Val1
    What I liked about his selection of tunes was that there was a very broad balance between classical, pop/rock, folk and "operatic" music. Less 5 pointers than SirManchester, but only one 3 pointer: Rhapsody in Blue ( never my choice for Gershwin ).

Honorable Mention: Ghost - Sorry to break the news to you, oh, Spirit of BS, but if you substituted almost anything ever recorded for "Some Velvet Morning" and "You Don't Want Me", you're the winner.

I know.

You don't care.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1) Matt in the Hat
    2) ForeverRed
    3) SirManchester
    4) Dr.Know
    5) Val1

The following collections were tough to leave out of the top five so they get honorable mention:

Panfilo, GringoTex, Ismitje

I really enjoyed a lot of the songs that I didn't know, this was a great experience expecially because of all the new material that I was introduced to.

But having said that, I ended up going with Matt's collection because basically I knew all his songs well enough to be able to sing along to them, and I liked them all well enough to want to sing along to them. And as far as the one song that wasn't really a song, well... it was Miles Davis.

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Oman
    2) Val1
    3) Auriaprottu
    4) ASF
    5) Tex

13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. SirManchester
    2. Argentine Soccer Fan
    3. Royalstilton
    4. Iceblink
    5. Auriaprotto

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This has been a fantastic draft because it didn't feature as many predictable choices as I originally thought we were going to get. Having said that, my selections were based on what I thought made the most complete and worthy top ten lists.

I also wanted to thank everyone for providing me with songs I haven't heard before or simply haven't heard enough of. There wasn't one list that had all songs I disliked.

5. Dr. Know - Marley, followed by Floyd, followed by the Beach Boys. nuff said.

4. argentine soccer fan - I liked how passionate you were about your selections. I didn't really like the Emerson, Lake and Palmer selection but you have one of the few good U2 songs, my second favorite Floyd song and capped it all off Corcovado.

3. Panfilo - I didn't know most of these songs but I enjoyed them all. This was one of the more eye-openineg lists and unlike a lot of other lists, a more global approach. Fantastic.

2. royalstilton- Your list had a more nostalgic and older approach but it was impressive. Every song struck a chord, so to speak and you have probably the most balanced list.

1. ForeverRed - Your list contains songs I'm not only most familiar with but also have more of an affection for. Apart from the Vai and U2 pick, you have one of my favorite Beatles songs, my favorite Zeppelin and Stones songs. Massive Attack, Seu Jorge, and Dina Washgington are less flashy picks but equally impressive. And you were one of the few to make another Metal pick. That seals the win for me.

Kudos to Iceblink, and Ismitje, and Matt in the Hatt who came very close.

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked out of this draft about half way through round two. I'm not going to vote as I am swamped at work. Give everybody 5 points from me.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! :D

17. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i only gave you three points. i should only get three points. :)

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When I looked at everyone's choices, I concluded that this vote from me will differ from the 70s Album Draft in that no one here has a complete list that I really love. That's cool -it's all a matter of taste- but I'm pretty much voting for posters who picked the most tunes that I don't hate or find trivial in content. There ARE songs here that I love, and the lists they are on will dominate my top five, but even the folks who picked them also picked some songs I don't care for at all. I'll explain as I go along.

5 pts-Sir Manchester

Picking Strawberry Fields was an absolute stroke of genius, and Comfortably Numb was very close to the same. Runaway is from a musical era I find lyrically antiseptic and visually hokey (1961 was really still fifties-era music), but I do like this song.

4 pts- Dr. Know

Echoes was a fantastic pick (the guitar part just before the last verse is one of the best 12 or so seconds in music), as was Redemption Song. All Apologies is a nice tip of the hat to grunge's signature band, and Wouldn't It Be Nice is one of the few Beach Boys songs I can stand. If he'd picked any Jackson 5 tune instead of Billie Jean, this list would switch places with Manchester's in my rankings.

3 pts- Ghost

Seven Year Ache was a good call, and if he'd gotten to Wichita Lineman before I did, his list would be second.

2 pts- Ismitje

Sultans of Swing and Cry are solid picks. Cry was especially bold, given that it was never the huge hit some of the other tunes in the draft are.

1 pt- Matt In The Hat

Matt had great picks in So What, Living For The City, and Guantanamera, but the combination of Louis Armstrong's voice and stage persona* plus an Elvis selection for a spiritual (Can someone here please explain the infatuation with Elvis? Serious request. Dude's music was, is and will always be hokey. Ho. Key.) pulled him down.

*Armstrong was an extremely bright, well-spoken and well-read man who recognized that he was playing a game of sorts to earn his living at music, but I'll never respect him or his music as I do Miles Davis. Plus, his jazz was not of a sort that interests me.

Honorable Mention: Oman

He would have been fourth, maybe third without Peggy Sue and Tighten Up. What's Going On and Girl from Ipanema couldn't cancel out the two I don't rate to get it into my top five.

Panfilo, thanks for hosting this draft. Enjoyed it tremendously.

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SirManchester - 5pts
    Dr Know - 4pts
    ForeverRed - 3pts
    Nancyb - 2 pts
    Stax - 1pt

20. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    So like Ray Davies, you are satisfied with mailing it in.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, them's fightin words. Maybe I'll let taosjohn be my proxy.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm . . .

1) oman
    2) Matt in the Hat
    3) Dr. Know
    4) Auriaprottu
    5) Panfilo/Argentine Soccer Fan

23. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Wow! Peggy Sue dissed like a mo fo.

Waylon's going to do a really long encore, just to taunt you.

[youtube]scArjnTcw1M[/youtube]

24. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just go with your gut. read the lists out loud ( i printed them up ) and at least the top 3 will hit you square in the gut, or chops.

25. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Here are my picks....

5 points - Dr. Know – Some of my favorite songs early and some late round mistakes IMHO, but did I mention some of my favorite songs early

4 points - Val1 – Lots of solid picks that I can’t complain about

3 points - Ismitje – Great opening and great closing and a couple of solid picks in the middle with some misses.

2 points - Stax - Great draft after round 3 or so IMHO. Didn’t really like your first three picks though.

1 point - Royal Stilton – A couple of really strong picks that I like, a couple of misses

Honorable mentions:
    Gringo – Man that first pick stands out as a stinker (it’s a fine song after listening to it, but you could have done better…..you could have been a contender). I really liked the rest of your draft but if you took a legit first pick and then took your first pick in rounds 9 or 10, you might have gotten my vote.

Ghost – Steal my sunshine, I love the song, but even I recognize it isn’t in the top 40 of songs of all time. Trust me no one else had it on their board. I like several of your other picks though....

ASF – Does what he normally does, pick a ton of songs I have never heard before but I really like after listening to them. More of a slight on my knowledge of world music than his picks.