Son Heung-Min @ Hamburg SV 2009-2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Randomized, Apr 22, 2010.

1. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ^ Wow. I'll have what he's drinking.

2. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    lololololol

3. footballchic

footballchic Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Bruges
    Club:
    CFR 1907 Cluj
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    in the limited action that i've seen, i don't see what the hype is about. he's been competent for the most part, but i haven't seen anything so far that suggests to me that he is a world-beater. he's good for his age, but he doesn't stand out in absolute terms.

against hajduk, he had some nice touches, where he won a free kick in a good position, failed on a one-on-one chance with the keeper (he shot with his left when he should have shot with his right foot), and a very nice run late in the game where he dribbled past a couple defenders, but his final ball seemed too heavy and lacked accuracy.

during his ninety minutes against juventus, he seemed to rely on the same move at least three times when attempting to dribble past opponents. he doesn't seem to dribble well in tight spaces. he also gave the ball away several times, and seemed lost positionally sometimes. in the second half, he was almost a bystander, and had only a few touches. didn't create much room for himself.

he didn't score in either of these games, either.

4. Koreafan

Koreafan Member

Jan 1, 2010
    in that one highlight video, he looks really impressive to me, especially for an 18 yr old. He looks like a korean wonderkid and seems to have potential to be a great explosive player.

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  6. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Scored twice in 120 seconds.

7. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    HSV manager Veh: "Son's is a good boy. As a coach, you have to weigh your words carefully, but he's a player that has to be commended. He's only 18 and can do things many others can't do when they're 30. He's pretty mature, not just on the pitch - he's very disciplined."

8. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    i hope his profile comes up on the 1st team section of the hamburg site sooon

9. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Should happen soon, he's said to be getting a new contract these days (only a few weeks after signing his first senior contract on his 18th birthday).

10. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Wow, that was quick. I was reading that some fans wanted a longer contract instead of the two-year deal he originally signed for. I wonder what the extension on the new contract is like. Any ideas trudodyr?

11. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    No, not yet. I'm guessing the club would want to give him a 5-year-deal, because he's still very young (and cheap). It was mentioned that they could only give him a two-year-contract before because of his residence permit - maybe they found a solution there. Then again, he would have to do military service (wouldn't he?), so that might be a factor for the new contract duration. We'll see, hopefully soon.

12. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Ah, I see.

Yes, currently as things stands he would have to serve his mandatory military service. However, he's still only 18 and has some time.

"Die überraschendste Entwicklung vollzieht sich derzeit im Angriff: Der erst vor kurzem abgeschlossene Profivertrag mit Nachwuchsspieler Heung Min Son soll in diesen Tagen nochmals verlängert werden - die HSV-Führung scheint von den Qualitäten des Südkoreaners absolut überzeugt zu sein."
    http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/Fussball/…darf-Gehen.html

Also, Ruud van Nistelrooy has sort of taken Son Heung-Min as his mentee and had plenty of positive things to say about him: http://news.naver.com/sports/index....&mod=read&office_id=139&article_id=0001965421

13. fiercejoy

fiercejoy Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks for all the updates, guys.

Anyone know if there are any more 14-15 year olds being sent to youth academies in Europe?

14. Football Master

May 13, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
  15. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    http://www.mopo.de/2010/20100727/sport/hsv/supertalent_son_ruud_ist_mein_idol.html

16. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Thanks for our resident Germans (or at least German speakers :D) here for providing this information!!

What do you guys think about Son and Hamburg thus far? Do you know what the general fan consensus is?

17. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    They love him and have high hopes.

But it might be a good idea to not expext too much, too soon. Most of the opponents in those friendlies were amateur sides, it remains to be seen how he fares in the Bundesliga. There's still a certain degree of uncertainty among HSV fans concerning the new coach and his approach to the game. But Veh didn't hesitate to include good youth players during his time with Stuttgart, so it seems feasible that Son will start getting regular sub appearances pretty soon, especially seeing how no-one has made himself indispensible on the right wing yet.

18. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    As long as he has a chance to make some first team appearances... I'm happy.

19. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Until an 1hr 20 min 34 sec ago, I never knew Son's father was a Korean international player. Forgot his name :eek:
    During Son's public school years, his father taught him all the techniques and such.
    Son Heung Min is also nicknamed 'Koala' because he sleeps alot.

20. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I didn't know that! :eek:

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Looks like Son played the 2nd half of todays friendly. No goals but a nice bit of play in the highlight reel. Seems like HSV management/Hamburg press wants Son to be the real deal more than we do since he's always highlighted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPQvR7TYAy8"]YouTube- Hamburger SV - 1860 München 1:1 Tore & Highlights[/ame]

22. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Impressed again against 1860 Munich. Fan posts seem to be almost unanimously impressed by his abilities and speed:

"Und, ich muss es wieder einmal sagen: Diesen Heung Min Son spielen zu sehen, ist ganz einfach ein Genuss. Der Koreaner wird für zusätzliche Stimmung im HSV-Angriff sorgen, weil er allen „großen“ Kollegen Feuer von der Bank aus machen wird. Zwei weitere Auffälligkeiten: Jaroslav Drobny zeigte eine ausgezeichnete Leistung zwischen den Pfosten, und der eingewechselte Castelen wirkte shcon viel selbstbewusster als noch bei seinem Comeback in Reutte. Der Niederländer riskierte Dribblings und hielt körperlich einige Male voll dagegen."
    http://hsv-blog.abendblatt.de/

http://forum.hsv.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=32383&pageNo=22&8f1ff03f

23. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    sick pass at 1:42