Some rock concert questions

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by BakedAlaskan, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    1) Queensryche, Bangor (ME) Auditorium, Halloween, 1991.

2) Aerosmith/Black Crowes a couple of years ago in Cologne, Germany. Not that I was surprised about how good Aerosmith was, but DAMN! Special mention goes to this year's Hollyweird tour, where I had fourth row seats for Poison/Cinderella/Winger in Manchester, NH.

3) Worst was HIM, a Finnish goth metal band from Finland that I saw in Cologne. They are pretty popular in Europe, and have some really cool songs IMO (download Join Me, Poison Girl, Right Here in My Arms, Heartache Every Moment or Pretending if you're interested in some heavy yet catchy European goth rock). But they absolutely sucked live - great shame, because otherwise I'd go see them again. Honorable mention goes to Beck in Cologne a couple of years ago. Just not my type of music, I guess, but man did he suck IMO.

4) Scorpions in their prime - Crazy World Tour, 1990 (I think) at the Ball Park in Old Orchard Beach, ME. We had tickets and the bastards cancelled the rest of their tour to go shoot a video in South America. I was pissed off at them for a long time - but I couldn't stay mad at the Scorps! Honorable mention again to a reunited The Cult, who cancelled their Cologne show last year, I think because of 9/11.

2. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    1) Democracia Sexual in Los Angeles, Chile. This was around 91 or 92 and they were actually a very good rock band. Pretty good first show.

2) This is between Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, DMX, Sister Hazel, and the London Symphony Orchestra. I saw Flogging Molly at the warped tour just last week and they were fantastic. I don't think I was ever as impressed with a band as I was after that show. The musicians were amazing and the music was great fun. Last year, Less than Jake put on a show in the middle of a parking lot in Gainesville, and it was as much fun as a show can be. The crowd was jumping in unison the whole time.

oh yeah, DMX is amazing live. No doubt. Him crying at the end while he prayed was actually pretty emotional.

I saw a Sister Hazel show in the plaza of an all-girl's college in Atlanta with two girls all over me. That was a great show.

The LSO is as good as music gets, don't ever pass an opportunity to see them live.

3) John Mayer. Good musician, not bad tunes. Just not my style.

4) Wyclef Jean in '98. Supposedly, only 50 or so people showed so he let everyone backstage for a kick-ass after party. I'm sorry I missed that.

3. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    I caught a Vanilla Ice show two years ago. He tried to play his new Rock material, but for some reason his band didn't show. He was stuck free-styling the whole time. He mostly refused to do his old stuff, but he did do "ice ice baby". It was priceless. The man is still a pretty good showman.

Of course, I went for the laughs.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Connoiseurs of chicken-choking guitar solos need to find the REO live album (or 8 track) in some salvation army discount bin to check out "Gary's Guitar Solo," a Reader's Digest condensation of the 20 minute thing MeridianFC points out. In short, he's not sh!tt!ng us on the magnitude of Gary Richrath's (?) guitar stylings.

5. dcsiouxfan

dcsiouxfan New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Warrenton, VA
    1. Saw the Beach Boys at the Minnesota State Fair in the late 70's, but that was with the 'rents, so I dont think it counts. A friend paid for me to go to Blue Oyster Cult with him and his brother around 1982. The first one I paid for was the Kinks, State of Confusion 1983.

2. The best was either the Violent Femmes, 1985, Laurie Anderson, 1986 or Black Flag, 1986.

3. The most disappointing was the Who, 1984 in the first of their many farewell tours. It was a good concert, but I have soured on them since then.

4. The Replacements.

6. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st: Hall & Oates, with Joan Jett and some crapmeister named Aldo Nova opening, at the New Haven Coliseum in 1982.

Best: Butthole Surfers at the Channel in Boston, 1988. Honorable mention for some shows that I went to with zero expecations because I had never heard the band: Hole at the Rat in Boston a year or two before they got famous, the Boredoms and the Jesus Lizard (different shows) at the Paradise in the mid-90s.

Worst: 90% of the shows I've seen have on college campuses or small/medium clubs, so I've seen dozens of really wretched bands, but I usually make a point of forgetting them.

Regret: the Waterboys in 1985 or 6. They were touring with the 'This is the Sea' album, and they had a date at the Paradise in Boston. I was living in New Hampshire at the time and had driven down the night before to see another show. I was hung over, exhausted, had never been to the Paradise and didn't buy tickets in advance, so I just decided to skip it. The line up of the band completely changed a few months later, and Mike Scott adopted a much less risky and interesting vocal style for the next decade.

7. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Rolling Stones at LA Coliseum. "Tattoo You," tour; same show that Prince got booed off the stage.

2.Peter Gabriel. LA Forum. "So" tour.

3.Monster Magnet opening for Danzig. I fell alseep.

4.First post-Moon Who tour. Had tickets to the LA Sports Arena. Had to cxl last minute.