Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Reacher S2….I think I preferred it when he worked alone but I’m not gonna complain with Serinda Swan.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Definitely a different feel from season 1, but still enjoyable. Kicking the hood is a visual I'll never forget.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot watch Reacher S2 as it is just a vehicle to glorify his violence. Hell, that was Reacher S1 after episode 3 (or maybe 2). Suspension of disbelief and all that, but having worked in an environment in which violence was casually promoted and endorsed, I can't see Reacher S2 for anything but that.

Ismitje repped this.
  4. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    I quite liked it when Lombardozzi asked Reacher which one was killed with the barbeque :ROFLMAO:

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My main gripe about Reacher is that they are making him kind of boring by not giving him even some of the few weaknesses Lee Child gave him. e.g. his dislike of driving and how he is genuinely bad at it.

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Someone brought this commercial to mind today and I had to watch it again.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made it halfway through the season and - even acknowledging violence is a large part of the Reacher universe - didn't want to continue for just this reason.

Belgian guy and soccernutter repped this.
  8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Belgian guy repped this.
  9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Signal on Netflix was right up my alley. 4 episode miniseries, about 1 hour per episode, and just a really tight story that was well told. Enough twists and turns to keep me interested and the acting was stellar. This is the second thing I've watched with Peri Baumeister, Sleeping Dog was another German Netflix series she was stellar in last year, and if she was a primarily English speaking actress she would be a huge star.

I watched with the regular English subtitles but actually kept up with a bit of the German.

[​IMG]

Ismitje, soccernutter and Belgian guy repped this.
  10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wait, that's not Shia LaBeouf? :eek:

TheJoeGreene and soccernutter repped this.
  11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Invincible is back. :)

Show Spoiler
    Dupli-Kate :(

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Masters of the Air was brilliant from beginning to end and earned its place with Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Just a beautifully brutal show.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the first episode of "The Brothers Sun" on Netflix and it was fun. We;ll watch the full eight hours.

upload_2024-3-20_22-32-57.jpeg

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So X-Men '97 is kind of good? Certainly better and more interesting than I thought it had any hope of being after 25 years.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/welcome-to-wrexham-season-3

Welcome to Wrexham season 3 release date
    The past two seasons of Welcome to Wrexham debuted during the fall TV season after the previous soccer season ended. Season 1, which mostly covered the 2021-22 National League season, aired in late August 2022, and season 2 debuted in September of this year after the 2022-23 Wrexham season ended.
    But for season 3, the showrunners are throwing us a bit of a curveball. Instead of a fall kickoff, season 3 will be released on FX on Thursday, April 18 and arrive on Hulu the following day (Fri. April 19).

17. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Winter Anime Round-up

[​IMG]
    Frieren: Beyond Journey's End ~ Madhouse

I picked up a subscription to Crunchyroll in the fall largely based on the hype for this series, and it somehow exceeded that hype. The hook is that it's a fantasy series that starts after the demon king has been defeated. The elf mage, Frieren, of the hero's party has an almost infinitely larger life span than the human members of the party and must grapple with loss and what that 10 year journey meant for her. It's a slow burn often focusing on small moments and interactions, but when the anime does big action set-pieces, they are fantastic. 10/10

[​IMG]
    The Apothecary Diaries ~ OLM/Toho

Maomao, the adopted daughter of an apothecary, is kidnapped and forced into indentured work in the rear palace (housing for the emperor's concubines). She quickly distinguishes herself by solving mysteries with her knowledge of medicines and poisons. Very fun detective-like story, with a great main character. 9/10

[​IMG]
    Shangri-La Frontier ~ C2C

In a near future where fully-immersive VR games are the norm, a high-school student who loves beating "trash" games (e.g., broken, glitchy games) decides to try to popular AAA MMO game, Shangri-La Frontier. His skills and unorthodox approach quickly give him access to a unique scenario and the unwanted attention of all the other players. That description probably doesn't sell this much, but this anime is hilarious and gets a lot about video games and gamers right and has been a joy to watch every week. 9/10

I feel pretty lucky to have picked up all three of these that ran through both fall and winter seasons and am worried spring will be bland without them.

Others:
    Solo Leveling ~ A-1
    Power fantasy, where main character goes from weakest to elite due to his life becoming a literal video game. This is just okay. Cool action, but lousy character development. 7/10

Metallic Rouge ~ Bones
    Sci-fi where a super-powered nean (android) is on a mission to destroy other neans who are seeking to free all neans and overthrow humanity (maybe?). Very cool animation, but the story is near incomprehensible to follow from week-to-week. Maybe easier if binging the 13 episodes. 6/10

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic ~ Shin Ei/Add
    Isekai where a kid gets accidentally transferred to a fantasy world with his two classmates who are expected to be heroes. Turns out he has special healing magic in this world, though. This was okay for what it is. It's not deep or thoughtful in any way, but it's enjoyable. 7/10

Ishura ~ Passione
    Fantasy where demon king has been defeated and now humanity is vying for someone to take the helm as hero of the world, or something. Like Metallic Rouge, the story was all over the place. They introduced a ton of characters and killed a lot of them off . In the last 5 minutes of the final episode, they show a flashback that explains what's been going on and that pretty much the whole season was a preamble for something else. 5/10

Belgian guy and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Three episodes into 3 Body Problem on Netflix and I'm utterly intrigued but my ultimate reaction so far is "huh?"

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Damn The Regime is becoming a hard watch. Even Kate Winslet, Matthias Schoenaerts and Hugh Grants obvious effort cannot hide that this is essentially an Armando Iannucci show without anyone of the talent of Iannucci involved. The attempts at satire are so flat and uninspired.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    An AI commercial for a 1950s theme park. This is how we should be using AI.

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So...when I watch the VOD version of Night Court and Extended Family on YouTube TV, instead of the DVR of the episodes, something bizarre happens.

Night Court has all the commercial in English, but Extended Family, which has a much less diverse cast, has all the commercials in Spanish. I don't get it, and I'm sure it's somehow related to being in Lubbock, but I can't figure out what part of the algorithm is doing that.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Invincible is honestly consistently one of my favorite things to watch every week.
    My only complaint is that an eight episode season is way too short.
    Only consolation is that it appears we might get season three in 2024 as well.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The meta commentary about the difficulty of animating things and the shortcuts they take had me howling. They've made just enough tweaks from the comics to take one of my favorite stories ever and turn it into something even better.

Belgian guy repped this.
  25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Constellation certainly finished their season. I'm still not sure exactly what they were doing, or what they set up if they get a second season, but it kept my interest the entire time.

Just now starting the first episode of A Gentleman in Moscow. Hopefully it gets the major points of the book across while taking advantage of what the TV medium offers. The cast looks phenomenal.