Some stuff to chew on....

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Hey Ladies and Gents,

Hope things have been going well. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to Argentina with the team, so I apologize in being out of touch for some period of time. I really appreciate all your posts on my last thread and we're definitely taking every suggestion seriously - even Merlin's.

Overall, I think we're feeling really good about things. The technical staff is pleased with the fitness and tactical progress the guys have made this pre-season. Having been in FL and Argentina for so long, the guys have really come together and it sounds as though we're much more of a team than last year. PV and I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Curt and the guys and feel like we got what we were looking for in a staff. I think we feel like the "needs" that were identified going in to the off-season will be addressed by the opener.

Our South American scouting is developing rapidly. I think we started some really good relationships down there that are going to reap benefit for the club for years to come. Additionally, I'm pretty confident that we'll have a game exchange finished up in time for a game late this year - pending Arrowhead's availability. As a side note, I've heard you loud and clear and it's my goal to develop as many international and US soccer matches as possible in KC for years to come. Why wouldn't we.....

By the way - season ticket holders will be getting access to videos of our Boca Juniors and Riverplate matches. I'm not sure if it will be via the internet or on DVD - stay tuned.

On another front, we're going to announce a south-of-the-border relationship either this week or next, depending on some logistics. This is going to be a great thing for our club on a number of fronts: (i) player development, (ii) game exchange, and (iii) marketing. I hope you're all pleased with the info as it comes out.

Stadium negotiations are progressing well. We've got great opportunities on both sides of the state line and are really pleased with how hard the Eco Devo people are working for our cause. We would obviously like to have something announced in the near term.

If you get a chance, drive down by 63rd and Lewis over the course of the next few weeks - the training center is making progress.

Lastly, we're starting what we're calling our "Center Circle Series" this week. Basically, we ask season ticket holders/fans/corporate partners to host an event (that we pay for) and invite their closest friends/customers. At the event we talk about the team, the future, and why you should get involved. The ask from us is to buy tickets. We really need to keep growing the fan base, and we're going to work hard to do so. If any of you would ever be interested in hosting a CCS, let me know or call Greg Cotton at the office.

Take care.....rh

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is amazing stuff. I just have to say that I am really enjoying being a Wizards fan right now and I am really looking forward to where the organization as a whole goes in 2007.

3. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    That may be the first real mistake you've made as an ownership group. :)

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some could say the first real mistake was hiring you. ;)

BURN. :D

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this i like. it's one of the "little things" that would've never happened under hsg.

this is very good news. although, i don't know how i'll feel about it if it turns out to be santos laguna.
    doesn't get much more grassroots than this ... and i like it. i'm already going to pass this idea on to a couple people who might be able to take advantage of it.

6. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Nawww... I do good work. I just have horrible ideas ;)

7. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beat me to it.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Robb-
    This type of stuff is what has been missing for 10 years. THANK YOU.

9. Jock the Wizard

Jock the Wizard New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Perth,Scotland
    From looking at your forums and websites compared to here in Scotland , the impression is that your team REALLY DOES VALUE the fans and doesn't just look at them as money making machines.

Example:

Access to pre season friendlies by PC or DVD- Great! In Scotland that would be sold on dvd for about £10!

Centre Circle Events- Again here they would make you pay thru the nose.

For goodness sake they even make kids pay to be mascots at most teams now!

No, please stay this way it is refreshing and must be good to be an "up close fan" who can take advantage of these things.

10. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, but you forgot to tell Robb the Wizards really need to do their pre-season in Sevilla next year so you can come down to warm up after a hard, cold Scotish winter.:D

11. Jock the Wizard

Jock the Wizard New Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Perth,Scotland
    :) Very Good!:)

How about subsideised travel for foreign supporters to home games???:D

12. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb - Thanks for the info. We love getting this stuff.

Mods - could this be stickied? (yeah, I know it will float to the top, but maybe sticky for a week?)

13. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes some good information on events here. We'll let'er stick until pregame etc.. type stuff start to pop up.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, it's only been this way for about a half year... since the takeover. and in fairness, the old ownership didn't look at us as money making machines. they just didn't look at us at all. there's good ownership, greedy ownership, and then indifferent ownership.

15. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info...

16. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Man it sucks that I just moved away from KC (just moved to Florida 4 months ago). It sounds like things are really rolling forward with the new ownership group with some great news coming out. Please keep the info coming, as us distance-KC fans can only get KC news on the web. It sucks not being able to go to games anymore, hang with the players occasionaly, tailgating, etc. good times were had!

17. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    this is incredible stuff. seriously. I'm really, really excited to be a fan right now.

18. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jock, if you fly over here after drawing the Wizards out of a hat, you'll get a tour of Kansas City barbecue places on me, plus your very own personalized tour of the Wizards front office, training facility and Arrowhead Stadium.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Two-timer.

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dammit all the love goes to the Scots and not the English! ;)

21. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.aerlingus.com

690.46 Euros round trip from Glasgow to St. Louis. $253 from St. Louis to KC according to www.orbitz.com (there may be something out there cheaper). Travel dates 2 May and 21 May. That gives you 2 home games and a road trip to Denver. The Kansas City Barbeque alone is worth that.;)

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Used the same dates as Qdog.

936 US - 703 Euro on Continental with one stop all the way to KC on orbitz.com. Bad news is, you have to stop in Newark...

1025.16 US - 769 Euro on United. This was the cheapest flight I saw at lastminutetravel.com which didn't require a change of airport. They occasionally have good deals.

23. directorman

directorman New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Omaha
    This stuff sounds great! Thanks for the info!

24. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff...Anybody pumped for the first game? I can't wait.