Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had asked me to predict how the show ended after two seasons or so, I would have said “the cheap way out is Saul gets a comeuppance and Kim perseveres.” Well shot and acted, for sure. But conventional as all hell.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What she did every single episode on Orphan Black is honestly some of the most impressive acting I have ever seen.

3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *inaudible* Either way I bought Fire and Blood cause I ain't waiting weekly to know this story.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Some of the decisions being made after the WB-Discovery merger make no sense.
    They are hollowing out HBO Max from the inside out. They are essentially shedding almost all animation content. Including some WB/DC properties, which have a rich history.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I still don't understand how the Discovery people are the ones in charge.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They definitely have zero appreciation for WB's history.

And if this is meant to be a shock and awe course correction, it is incredibly unclear what the new course is supposed to be.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the channel that will be carrying US National Team games starting next year? We're preparing to subscribe when that happens and liked the idea of all else we were going to get.

8. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was HBO or Amazon I would release the seasons (HotD/LoTR) to theaters but broken up, with multiple episodes. Says the first two episodes as Sunday night but release the third early Friday night at theaters, along with episode two as intro to start it out. The greatness of TV right now is the tech and artist behind everything. Seeing them on the big screen would be a huge bonus. And ticket sales.

9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would it be worth the cost? Streamers are doing nearly simultaneous theater and TV releases for some movies, but I'm not sure if that kind of thing would be baked into the budget for the TV shows.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Done with Evil. Looking forward to season four.
    Really enjoyable show. It's hard to pin down. Some parts of it reminded me of early X-Files (especially the team that is divided along believers/non-believers). And the allowance for a quirky/silly tone at times. Whereas its creature concepts and increasingly weird lore was more reminiscent of latter season Supernatural.
    Also great chemistry among the three leads. All three of which are great, though Katja Herbers as Kristen Bouchard is the real MVP of this ensemble, the heart of both of the primary narrative threads: her professional career as an assessor and her increasingly complex family life.

Also a show filled with excellent supporting players like Li Jun Li and Kurt Fuller (not wanting to spoil anything but the scenes in which he "deals" with writer's block were some of the funniest I have seen on any show or movie this year).
    And they ended the third season on a appropriately bonkers note to really ramp up the anticipation for the next installment.

Should add that this trailer doesn't properly convey how just how goofy they occasionally get.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alright, I've not heard a single negative review of Evil outside of a very small number of professional critics, so I guess that's going on my list to catch up on before the next season comes out.

Ismitje and Belgian guy repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. I think the title turned me off originally and it's so easy to ignore shows now, even with buzz, given other options. But by the same toke, one can catch back up now too.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Still not 100% sure how I feel about She-Hulk as a whole, but Tatiana Maslany is as funny and charming as ever.
    The backlash against that Megan Thee Stallion post-credits scene is also very weird. It's a light-hearted show anyway and it was a post-credits scene!

chad and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The backlash is a combination of the big muscle little penis crew of "masculinity bros," and both the scrawny and morbidly obese neckbeards all hating the fact that there's a douchebag male character and a competent, charming female lead. The funniest thing in the episode was them actually calling that out with the "definitely not YouTube" comments from all the butthurt guys - apparently taken from a real YT video before the show debuted.

Mike03 and Belgian guy repped this.
  15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wandered down a rabbit hole today and came across something I had never heard of. In the 1972-73 TV season, a show debuted on CBS and ended its initial season as the #5 overall show in the ratings for the season. It was subsequently cancelled and never got a second season anywhere.

The stars of the show were an interfaith couple (Catholic husband and Jewish wife) and apparently there were bomb threats along with concerted efforts by several conservative Jewish sects to get sponsors to boycott, etc. Those stars married in real life after the show and both David Birney and Meredith Baxter had successful careers that spanned decades.

The show was called Bridget Loves Bernie and it's available to stream for free on both Fubo and Crackle. I think I'm going to have to sit down and watch a bit of it since I've honestly never heard of it and can't think of another show that was a top 5 hit and cancelled immediately.

Ismitje repped this.
  16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    House of the Dragon hasn't yet convinced me, to put it lightly.

It's so devoid of charm and fun compared to GoT.

And the battle scene in the latest episode made zero sense from a tactical point of view. I'm not saying this was always great in the original show, but this one was especially stupid.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So the show was yanked off the schedule because people objected to a sitcom about an interfaith couple?

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pretty much, with the majority of the heat being from sponsors that were being pressured by the conservative Jewish groups. It was legitimately #5 overall on TV during its debut season and still couldn't survive the onslaught.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not saying Madisynn and Wong are my favorite Marvel duo since Groot and Rocket, but I'm also not not saying it.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The actress who plays Madisynn is named Patty Guggenheim and she belongs in a museum.

chaski and Belgian guy repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Wongers & Madisynn scene was created on-set because Benedict Wong and Patty Guggenheim had such great comedic chemistry! :)

I want a series of Wongers & Madisynn comedy shorts!

https://tvline.com/2022/09/11/she-hulk-madisynn-wong-bonus-scene-added-to-script/

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Season five of Cobra Kai was very well reviewed. Kind of baffled, I watched it, didn't think it was terrible but it has moved absurdly far away from the original show, which was essentially about Johnny Lawrence's redemption arc.

23. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm almost done with season 5 myself, and it's still fairly good but they stretched way too thin and honestly the first 4 episodes could be skipped and you would get a much better season.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Also have the feeling that the story has become too centered on the old characters. There used to be more of a balance between the kids and Daniel, Johnny & co.

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They definitely did a better job before on focusing on both aspects during each episode, whereas now it feels like the focus is one or the other getting 75-80% of the focus in each episode and more of them were focused on the adults rather than the kids this season.