Somewhat MLS/RBNY related - Winter Classic in MLS Stadiums?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by CACuzcatlan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading this thread regarding the Winter Classic on the NY Times hockey blog. Seems like the NHL really wants to put the game New York, but Yankee stadium is gonna be booked for a bowl game the day before. New Meadowlands stadium will probably be out of the equation because of NFL games. One of the commenters mentioned Red Bull Arena as a possible venue. You can probably fit 30k in there with some modifications. Not sure what it would do to the turf, but I'm under the impression that the NHL will pay to replace/fix the damage as part of the rental. What do you guys think of the idea? Seems like it will give the league more exposure indirectly and showcase a beautiful new stadium. I think it would be a good idea.

2. DarthGreedo

DarthGreedo Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm not a big NHL fan but the outdoor game is awesome. I don't see how this could be a bad thing at all. The benefits are debatable but its not a bad idea. Great chance to show off the facility to people that wouldn't have known about it through their ignorance of all things soccer.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL would want more than 30K for that game.

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only because it's New York, maybe. Citi Field would then be the only other candidate in NY. They've had the last two at MLB's two smallest stadiums, so maybe they'd tolerate 30K..

5. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they would schedule a Winter Classic game in RBA unless it's the Devils playing. So it would probably be Citi Field.

RBA would be a great venue for an outdoor hockey game with the steep stands though.

6. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually the entire point behind the winter classic is to hold it in stadiums with huge capacity. Regardless of location.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing to do with playing it outdoors? Like I said, the last two WC's haven't been at NFL stadiums but at MLB stadiums, and two of the smallest ones at tha

8. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    True but those places were 1) Historic and 2) still fit almost 40K. The Leafs kicked the tires about a game a BMO but quickly dismissed the idea because it is too small. If NY gets one it will be played at the new Giants stadium, probably between the Rangers and Washington or Rangers / Devils.

9. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Couldnt the NHL work with the NFL, Giants, and Jets in making sure the day is football free? Especially since the 1st next year is a saturday.

10. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Can't since it is the NFL playoffs and the NHL needs at least 1 week to set up the rink, and I'm guessing more than 24 hours to get it out.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    January 1 is the last week of the NFL regular season. The playoffs don't start until the 2nd weekend in January. The Jets and Giants alternate their schedule pretty consistently week to week with one of them home almost every weekend of the season. No way both teams give up a home game on the last weekend of the season.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, the playoffs don't exactly start on the first of January. It could definitely be arranged.

13. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Are you sure the playoffs will be on the 2nd of next year, that is usually the last week of the regular season.

14. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was a game in Edmonton a while ago, but not on New Years.. maybe a regular season game
    -
    Almost all Canadian cities with hockey have a CFL football stadium.. odd the NHL hasn't thought about a game in Canada.. Probably not big enough or TV coverage issues> Don't know, just throwing ideas out there
    -
    For the states, the Minnesota Wild could host a game in the brand new U of Minn stadium- outdoor 50,000+ no NFL conflicts... Columbus Blue Jackets at Ohio stadium 100,000 !
    -
    I think they have a good thing going on ...

15. CleveGuyOH

CleveGuyOH New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The New Years game will not be in Canada cause NBC will not care to set up and broadcast a game against a canadian team. If whoever carries the NHL rights in Canada wants to do this, I am sure they can arrange to have 2 Canadian teams play on New Years Day, Boxing Day, or any other day that suits the schedule.

16. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the NHL wanted to really push its Winter Classic, they will be looking at major historic venues and 1 blue chip event a year. For New York, that would mean waiting to be able to get into Yankee Stadium, and either Rangers against the Islanders, or Rangers against one of the other original six! Toronto maybe.

As for the new RBNY Stadium. That would come into the picture should the NHL try to expand its Winter Classic and maybe have a few games a year. It is a good size, and the grass would not be too badly damaged. It will be re-grow quickly.

17. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL has announced a second "Winter Classic" type outdoor game next year to be played in Canada. From what I've heard, its probably gonna be in February on Canada's Hockey Day.

Great idea for the Wild. Though I'm not sure that Columbus could get 100k for a hockey game. Maybe if they play Detroit, Toronto, or other teams with huge fan bases (Chicago? Pittsburg?) and get a lot of traveling fans.

18. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Boxing Day would be a horrible idea unless done in Prime Time. Next year the World Juniors are in Buffalo, which means afternoon game times, and the World Juniors are the biggest annual TV event in Canada. During the Gold Medal game this month almost 1/3 of Canada's entire population tuned in to the game at one time or another.

In Canada right now Edmonton and Calgary are the only two cities that make sense and Edmonton has already done this once. Temperatures aren't usually low enough in Vancouver to make the outdoor game realistic. I don't think Ottawa actually has a stadium standing up right now, it was torn down after the '07 U-20 World Cup. Toronto and Montreal have outdoor stadiums, but neither is big enough to make it worth while. Olympic Stadium's roof doesn't come off anymore that I know of, and I'm not sure the Rogers Centre was engineered to be usable in potentially foul weather. True outdoor stadiums are generally weather-proofed, I don't know if that hold true with the building formerly know as The Skydome.

19. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yankee Stadium is no longer a major historic venue. It's one year old.. It has as much history as Citifield and less than Tropicana Field.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's Yankee Stadium. It's legendary no matter the age.

On a different note, but kind of related to the topic (sports in stadiums they don't usually play in), I would absolutely kill to see the Red Bulls play a game at Yankee Stadium.

21. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It has the name, and looks the same.

Not many people would say Wembley is "just a stadium" despite being only a few years old.

22. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it was designed as a replica of the original Yankee Stadium from before the renovations in the 70s.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it's not. So Citifield is legendary because it looks like Ebbets Field? The new Yankee Stadium is not the house that Ruth built or where the three most important stepping stones in the history of the NFL happened (Giants Vs. Notre Dame, the ice bowl and the 58' NFL championship)

New Wembley is just a stadium. It's not the same place that Queen has 100,000 clapping along to Radio Gaga at. It did not host the '66 World Cup.

Old Yankee Stadium is to Highbury as New Yankee Stadium is to Emirates. It's nice. It's not legendary. Legend requires time.

Exactly. A replica. Would a replica of Fenway or Wrigley be the just as legendary?

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one of those three happened at Yankee Stadium.

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops! I meant the sneakers game which was at the Polo Grounds. And ND/NYFG was at Ebbets Field.

Whatever, you get my point. None of them took place in the building currently called Yankee Stadium