Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The past two episodes of Andor might be the best two hours of Star Wars other than Empire. And maybe that's only because I'm old.

NORML and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Episode 8 was the best tension building hour of Star Wars ever made. Empire still holds a special place for me, but I already liked Rogue One a little more than it and now Andor has rocketed to the top of the list. That's not a slight to Empire at all.

Andor is a great TV show that happens to be in the Star Wars universe.

NORML repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's too good to last. Going to enjoy it while I still can.

NORML and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Cabinet of Curiosities: still loving it. But their H.P. Lovecraft day didn't really convince me 100%. Some inspired choices, like casting the innately weird Crispin Glover as Pickman in the adaptation of Pickman's Model. But the structure of that episode was weird, to the detriment of the tension.
    Best two episodes are still Lot 36 and The Autopsy.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Done with Cabinet of Curiosities.

The Panos Cosmatos entry was as bonkers as you'd expect.

But they saved the best for last: Jennifer Kent's The Murmuring is another reminder of what a great director she is. Not just a great horror director, but a great director full stop. Give her all the money to make ten more of these please.

Mike03 repped this.
  6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The first episode of Tulsa King was better than I expected, even for a Taylor Sheridan show. The trailers made it seem more comedic than it is, and what we got instead was Stallone as a stone cold capo figuring out the beginnings of how to be the only mob guy in Tulsa. Really good start.

Also started watching The English on Amazon Prime. It's a 6 episode miniseries, starring Emily Blunt as a character that moves to the US and befriends a Pawnee Indian who was a Sergeant in the army before meeting her. About halfway through so far, and it's one of the best epic westerns I've seen, with the kind of quality you would expect from Unforgiven, 3:10 to Yuma, etc. It's feels like it's going to be a really good 6 hour movie split into 6 episodes. It's probably a strong 2nd to Andor for my favorite show this year.

7. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Peripheral is still pretty good, but it's starting to drift into too much convolution/silliness at the 5 episode mark. I'll certainly keep watching through the end of this season, but maybe not after that.

Watched the first two episodes of The Santa Clauses on Disney+ and found them to be cute/charming the way the movies were. Maybe not quite as good, but it's only 6 episodes total, with them being about 30 minutes each, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Andor is the bets show on TV this year, full stop. Maybe the best of the last few years.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Andor is my favorite of this year as well.
    N°2 on the list is harder to decide. Might be the second season of The White Lotus.

9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Dead to Me - Season 3

One of those shows that really had no business being as good as it was, and they finished with a strong 3rd season. Lots of quirky shenanigans, believable impossibilities, stellar acting, and a resolution that felt like it was in line with the first two seasons.

They relied more on serious moments this season, and got me misty eyed several times, but they never abandoned why the show worked. Just a lot of fun and I'm sad that it's over.

I will say it was really nice to see:

Show Spoiler

Katey Sagal and Christina Applegate on screen together again.

Applegate and Cardellini are just a delightfully quirky duo and they did an amazing job of working in a storyline to deal with the reality of Applegate's MS diagnosis while enhancing the show.

Ismitje repped this.
  10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Peyton Manning makes an appearance in The Santa Clauses, and through 3 episodes the show is hitting just right.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Andor season finale was satisfying, but not the best episode of the season imho.

The thing I liked the least is that the Empire kind of looked incompetent during that memorial scene and one of the things Andor has done is make the Imperial operatives look quite competent and thus also far more scary than they usually are in any SW content. That was much closer to the "Stormtroopers that cannot shoot straight" meme we usually get in SW. Something Tony Gilroy has utterly avoided otherwise this first season.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    White Lotus season two is great.

Show Spoiler
    Pretty clear that Greg is trying to scam Tanya with the help of his gay lover?

Also Lucia setting up a scam for poor naive little Albie.

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yellowstone is still flying along as the best show on TV.

Tulsa King is better than I expected through 4 episodes.

George & Tammy had an amazingly good first episode and it seems like they'll have plenty for a 6 episode miniseries.

The Peripheral was good. Got a little convoluted towards the end, and I'm not sure that I like the hook for a potential second season, but it was good for at least the first season.

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Took my time to digest each episode of The English and finished it off today. Just exceptional. It borders on being high art in western form.

chaski repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really enjoying "Three Pines" on Amazon. The primary and secondary mysteries are terrific, and Alfred Molina is a great lead. Three of eight episodes have aired.

Belgian guy repped this.
  16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Santa Clauses was more in line with the tone of the first movie than either of the sequels. Tim Allen's daughter did a good job as his daughter in the show. It's not anything groundbreaking as a show, but I can definitely imagine watching it every few years just for something light and fun.

17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Wednesday (2022 - Netflix)

I'm not a big Tim Burton fan, but this worked. It's a pretty good little whodunit set in a believable version of the "Addams" world. Ortega is a star in the making between this, Scream, and X (I haven't seen that one yet). Several other people put in good to very good performances, but I particularly enjoyed Emma Myers as Enid.

Apparently the show has already passed 1 billion hours of viewing and is now the second most watched English language show on Netflix, trailing only Stranger Things.

NORML repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #793 Ismitje, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    Agreed on Wednesday, we just finished watching. Really fun. And Enid's character is the glue of the show.

Also watching Only Murders in the Building, in which Sting has a bit part playing himself. There's a scene with him and Martin Short's character in an elevator with his dog, which is bothering Sting. And Short says "don't stand so close to Sting," which struck me as uproarious in the moment.

Belgian guy repped this.
  19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OMITB is a surprisingly good show. Steve Martin and Martin Short are always good when given something to work with, but Selena Gomez really holds her own with those two heavyweights.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's the great chemistry between the three leads that is like 95% of the enjoyment.
    It makes sense for Martin & Short who have been friends for like forever, but they have it with Gomez too.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Kindred (2022 - Hulu)

Kindred is really well done and ends on a great cliffhanger. No official season 2 yet, but they need to do at least one more. I'm honestly not familiar with any of the actors, but they all do really believable jobs, with Mallori Johnson, Ryan Kwanten, and Gayle Rankin being excellent every time they're on screen. I've added the novel to my ever growing list of things to read, if for no reason other than to compare the moments in the "present" from 1979 and 2022.

NORML repped this.
  22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, the most important superhero tv series/movie of 2022 has gotta be the Peacemaker tv show. Before Peacemaker Gunn made a solid The Suicide Squad reboot and then took one of the most vile superhero/villan from that flick and created a character. It worked and I believe that is when Warner handed Gunn the keys to DC to shape a Universe to his liking, and I gotta admit I am curious of it more than Marvel for the first time in ages.

Also who ever called for European 80s to 90s metal to be the shows soundtrack deserves a raise. The open credits is a masterpiece

Serengeti_Boy, spejic and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  23. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Several of those bands are actually current/younger bands and a few are from the US. The Cruel Intentions is a band from Norway whose debut album came out in 2018.

Being able to find that style in both the original time frame and more modern day is stunning.

NORML repped this.
  24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    George & Tammy was really good. It had a few flaws here and there, but nothing major and it did a good job of telling the insane stories of both in their drug and alcohol infused career peaks as well as the effects that had on them until the very end. Shannon and Chastain were excellent as the leads and the supporting case was solid across the board with Walton Goggins putting in some great work as Peanutt.

spejic and NORML repped this.
  25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tulsa King ended up being pretty good all season, but I'm not so sure about the setup for a potential second season. They'll need to tighten some things up.

spejic and NORML repped this.