Son Heung-Min @ Hamburg SV 2009-2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Randomized, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    eff's sake. 2-0 to Dortmund. Kagawa that son of a bitch opened up the play for Dortmund.

2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Damn. The Hamburglers suck at defending. The Argentinian Paraguayan scores...

3. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is Barrio's Argentinian? i never knew that.

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Japan 1.25 : Korea 0 [Damn, Kagawa looks good. This is sucks]

Heung Min - ah, gol jib uh nuh! I want to see a brace...

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    you're right. on choppy vision it looked like a shot. Too bad for Veh, Son doesn't play defense.

6. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Petric just missed an unmarked header... JEEEEzzzzzUSSS

[Wow... Terrible defending. They need to do some ball control drills in training.]

[And they need some passing drills too. Omg, their passing is awful right now...]

7. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't see this as a fkcing Japan vs Korea thing. Kagawa is fkcing great but so is Son, just look at him, he is playing fantastic. And he will only get better.

Nice game.

8. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Initial impressions:

1. Damn, Kagawa is the real deal. This is pretty depressing. I saw him play against PSG and thought he was excellent then too.

2. Besic looked good. At least much better than Demel who should be worried about his spot in the starting XI.

3. Troschowski is the worst of the four Polish kids who currently play for Deutschland. He had no control of the midfield. And he's got to pass more. We all know he has great long distance shooting. But so does the other side!

4. Son had an instant impact. Too bad the ball didn't get to him b/c the midfield sucked so badly. And I wished Veh had the balls to put him in earlier when Kacar got hurt. INstead he comes in for the substitute...

5. To extrapolate from the earlier conversation, Bolton might just destroy Hamburg at their current state. I know everyone's injured, but still... That was awful...

9. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I don't expect you to get it, but we want ours (no matter who or what it is) to do better than theirs. Get over it. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate what a talent Kagawa is. I'm jealous they have Honda and Kagawa...

10. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Did Kagawa even play for Japan during the WC?

11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    No. I don't think he made it onto their WC squad. And Morimoto who was on the squad didn't play a minute either I think... Our kids better keep on track, b/c they also have that kid who signed for Arsenal...

12. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    No but he was brought in as a Support Member ; 4 players who were there to learn and live the atmosphere of a World Cup, because the JFA believe in them.
    He should have been on the squad but what is done is done.

13. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Yep. I think he was born and grew up there and all. I think his mom is from Paraguay, and he had just got his Paraguay citizenship after giving up his Argentinian one this spring.

14. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I understand.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And don't feel too bad... "theirs" is anyone!

That was some sorry midfield play today. But I think the defense really caused the whole team to panic and prevent any flow of play out of the backfield.

Westermann has an uncanny knack of missing the ball. I wonder if veh regrets giving him the armband.

16. komina12345

komina12345 Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The reason we all care about this is because a Korean kid plays for Hamburg and a Japanese kid plays for Dortmund and we obviously want Son to do better. Otherwise we wouldn't give a fook about it.

So yeah, it does have a degree of Korea vs Japan here regardless of what you say.

17. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes of course. But be realistic. Maybe you guys should not have so high expecations yet?

18. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Don't worry, no one has crazy expectations on him yet. But he is 18 and I believe he led Hamburg in preseason scoring with 10 goals before his injury after scoring against Chelsea and then scoring in his second game back. Did I mention he's 18?

19. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Even RVN is his prime would not have scored today. Son showed good flare and pace. I think he need a more firm position though. Perhaps replace the invisible Guerrero.

20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah he is already a great fkcing player, probably the best korean I've seen at that age. In Europe I should say.

21. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    imo, japan has always developed better technical players than korea, especially in the midfield. and like u i'm jealous as well, but having said that, sometimes to be a good footballer is more than just technical skill. e.g. park ji sung.

it also takes more than technical skills to have a good team. e.g. korea 2002.

at the end of the day, i would never trade park ji sung for honda...never.

son seems like he's got the whole package but he's still young and still has to prove himself. i like his potential and hopefully he can lead korea in the future.

22. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    eh.. the only thing Japanese technical prowess got them was nice overlapping passes and then lose the ball to defense for the last 10 years.

That and IMO Honda is good not because he's a technical player but because he's freakishly athletic and decisive in and around the box.

23. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    That and he plays with a chip on his shoulder that makes him seem like an old school Korean footballer. I begrudgingly admired the passion he showed in the last haniljeon. :mad:

But, I'd never, ever trade him for PJS. NEVER!!! At the same time, I can see a great career trajectory for Honda as he enters his prime in two/three years time. He has the potential to be a monster. I'm banking on our young guns who play with a degree of arrogance on the pitch to neutralise him in future haniljeons and eclipse him career-wise.

At the end of the day, as much it pains me as a Korean to see Japanese footballers establish themselves in Europe. But at the same time, I'm happy as an Asian to see them contribute at chipping away at some of the ethnocentric views held by Westerners w/r/t Asian footballers/men in general.

[Btw, I'm so impressed with the runs Son makes during the match. I can't believe he's only 18. He's so precocious. Kudos to his dad for instilling in him the proper technical and tactical aspects of the game.]

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I hope he gets the start next week. I think he's deserved it. Many of the guys in front have either been invisible (Guerrero) or visibly horrible (Trochowski). Hopefully he's more in match shape after quite a bit of play after injury.

As for Kagawa/Honda, I think that the increased success will provide greater opportunities for Koreans as well with scouts watching K/J leagues, ACL, Asian Cup, etc. looking for the next Kagawa (what a steal!). So in the end, I root for their continued success as long as it doesn't happen in international play.

25. trudodyr

trudodyr Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Agreed on all accounts. I hope Veh switches to a 4-4-2 with Pitroipa and Son on the wings, and Petric/van Nistelrooy upfront (Chopo-Moting filling in while the latter's injured).
    Heung-Min's best buddy will hopefully be kept at RB, as Demel continues to suck - he really must be one of Bundesliga's worst fullbacks. Shame Sunderland wasn't dumb enough to hire him.