Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What Netflix originals are you referring to exactly?

I've finished "The Haunting of Hill House". I thought it was good, though the first half of the season is markedly better than the second half and I think the final episode will be too sappy for many. Episode five still towers above all of the rest for my money.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sappiness made my wife happy. She likes horror but needs it to have a positive resolution so she (and by extension, me too) can sleep at night.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I thought it was fine too, but I guessed it would be slightly too high on the saccharine for some.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Supernatural is ending after fifteen seasons (they are currently on season fourteen).
    I'm not sure many people on here still watch it but it's pretty crazy to think it'll end. It's gone on for so long that you'd almost think they'd still be shooting the show in the post-Apocalypse.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'll never understood how it ran for so long. Do they just happen to have rabid fans who will riot if its ever cancelled?

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think in the same way that many long-running crime procedurals are basically comfort food for some people, Supernatural is the same for its fans.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s crazy, my wife and I watched it for 9 seasons, we stopped in the beginning of the 10th season, we felt like it lost a lot of its luster. Still another season to go.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In 2012, the Food Network show "Restaurant Impossible" came to my town to help a syruggling establishement. To quote the show's host, Robert Irvine, "this is one of the most disgusting kitchens I've ever been in. The restaurant reopened to some success. It mysteriously closed. Then it was sold. To a guy who had owned two previous restaurants that burned down.

Last night was number three.

https://www.thetimes-tribune.com/news/updated-dunmore-restaurant-gutted-by-fire-1.2462663

A fire gutted the Serafina Restaurant, 984 E. Drinker St., whose owner, Al Senofonte, tried hard to revive the building’s fortunes after its predecessor restaurant, Anna Maria’s, closed in October 2013.​

Which gives me a GREAT idea for a series I am going to proposed to The Food Network: Arson Squad, about a team of restaurant "employees" hired to help out when bills are going unpaid and remaining open is getting just a little unfeasible...

NER_MCFC, Ismitje, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  9. ilovefootball20

ilovefootball20 New Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Luzern
    Seems the industry is definitely far more scared of accidentally offended their audience than prior. That has probably had some impact.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've gotten a kick out of the short run of "What We Do in the Shadows" on FX.

NER_MCFC repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest episode had a "Vampiric Council" that included Tilda Swinton (playing a vampire named Tilda), Evan Rachel Wood (as Evan), Wesley Snipes, Danny Trejo, Paul Reubens, and others. Pretty funny.

spejic repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    are you serious?

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife and I are watching Star Trek, Deep Space Nine. Near the end of the seties. The second episode tonight, "Tacking into the Wind," first aired on May 12, 1999, 20 years ago tonight.. Of course, we have tickets to this tomorrow night....

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/what-we-left-behind

Edit: Ronald Moore is a great TV writer.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna watch that documentary so badly.

Have a great time and please be so generous to recount the experience with the rest of us.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    spejic and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In terms of HBO properties, how many of you feel like I do and are more excited about the upcoming Deadwood movie than the series finale of Game of Thrones?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I binged season 1 and parts of season 2 some months ago. I need to finish. The film does indeed make me curious.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meh.

My daughter, who is a total fan girl.and early crowd funder of the project, loved it. My son and wife liked it. I was mostly bored: waaaay too much Ira Steven Behr.

Most of the material can be seen on any of the dozens and dozens of cast interviews about the making of DS9.

My favorite anecdote from the show has been the revelation that Marc Alaimo thought that he was the star of the show, and that he carried himself accordingly. And that this pissed off the regulars. And that Alaimo never felt.truly appreciated.

This came out in the movie when Visitor was talking about her character vis a vis Dukat, and she referred to Dukat as "Marc". This moment was hilarious.

But again, too much Behr and not nearly enough of the huge panoply of supporting characters that made the show so good. Esp Nichole de Boer, who has said less about her time on DS9 than other cast members.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm closer to your daughter, but Behr could've been more in the background. If the DVD has three hours of extras, I'll look into it, because I suspect the groups cast members talking could be good.

My favorite cast anecdote was the cast members who were heavily made up (the Klingons, the Feringi, and Odo) used to find it annoying when Colm Meaney would come in after they've all been there for two hours, and start complaining after ten minutes. They were especially amused when his character had to go undercover disguised as a Klingon. "Bloody hell! Me eyes! I can't close me eyes!"

Oh, that and, in response to a discussion about the long days, Wallace Shawn speculating that he might be the only actor in history to fall asleep on camera.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My absolute favorite Star Trek series, last year I rewatched all of ST, from TOS all the way through Enterprise, in order. DS9 gave me the most joy.

I was a backer of What We Left Behind, got to see it last week. I really enjoyed it, but didn't get the full experience because they had a bunch of streaming issues. I wanted to see it in the theater, but there was nothing locally, closest were your theater or one in Ithaca and I didn't want to drive an hour.

spejic and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started watching Billions, 4 episodes in and I'm loving it.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's our favorite, too. We're onto Voyager now. The Kazon are not as interesting as the Dominion forces.

Re: what we left behind, at our theater the biggest laugh of the night was probably during the credits where they were listing the backers: the worst scene from the worst episode was the perfect punchline to the set up.

Though upon further review: Aron Eisenberg's reaction to events in the hypothetical 8th season opener might've scored higher.

spejic, LouisianaViking07/09 and Dante repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna get into it but damn if it looks dull. :mad:

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been anything but dull so far.

I have a Roku at home and on the Roku Channel they have a bunch of 1st seasons for Showtime/Starz shows, it's got all 12 episodes of Billions.