Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Have been enjoying Invincible season two but how can we already have a mid-season break after four episodes? Does this have to do with the labor issues/strikes in the movie & TV industry or was it always going to be like this?

2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was because of the strikes. It got delayed a couple of times and then they announced the split season just a month or so before release. No exact date on the second part yet but Robert Kirkman has said early 2024.

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Voice cast is very good in general (I also love Gillian Jacobs as Atom Eve) but Simmons, Yeun and Oh especially stand out. Some of Oh's work this season has been fantastic.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

That's what they are there for! Not sure how they are in the comics, but in the TV show they are clearly used as comic relief, even if and when they take part in more serious plot lines.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're the most unchanged characters from the comics, along with Allan. A lot of characters got updates/modernized, but the Mauler's are exactly what they were in the comics. The whole bit about knowing one is the clone was straight out of a comic issue.

Belgian guy repped this.
  6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm rewatching the Jon Lovitz season of NewsRadio, and it's better than I thought when it happened. No replacement for Phil Hartman was going to be good enough, but he was about as good as they could have done.

Ismitje and Belgian guy repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Slow Horses is back. :)

8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Frasier has gotten pretty good near the end of the season. It's still not on par with the original series, but the characters and the writers seem to have settled in on how they all fit together.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Slow Horses took no time whatsoever to get going this season. :)

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not really TV related, and not a movie review, so I picked this spot for the Catherine O'Hara part of Macaulay Culkin's Walk of Fame ceremony.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Slow Horses is obscenely good this season. They set the bar high in the first season and it's just getting better. I'm going to have to hop on reading the books soon.

Belgian guy repped this.
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What. A. Cliffhanger! this week. :eek::eek::eek:

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A Murder at the End of the World is finally over.

It's okay. They didn't recapture the magic of The OA, but it was a decent enough story told in a quirky manner until the dud of a finale.

Belgian guy repped this.
  14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    To me it was a show that somehow got worse with each new episode, culminating in that almost embarrassing finale. Not great and a waste of a great cast. Clive Owen can be an electrifying performer, including on serialized television (check out the Knick). The way he was used here alone was a crime.

My favorite moment of the entire series had already occurred within fifteen minutes of the opening episode.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a quick search and didn't see anything about Reservation Dogs, which surprises me (unless of course I just missed it, which would NOT surprise me). Anyway, this series is trending toward being one of my favorites, ever. I'm only part way through season 2 and it just gets better and better.

TrickHog and Belgian guy repped this.
  16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Enjoying season 2 of Reacher, and they really got me with the friend surprise this episode. I didn't put it together, at all, despite the fact that they were in Boston.

Belgian guy repped this.
  17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Geico Caveman is back. The new commercial just aired during the Bengals at Steelers game.

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Slow Horses was excellent, again. The season 4 teaser at the end tossed in a really fun hook for whenever it airs.

I'm really enjoying season 2 of What If? as well. They've had some misses with the Marvel shows, but the two season twos that they've done have been excellent.

19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why I still buy physical media

I've got the same 4k blu-ray player mentioned in this article, but I waited around for a sale and got it for $350. That usually happens 2-3 times per year for that particular model.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Extended Family is off to a decent start. I'm not sure how long they can run with the gimmick of the show, but it's nice to have a standard sitcom again.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've just started, and got a big kick out of a joke in the first episode. Robert Patrick's character is told Reacher and Neagley have checked into a hotel under the names Sarah Connor and Starlin Castro, and he readily identifies Castro but says he "Doesn't give a shit" who Sarah Connor is. That's gold.

upload_2024-1-2_21-31-49.jpeg

Belgian guy and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  23. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fool Me Once was too convenient by half.

I haven't read a Harlan Coben book, but if this kind of ending where the whole story is just a lazy unreliable narrator then I probably won't. It was a compelling show until the last couple of episodes as it felt they were "revealing" things that shouldn't have been hidden and then the final reveal is that we've been lied to the entire time and some parts were intentionally told out of sequence. It should have been really good, but especially that final episode was a major let down.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A little over 25 years ago:

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Monarch has been really good, maybe better than the movies. I'm almost caught up in time for the finale this week, and I've got to say I like the leads in each of the locations/times.

Anna Sawai is so good that I think I'm going to finally get around to watching Pachinko soon as it's been on my list but just not quite gotten up to the top yet. Joe Pickett has also been especially good. The Wyatt/Kurt Russell role has been intriguing.

It took me too long to realize that the Verdugo character was being played by Mirelly Taylor and not Rose Byrne.