Some questions for the Belgian users

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by aloisius, Aug 15, 2003.

1. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    First of all, where are you? Brugge just played a fantastic match v. Dortmund, Anderlecht got a great result against Wisla and there isn’t a single thread on that.
    To my questions…
    Why is Butina on the bench? He is a much better keeper than Verlinden
    Did Mornar start for Anderlecht?
    Are there any other Croatian or Bosnian players in Belgium?
    Who do you remember from the past and how did they do?

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I live about 20 miles outside of Brugge, but am currently working there.

Verlinden is in goal because he has never let Sollied down in hardly any game. Sollied said in the beginning of the season "Dany (Verlinden) has never given me a reason to not pick him as my nr. one goalkeeper".

I agree that Butina is a good GK, but Verlinden is a monument at the club (about the same status that Seaman had at Arsenal) and this will probably be his last season, so Butina will be the starting GK no later then next year I would guess.

Yes he did it would seem, or at least he played (not sure if he started the game). But he is not a first choice with coach Hugo Broos. His current team is pretty much

--------Zitka--------

Deschacht---Kompany---De Boeck-----Lovre

Seol------Basseggio-----Willhemson

--------Zetterberg----------

------Jestrovic------Aruna---------

Yes, there were quite a few in the past and right now.

Croatian players, well lets see, Brugge had Mario Stanic and Robert Spehar.

Josip Weber was played for the Belgian NT but was originally Croation. He played for Cercle Brugge and Anderlecht (who just happen to be Club Brugges oldest rivals...).

Jestrovic is Serbian and currently plays for Anderlecht. Then there's Martic at Moeskroen, who I think is also Serbian. Dragutinovic as well, who plays for Standard Liége. There's a Bosnian at Anderlecht, Besnik Hasi, but he doesn't play much either. There are more, but these are the first that pop into my head right now...

How did they do?
    Well both Stanic and Spehar were league top scorer in Belgium for Club Brugge. Josip Weber was several times for Cercle Brugge. Jestrovic made 20 goals I believe last season, but he was out with an injury for a few months.
    Dragutinovic is the captain at Standard. Besnik Hasi used to be great when he played at RC Genk, but he has faded away a little since joining Anderlecht.

Sorry that it took so long to get your answers, but I don't check my pm's every day...

3. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    No problem, thanks for this.
    I presume that your first sentence was a joke. I was asking where were you on Bigsoccer, meaning why are there no threads about the great performance of Belgian teams in CL qualifying.
    Could you post a regular update here on these players? Maybe once in a couple of weeks?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The reason I don't post very often about Belgian teams on here is because, well, most people aren't all that interested in the Belgian league or teams, disregarding the fact that they do well or not in Europe...

5. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    True, you could get some intresst on the dutch uhh Netherlands board.
    It would be beter when the Belgium moved in at the Netherlands forum, especialy now with the talks over a BeNeCup.

6. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    Yes, maybe...maybe...

7. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    How come nobody is talking about the Euro Qualifier on Wednesday?

What do you think Belgium's chances are against Croatia?