Son Heung-min @ Tottenham Hotspur FC 2020-2021 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by wetcrispy, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    glad i missed the match.

i don't understand finally having a capable backup for kane and then not using him. vinicius is good at holding play and has decent movement and passing in the box. all other options are wide players and they do not work as a kane replacement.

2. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    The issue isn’t that so much as Kane is often playing a deeper playmaking role to provide creativity in the opponent’s box. Had Lo Celso been available he would definitely have filled some of that void, but as is Spurs have 0 creative attacking players (Ndombele IMO is less of a creative #10 and more of an 8 that provides dangerous transition balls into the final 3rd but not the final ball in the box).

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    It was a horrible match by all. It was weird. Every single 50/50 ball was won by BHA. It was like an MLS team out there. Not sure if it's fatigue. Hope not, because games come thick and fast. Chelsea on Thursday and another match Sunday.

4. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    they are kicking up balls out from their own back with no aim...it's like neighborhood sunday league football

5. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I agree. The 3-back formations didn't help either. They also sorely missed Reguilon who would have provided width. Mou could have played Delle Alli in the hole but of course that marriage has fallen apart...

6. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Alli has been injured for weeks now, not a coaching call to not play him this game.

12th Player repped this.
  7. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  8. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
  9. Gash Basher

Gash Basher Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well done. You've cursed Sonny :eek:

10. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  11. Chaeyoung

Chaeyoung Member

Sep 30, 2019
    What a mess. Why do I ever expect anything different...

12. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    I have never seen Spurs look this bad, even in the darkest days under Pochettino, when things went downhill. Spurs never looked like scoring.

13. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    maybe they should have brought in HHC on loan

14. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Spurs under Poch when Kane was out for a while in 18/19 were absolutely dire, and were in relegation form.

Hyok and wetcrispy repped this.
  15. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    OK, I guess I was thinking of when Kane got injured in 2019, Spurs didn't do that bad. Even with Son injured, the team made a game of things. What I've seen in the last three matches was hesitant, passing laterally and backwards, with zero adventure or runs off the ball.

16. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    inten repped this.
  17. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Right right, he came back early and was out of form. I think sissoko also got injured during that stretch.

I remember better now, the team without him was playing horribly but was very lucky in their results, and that horrible play continued when he was rushed back but the luck ran out and they lost consistently. If it weren’t for the miracle wins against Man city and Ajax in the CL, I’m fairly sure Poch would have gotten sacked at the end of that season.

Hyok repped this.
  18. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I don't think Sissoko is inept like the OP, I think he doesn't give great effort and knows Mou will get any blame for the team's performance. It's the manager's job to get the players motivated but players need to be held accountable to some degree as well.

Tangentially, I feel like KNT players often play safe, rather than to win, because they know the NT manager will bear the blame as long as the player doesn't make a blatant individual mistake.

nmssis repped this.
  19. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Son should request a transfer. He’s not going to win any major titles with this club.

20. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I don’t think the NT players care about the manager lol. For a lot of them I’d imagine it’s the pressure of the entire country’s eyes on them when normally they’re playing in empty stadiums in the Middle East/China/Korea.

Sissoko is a bit streaky and lacking technically to begin with. On top of this, I’d imagine the string of poor results doesn’t do much for his confidence on the ball.

21. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

22. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sonny finally breaks his scoring drought to make it 2-0 over WBA

nmssis and seolseol repped this.
  23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He needed this.

24. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We all know how streaky he can be. Here comes a bunch

seolseol repped this.
  25. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah but he has been really consistent lately. This was his his achilles heal before, scoring 4 goals then 15 games without it. But Spurs is struggling though, not only Son.