Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you like Owen Wilson? If you do, then he's pretty good. If you don't, then you probably won't enjoy his role. He plays a very Owen Wilson-y role, which I think goes well with Hiddleston.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I love him back in his Zoolander/Starsky&Hutch/The Wedding Crasher days. Peak Owen!

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The White Lotus on HBO seems like it might end up being a lot of fun. It's a satire/dark comedy set on a tropical resort and told from the perspective of a handful of VIP guests and the staff who have to cater to their wishes.
    So far it feels like "What if Ryan Murphy tried to write a Love Boat/Fantasy Island hybrid?". In the best possible way!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Loving the White Lotus so far.
    Especially all three of the kids are written brilliantly.
    But also Steve Zahn is just perfect for his role.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Still really enjoying "The White Lotus". Best thing I've seen this Summer by some distance (not that it has a great deal of competition).

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I did consider how it shares many thematic traits with Parasite.
    And yeah, I would be surprised if the remake is better than White Lotus has been.

Apart from being a funny and smart class satire, there is also something about it that makes it an apt watch for the Summer of Delta.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the first two episodes of a Vice documentary called "The Dark Side of the 90s." First one was on the rise of the trashy talk show (Jerry Springer and company). The second was on The Viper Room.

One of the worst documentaries series I have watched. Just total shit.

Mark McGrath did the narration, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Another good episode of The White Lotus.
    So many great performances. Just the way Molly Shannon ordered that latte was so perfect.
    I have to say that in terms of consistent quality, this is one of the best HBO shows I have seen in a while.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Whilst I love The White Lotus, especially the countless great performances - such a perfectly cast show - there is one weakness in the writing that is bothering me a bit.
    How are we supposed to believe that Rachel only just now finds out that her husband and her mother-in-law are annoying snobs? This isn't meant to have been an arranged marriage, so conceivably they dated for a while before getting engaged. And then it's clear from the actual episodes that the mother-in-law was very involved in organizing the wedding itself. So I don't buy Rachel having an epiphany about their nature during dinner with her husband and mother-in-law whilst she is on her honeymoon.
    Surely she should have come to this realization long before she walked down the aisle?

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Some people were disappointed with the final episode of The White Lotus? I thought it was a good conclusion to an excellent season of TV myself.

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wait, that isn't a ********ing Onion article???

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started watching 24 a few seasons ("days") in back when episodes premiered on Fox.

I'm making my way through Day 1 right now via Hulu. So yeah, it's kind of weird that I know some stuff, but it's also been interesting to go back and see it from the beginning. I don't think I saw season 3, but reading about season 4 definitely brings back memories.

It's hard to believe the show was originally written to have a conclusion after a few episodes in case it was canceled. The first season (possibly more?) was over the course of a traditional TV season with all the pauses for baseball playoffs and various holiday specials. The show was definitely made for the January-May timeframe. For all I know, it may have been one of the first (maybe Survivor?) to have a season debut in the winter.

There was an episode around 9am the first day when Jack had a lady captive in a construction site and he mentioned how he was capable of doing crazy stuff. A short time before that, he said something about how he doesn't play by the rules, yet always sticks by his word...and I'm there like....yup yup. Little did anyone know then how true that would turn out to be.

Likewise, I can see why it essentially ended. The writers can only rehash the same plots (terrorists wanting to do bad, moles inside CTU, etc) before it gets stale. Eventually, even though it is TV, people start to ask questions about "why does the same branch of government ALWAYS have a mole?"

I hear there's been on and off talk about doing some sort of "young Jack Bauer" thing like a prequel, but it definitely sounds like the character is permanently in the Russian prison (ie: we've seen the last of him.)

Another weird/cool thing is to go back and re-watch old seasons of TV shows for the technology. Considering when the first season was shot, it was during the age of flip phones, cars built in the late 80s and obviously even before Windows XP.

Keifer was only 35 then. He's now 54.
    Elisha Cuthbert was 19 then. She's now...38.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Batman: TAS rewatch reached the Rashomon episode, "P.O.V.".
    Another one that reminded me of how delightful a show this was.

15. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    43 years ago, yesterday (November 22, 1978)

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So after Kevin Feig had already announced that Charlie Cox is set to return as Daredevil for Disney, now the Hawkeye series sees the return of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin.
    I wonder if this means that most of the Netflix Marvel cast members will get a chance to reprise their role for the Mouse company? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones or Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle. Though in the case of the Punisher, it appears that Bernthal is only keen if it can be done to a degree of grittiness that isn't really Disney's forté for these properties.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think this episode of Hawkeye already revealed a problem with allowing the Netflix Marvel cast members to return. I loved Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin in Daredevil. The problem with having him resume the role in a Disney show is that the tone is very, very different and it just doesn't feel like the same character any more.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is The Book if Boba Fett supposed to bad? Like is that the intent?

luftmensch, TheJoeGreene and Belgian guy repped this.
  19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think it's okay, but I kind of get your broader meaning. Once we have like six Mando spin-offs, I suspect the gruel will be getting pretty thin indeed.

One thing that I found stupid about this latest episode: why would he look for his armor in the Sarlacc pit? We saw his escape earlier this season, including Jawas stealing his armor, during which he was still conscious. So why would he assume it's to be found inside the Sarlacc?

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Amazon Prime series "Reacher" is great fun.

That is all.

TheJoeGreene and Belgian guy repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yellowjackets is a lot of fun.
    Still have two episodes to go, so please no spoilers.

I have noticed it has been renewed. Both pleased about that but also wondering how they will successfully extend this story for multiple seasons.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Still find it ********ing hilarious that this all happened because one day, Jon Favreau picked up his phone and called his pal Tim Olyphant to ask him if he'd be interested in playing Raylan Givens in his SW show.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Also, Yellowjackets was a lot of fun, done with the entire season now.

It also became more clear what the focus of season two will be.

Show Spoiler
    Lottie as the new Big Bad!

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [​IMG]

There is something a bit weird about the grandson of a popular cowboy actor whose walk is very much a part of his iconography is providing the walk/body language for a contemporary & popular space cowboy.

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bel-Air is better than it has any right to be. I came in highly skeptical, and it won me over by the end of the first episode. From what I can tell, all the negative "reviews" are just review bombs complaining about it existing. For example, IMDB has a rating of 5.5/10 for the show, but the three episodes released so far have ratings of 7.6, 8.0, and 8.3.