some racist chanting in wolverhampton stands

Discussion in 'Korea' started by David Leench, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    well, I never meant it in a negative way. For some reason I've always thought Holyjoe was an overseas based Korean or something, from reading his posts :)

2. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Me neither. I think it's great that others are interested in Korean culture & soccer.

3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Haha aye? Well I am married to a Korean so maybe the influence is rubbing off ;)

4. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    If you didn't misinterpret what I stated earlier in a hostile and defensive manner -as I pointed out in Hyok's comments- than we would be in this argument.

Oh, and you're right, I should not have used the word "oxymoron," I should have called you a moron instead.

5. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    A Russian slut.

6. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    I hope you never veer into grammar flame wars.

That just means even "moron" is a fancy big word way over your head, moron.

7. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    God, I found a new hobby, winding up Wargamer. It fun, and it's easy. In the end, he just gets mighty pissed off.

8. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    That isn't exactly racist dood. Its more of an insult to her as a female. :rolleyes:

How did she know that they called her that anyways? I'm assuming she knows the swear words in Korean right?

9. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    She was there with a collegue who was a native Korean. My girlfriend's Spanish. She got stopped sometimes by strangers if she was Russian. For a while, she was wondering why people kept asking her that. Later she found out that a small number of Russian women live in Seoul as prostitutes. Who knew?

10. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Hey Holy,

Just this evening I met up with a friend of mine to watch the PSV and Arsenal match in North London. He's actually from Kirkcaldy (famously known for its favourite son: Adam Smith). I was wondering what part of Scatland you're from, like, you know?

11. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    That "are you Russian?" thing happens to a number of foreign women in Korea... it's not racist, just pure ignorance based on a limited view of the outside world (and, erm... the guy who said it having all his braincells swinging between his legs)
    As an aside, you or your girlfriend (or anyone else interested in the experiences of US/Canadian/British/New Zealand/Aussie expats in Korea) might find the ESL Cafe messageboard quite interesting. Take a fair amount of what's said on there with a pinch of salt though.

From Aberdeen, right up in the north-east (more specifically Westhill, right on the outskirts of the glorious Granite city ;) ). My family moved down on the west coast near Glasgow in 1992 though so that's where I attended secondary school and University. It made for quite a long trek to Aberdeen games though, but that's what minibuses full of beer are for :D

12. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    Wargamer,

You seem to be an intelligent person. But you don't seem to know how to use the gift from your parents for the good of Korean and ultimately for the entire human beings? Did you read the poem by Back Bum?
    I had a friend from high school who knew everything about the world history by the age of 15, knew laws of almost every country, and scored 1600 on SAT without even stepping a foot out of Korea. This guy, went to Seoul National University Law, went to military, went to Harvard Law, Yale Ph.D. in some political science of something. Last time I heard about him, he was in mental institute. Knowledge and intelligence alone will take us nowhere.

13. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Interesting. I plan to visit the Highlands in the near future. I'm sure you're missing the good old Hagus. My friends a big Hibs supportor, as he's been trying to take me to a Scottish pub to watch a game. Sorry to hear about whats going on with the Scottish NT -with Bert Voghts gone and all. Hopefully, the younger generation coming up can make a change.

14. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    The impression that I get is that everyone in Scotland wanted Vogts out anyway. It's a poor Scotland team at the moment (hell, if Miller and Cameron can get in, there has to be something wrong!) but these things tend to come in cycles so it's probably just a matter of time.

Do the Scots really eat haggis? I thought it was a concoction devised to scare the English off!! ;)

If you're planning on visiting the highlands, you might want to leave it until the summer. The only thing keeping me going during Wolves poor season is knowing that Henri Camara will be playing in freezing conditions at Aberdeen on 16th January :D

15. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Haggis is horrible... it's worse than no food! The one thing I really do miss from Scotland is Irn-Bru - just finished off the last of the stuff that my brother-in-law brought back from his trip to London, so god knows how I'll cope until I can get my hands on more of the stuff.

As for Vogts... well he's got fupp all to work with really, and whoever gets the job probably won't do too much better :(
    Vogts could have been Korea boss back in June too and on far much more money than the SFA were paying him - bet he wishes he'd taken it now ;)

16. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    If you're looking for a decent pub to watch some Scottish football, then try going to the Rob Roy in London - it's home to the Rob Roy Reds, an Aberdeen supporters club and though I've never been there to watch a game I'm told it's a great wee place :)

17. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    To each his own. When I was working in Glasgow this past summer on assignment I ate haggis at least 3 times a week (mostly at breakfast and as a dinner appetizer). I think for Korean's it's not too weird a concept as we eat SoonDae (순대, Korean blood sausage) but of course it tastes much different and haggis is much fattier. Also, as with everything there is good haggis and not so good haggis.

As for Irn-Bru ... stuff tastes like bubble gum. Tried it (they even have diet now) and it was OK but couldn't drink it all the time like the Scots seem to.

18. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    "blood sausage"... aka black pudding in Scotland. Strangely enough I don't really like soondae but I really miss black pudding suppers.
    That and scotch pies at the football. And deep-fried Mars bars... :) (no wonder Scottish cuisine has a reputation for being unhealthy)