Somebody needs to set Dan Wetzel correct on a few facts

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Slater, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Slater

Slater New Member

Link

I love when non-soccer sports "experts" try to put there spin on the situation. It is an Op-Ed if you ask me. His email is at the bottom.

2. abbey

abbey Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Somewhere
    Huh! What exactly do you disagree with? Or are you just disappointed that there is a "pro" Scurry article out there?

It just goes to show that not everybody is an apologist for that petulant sour puss.

3. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...what facts are you talking about? Bri didn't makes all those saves? She was left out of a lot of the endorsments post '99? Hope didn't lose her mind and say those things? The players didn't have a team meeting to address the situation?

I think you maybe disagree with some conclusions he's drawn.

4. Slater

Slater New Member

As a Sports writer he has failed to do his homework and mention the Briana Scurry throwing Siri Mullinix under the bus, way back in 2004. We wouldn't want journalist to point out the whole back story. Again it also shows how we place importance of past accomplishments more heavily than current and forecasting for the future (being proactive). I have nothing against Briana. She was a great goal and probably still is, but you have to look at it from a business perspective by looking at the long term vs. short term goals.

"But Scurry took the field, answered the bell like she has been for the U.S. team for a decade and a half. It wasn't her fault. She gave it all she had. The U.S. got crushed 4-0." This is why it makes me angry. Ryan's decision makes Bri look bad when it should be her swan song, but he screws the whole team and uses Solo as a scapegoat because she opened her mouth and he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to be a real coach and take responsibility for his own actions. Hope has since apologized. He hasn't.

5. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "the Briana Scurry throwing Siri Mullinix under the bus, way back in 2004"

forgive me for not knowing but how exactly did she do that?

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That would be 2000, actually. Scurry said she thought she could've made a difference in the USA's loss.

One difference, though -- Scurry was blaming herself, not the coach, for being the backup.

7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It's definitely an op-ed. He's a columnist. His job.

His basic point is that Scurry hasn't received the recognition she deserves throughout her career. He goes a little overboard in suggesting that it's because she "looks different" rather than the actual reason -- the five players in question had all been around since the first Women's World Cup -- but it's a legitimate point to make aside from that.

That said, you could argue that Joy Fawcett only got recognition in the sense that it was "Mia, Foudy, Brandi, Lilly and that other one." And she may have been the best defender ever in the women's game. Hall of Fame voters apparently forgot all that.

Fame smiles on people for variety of reasons. Mia was the best in the world for a few years, and she did well in TV ads. Foudy had the intangible of leadership. Brandi was a good player who changed positions and happened to be quotable and prone to ... well, wild celebrations. Lilly never picked up quite as much hype as the other three, though she obviously drew attention ahead of this World Cup as the remaining 91er.

Scurry ran naked through the streets of Athens (Georgia, not Greece) as promised, and I might argue that she's better-recognized than Fawcett. But perhaps she deserved a little more.

8. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thanks for pointing this out. Many people reference this issue without focusing on that key aspect.

9. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so it's ok to throw a teammate under the bus as long as you dont blame the coach?

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Bri didn't throw anyone under the bus. Nor did she go "ballistic" on anyone after the match. In her comments, which were made four years later, she took responsibility for not being in form, stated that she changed her attitude and worked to regain her spot.

11. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    You know, it's like this....

So the USA men's team, under the guidance of Bob Bradley, made it to the semi-finals of the 2010 WC (bare with me :eek:)...Tim Howard, who made a single mistake in the first match but since bounced back with 3 shut outs in a row leading the team into the semis on a high against C. Ronaldo and Portugal, who surely want to extract revenge from a painful loss to the US in a previous WC.

24 hours before the game, Bob Bradley made the announcement that Tim Howard will be replaced by Casey Keller, who retired twice, only played 1 game last year in a friendly, is in a wheelchair, but, he has the experience of playing in 2 World Cups, and holds a perfect record against Portugal, unlike Tim Howard, who never faced Portugal...

Ok so...

I'm so disturbed I'm going to stop typing.

12. summers

summers Member

Jul 14, 2007
    A lot of times, shutouts in soccer are the product of team play and the goalie not needing to be tested. Nigeria and England had maybe one quality scoring chance between them. Those are team shutouts, not anything that Solo deserves Solo credit for. She wasn't Kasey Keller stopping Brazil.

Fact is, if North Korea had beaten Sweden, we would have been second in the pool, played Germany in the quarterfinals, perhaps lost that game, and the U.S. fate would have come down to Solo letting the worst goal in World Cup history go right through her hands.

13. newjerseyboy

newjerseyboy New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Solo's comments were completely taken out of context. She never mentioned Scurry by name. All she said was that you cant live on past accomplishments, which is something i think we all agree on. Kinda mysterious that the "team leaders" voted her to be sidelined for Norway, but where were these "team leaders" when coach was making the dumbest move of his life. Were they consulted, did they find out like Solo did, where was Kristine Lilly? She kept her mouth shut like a good worker drone. Im sure more players will support Solo's comments once Ryan is fired and Scurry is retired, for real this time.

Its like a big sorority at US WNT

14. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you for pointing this out. It was four years later, not the same night, and Siri Mullinix hadn't been in the pool of players for years. Bri also didn't offer this analysis on her own, she was asked a straight forward question and answered it. Her obvious intent was blaming herself for allowing herself to have her job taken away because she got out of shape during the houpla of the world cup.

What a lot of people seem to keep forgetting is that the starting keeper job has been Hope's basically because of her kicking game and ability on the ball. Bri has always had quicker reaction times and I'd say her mental game is a lot stronger also. I wouldn't be surprised to see her keep the #1 spot.

15. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see any of the 11 goals that Germany put past the Argentine keeper? There were a couple howlers that dwarf Hope's bungling of a wet ball.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And Hope's obvious intent was to say you don't fix what ain't broke, don't change goalkeepers 5 games into a World Cup.

It was not to diss Scurry and that her comments were taken that way shows only that they were emotional and not well-thought out, not that they were meant to put down anyone.

17. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I think the fact that it was four years later speaks more. She had plenty of time to sit on that and its clear it was still fresh. She may have meant she was out of shape the same way hope meant ryan made a mistake, fact is out of context both can be seen as an attack on another player. I find it questionable that her hands are any better then solo's and she lacks ability for high balls (like in norway game-hope could reach that). whats more her kicking game is down right dangerous. I mean is cat going to have to start taking goal kicks (because bri can barely reach midfield). Solo is the better keeper and she is better rounded. Bri was a great keeper, but she should retire. Its time for this program to start looking foreward. we should be emulating us basketball which brings in almost a completely new team every olympics. We still win, and we share the experience with a lot more people.

18. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly, Scurry's comment is still the same as Solo's with the only difference being there was no direct dig at the coach.

Both were indirect criticisms of a teammate that may not have been intended that way but can be taken that way. (in Hope's case she has apologised and recognized that they were taken that way).