Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Episode 3 of Mandalorian was really good, mostly because it felt more like Andor. The rest of the season has been meh.

NORML and Belgian guy repped this.
  2. Aimercat

Aimercat Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i still need to watch Andor

NORML repped this.
  3. Aimercat

Aimercat Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why did Marjan Marwani have to stress me da fuq out like that last night on 911 Lone Star....damn you Firefox...you almost had me reaching for my xannies.

both those gay firefighter shows been putting me through it lately.

4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shrinking is one of the most surprising things I've seen this year. It might be the Apple+ show with the best mix of heart and humor outside of Ted Lasso. Really good season finale, and did that final scene actually happen?

5. Aimercat

Aimercat Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snowfall.....wow....come on Wanda, you only gotta make it 4 more episodes. you can do it.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heart and humor is also a good way to describe "Mythic Quest."

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Two episodes of Lucky Hank have aired, and it feels like a winner. Cranston is his usual fantastic self and most of the rest of the cast is holding up their end of things.

8. Aimercat

Aimercat Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quantum Leap reboot out here giving me massive anxiety with that last episode with Ben in the asylum.

9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Episodes 3 & 5 have been good for the Mandalorian this season. Both featured almost no Grogu and had a lot more of the political intrigue and world building elements that the pew pew fans don't like.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Big Door Prize is one of the most interesting approaches to existential crisis I can recall. They accomplish quite a bit in 30 minute episodes. It looks like Apple+ has yet another hit on their hands, and this one might have quite a few seasons worth of possibilities to explore.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Westworld, The Nevers, Raised By Wolves, The Time Traveler's Wife, and other assorted HBO/HBO Max programming are now on Roku Channel and Tubi.

SpencerNY repped this.
  12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finally watched The Terminal List. Quit after 3 episodes the first time. Read the first couple of books in the series and decided to give the show another chance. It gets to mostly the same places at the end, but several of the changes make it far less compelling. The antagonists are all paper thin as essentially no time is spent developing them. The big twist at the end plays out completely differently and makes almost no sense. Still a decent enough season, but not great and I hope they figure out a better approach to season 2.

13. Aimercat

Aimercat Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 more episode left of Snowfall....come on leon and wanda, i know you can make it out alive!

Drag Race: the right queen won!

Top Chef: Champagne Padma came out to play this week

Survivor: this season is giving me life after i bailed on last season after 1 episode cuz all those ppl sucked.

The Flash: OMG....the next ep is gonna be insane but i have to wait like 3 weeks to watch it because i'll be in Europe so it will just be sitting on my DVR

RIP to The Resident, but the ending was done perfectly in case they did indeed call it quits. no complaints.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Perry Mason season two has been excellent. A huge step up from season one, which I already enjoyed.
    Would be great if we get a third installment.

bungadiri and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's on my shortlist of shows to watch this summer when there's a lull in new stuff.

Belgian guy repped this.
  16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Of the shows I have watched in the last year, this and Andor are easily the best two.

17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like Matthew Rhys in pretty much everything I've seen him in, so I suspected it would be really good. He doesn't seem to make bad choices on projects.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They developed this for RDJ but I'm glad he didn't end up playing Mason. I feel like his version would be more ironic. Rhys plays it more straight, whilst still maintaining a cynical outer shell for his Mason.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am looking forward to Mrs. Davis on Peacock. Betty Gilpin stars in a nun-vs.-AI series.

Belgian guy and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Is he working at T-Mobile now?"

"Uh, I think you have to work at T-Mobile when you're in prison."

Welcome back to another season of Beavis and Butt-Head.

Mike03 repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I thought Star Trek Picard season three was an exercise in pure nostalgia. And unfortunately just seeing most of the TNG cast reunited wasn't enough to make the ten episode run memorable.
    Most of it felt more as if it was crushed underneath the weight of legacy instead of being elevated by it. Was never allowed to be its own thing, instead always having to be tied back into some old bit of plot or canonical reference.

Also, like Discovery, the interiors of these shape-ships are so poorly lit as to be unwelcoming and claustrophobic environments. Of the "new" Star Trek shows, only Strange New Worlds is not (as) guilty of this.

Mostly it made me look forward to Strange New Worlds season two, which whilst not flawless itself has felt most like real Trek to me out of all of these shows. And it definitely can boast my favorite cast of all of these shows.

Mike03 and Ismitje repped this.
  22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dear Edward got cancelled by Apple TV+. They almost never cancel a show after a single season. I now feel justified in saying it's the worst show I saw on their service.

Shrinking and The Big Door Prize have both gotten a second season renewal already.

23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jury Duty.

:ROFLMAO:

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fantastic so far. It's wonderfully quirky and unhinged. Between this and Poker Face, it looks like Peacock is finally getting serious about their shows.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The vibe I get is first season Dirk Gently - one has no idea what angle the next thing will come from, or what tone will come next, or anything really.