Someone is jealous of soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Oct 22, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    I'm taking it as a tongue-in-cheek article. Made me laugh a little...just for a minute.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    nice article!!!

But what does this have to do with MLS?

All he did was bash the WUSA and womens sports..

He may have said all soccer.... but I find it ironic how he never mentioned MLS or the USMNT

4. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    That was a bizarre article. Did you write it as a joke?

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    1. This has nothing to do with MLS. Why is it on this board? If anything it should be on the Soccer in the USA board.

2. That's a lousy letter to the editor. Who cares what that jackass thinks.

3. If you're gonna post that letter then at least post the response too.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/letters/s_160938.html

6. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    LMAO!!

Especially liked this one...

Which reminded me of football players in the weight room during the offseason throwing tape balls at each other.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I haven't read that much vitriol is so little writing about soccer in a while. I consider it healthy to be reminded from time to time that they still exist.

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    bashing women, you won't be able to get any like that...Mr. Harlan very bad thing you did...

9. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I love those respones to the letter. It's amazing how many people have no sense of humor. It's too bad that no one can make a joke these days without laughing really loud and hard at themselves to signal to all the dimwitted ones that it's in jest. Oh well.

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Exactly what tips you off to the fact that it's intended for humor? You don't think that this is what some people believe?

11. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember the meat neck that wrote that letter is from near Pittsburgh. He probably doesn't know what sarcasm is, thinks white people are the only true Americans and 4th grade was his senior year.

12. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    apparently paranoid soccer fans are the worst at recognizing humor.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    FWIW (not much), this issue has already been discussed here

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=78194

and on the Official Soccer Basher thread, where Falcon6 hypothesizes that Fred is the brother of ESPN soccer-board troll Erie Vern.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=36022&perpage=15&pagenumber=13

Starting three posts from the bottom and continuing on the next page.

Personally, I think he's serious. And keep in mind while he suggests the "terrorism" angle in his letter, it's the paper that calls soccer the "sport of terrorist." And keep in mind also that the Tribune Review is the local paper of choice for the region's moron population.

14. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    This man is crazy..... i didn't see any of humor there

15. HogNose

HogNose New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Chihuahuan Desert
    What is more disturbing than this letter are the responses from the allegedly open-minded people on this forum who choose to believe such tripe is authentic.

16. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get a pay pal up for this guy and subscribe him to Soccer America? Or just sign his e-mail up for every soccer related site? That would be some real Soccer Terrorism!

17. Jake E. Boy

Jake E. Boy New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    St. Louis
    -----------------------------------
    Team schedule for New Castle football

Conference record: 1-5-0 Overall: 1-7-0

8/29 7:30 pm Greenville L 12-0
    9/5 7:30 pm Ambridge L 13-0
    9/12 7:30 pm at Hampton L 33-0
    9/19 7:30 pm at Moon L 41-0
    9/26 7:30 pm Montour W 18-6
    10/3 7:30 pm at West Allegheny L 7-0
    10/10 7:30 pm Hopewell L 44-6
    10/17 7:30 pm at Blackhawk L 24-6
    10/24 7:30 pm Belle Vernon
    ----------------------------------

I've found the source of Fred's bitterness - His once proud Red Hurricaines football team is in ruins and he just can't take it anymore.

So much for the "rewards" of football.

18. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Newcastle PA is a very depressed, declining town to begin with. I went to college not too far away, and it is one of many former prosperous Rustbelt towns that are declining. High School sports are one of the remaining sources of civic pride in these areas, and it is not uncommon for people to get genuninely depressed at the thought that their teams are declining.

It probably galls this guy to no end to see a bunch of kids playing other sports when the football team is in shambles. If the football team was doing well, he probably wouldn't care what bunches of other kids were doing (athletically), but he probably views the football team's poor play as a community crisis that requires a community effort to resolve.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is funny. :D

Fred J. Harlan
    GOSTEELERS@prodigy.net

(If you do a search for his name you might find an address for him as well)

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it is my warped sense of humor, but I thought the letter (and the other "soccer is evil letter") was a joke played on the editorial board of the paper.

Anyway, it is the cats that are plotting against us. They are to blame for everything

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a bad, bad thing. ;)

22. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    Tongue-in-cheek....sarcasm.......maybe.

But I can tell you first hand that the sentiment that is in that letter is true in many western PA towns, probably including New Castle, where pointy football is king and many people go stupid over it.

(sorry, I generally don't like to bash folks, but that's the best way to describe it)

23. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Living in Boise has a scant few benefits.

I learn over time, for instance, that several people who call in to the local radio show and bash soccer ARE coaches or youth directors for football or baseball who have a vested interest in bashing the sport. It's usually not basketball, oddly enough.

What you read and hear are the whines of the ineffectual and pathetic. Laugh at them!

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that he thinks that soccer is a sport that requires no skill, yet refers to USA 'failings' at the World Cup. Knowing that soccer is a 'foreign' sport, wouldn't our inability to do well reflect the fact that, until recently, we lacked the athletes with the skills to perform well? He seems to be contradicting himself here.

FWIW, I don't get upset about things like this. I also have no doubt that the letter writer is sincere. It's ignorant and all, but not quite dumb enough to be satire.