Some new songs for the pitch!

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by JCrowley, Feb 23, 2011.

1. JCrowley

JCrowley New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Hi guys. I am new to this forum.

I wanted to start a new post but I guess I am not allowed to.

I am a huge RSL fan and with the talent that we have on this team I think we all expect a lot from them this season. I also think for them to be extra special on the pitch this year I think we as fans need to be even more passionate and into the games from the opening whistle. With this in mind my brother created an anthem for RSL. A fight song that the entire crowd can get behind at the opening whistle, the 46th minute, after every goal and at the end of every victory. Our hope is that RSL will see how this could enhance the atmosphere at Rio Tinto and make the experience that much better for the players and all fans. The link to the song is below. Download it, listen to it, share it. If any of you have sweet connections with RSL and you like the vision we have with this song please share it with RSL. Let us know what you think. Oh, and if someone can tell me how I can start a new post I will start one dedicated to this. Or someone could do that for me. Thanks.
    http://www.wearerealsaltlake.com/

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JCrowley

JCrowley New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Thanks. Mr. Prime.

4. Scadzz

Scadzz Member

Apr 2, 2006
    f=956
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've posted earlier, I think this is great and deserves to pick up steam. Maybe it should even be on the main RSL page.

It is simple, catchy, and made by RSL fans. It isn't some fabricated crap mandated by the league like all those "soccer songs" a few years back.

5. JCrowley

JCrowley New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Thanks Scadzz. Sorry I am new to this forum and did not see your previous post on this.

We thought that we needed a song that is uniquely RSL, easy to sing along to, and a fight song (not just Ole, Ole, Ole, or the current post goal "Whoo Hoo" song).

We also think for people to really sing along at the game the words should be on the jumbotron in Karaoke style. I think this song could be a cool tradition that every supporter's group and every fan in the stands could get behind. My 2 year old already is singing along to it and stomping his feet to R!-S!-L!

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a couple guys on facebook have been posting this around. It could very easily pick-up steam. The SG's (supporter groups) would be the people to specifically work with. I dont know if you will ever get everyone there to sing along, but the more people that know the more likely you can get something goin on.

The "Ole" song, even if you dont really like it, is what I would consider the "official supporters song" of this team. Its simple, its catchy, and it was used like no other in Seattle.

Nothing wrong with more songs, I just dont know how you are going to overtake that song, if that is in fact your goal

7. baddawgskills

baddawgskills New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We didn't create it with the intention of killing "ole, ole" at all. It is currently the only song that the whole stadium will sing together besides "The Sweet Escape (Wooo Wooo)." Our thought is that while both of those songs are fun and people sing them, they are not specific to RSL. Almost every team in the world sings ole. So in addition to these songs already established, we wanted to create a simple, catchy, powerful, RSL specific anthem that people could easily pick up and sing along to.

We think that if the chorus ("We Are Real Salt Lake! R! S! L!) was played before the kickoff of each half and every time we score, it could catch on and keep the crowd more vocal throughout the game.

8. JCrowley

JCrowley New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sorry, I must have been misunderstood. I really like the Ole, Ole, Ole and the R-S-L chants especially when the entire crowd gets into it. I would not like to due away with these or any other RSL chants. I would just like to have a song that everyone can get behind that is uniquely RSL.

I think RSL can do better than the current post goal "Woo Hoo song". We could even keep the "Woo Hoo song" and follow it with this anthem. That is just my opinion and I know I am a little biased.:)

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love for this to get play time... I dont know how likely it is to happen, but ya never know. Didnt they let a guy rap a theme last year before a game? I guess anything is possible.

10. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I know throwing this out here is probably a futile gesture that will accomplish nothing. But I will do so anyway. Going along with the guys who wrote an anthem for RSL, here's another song that I found by chance the other day when I was looking for songs about Utah. I thought it could make a really cool, "You'll Never Walk Alone" kind of a song that the supporters could sing at some point. I'm sure it'll be roundly despised, though. Nevertheless, here it is.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScvqKAOCvcM"]YouTube - The Red Hills Of Utah by Marty Robbins[/ame]

11. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
  13. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I hate to be the Simon Cowell here (well I don't really hate it, he's one of my heros) but dude, this song sucks. If you really think I'm going to sing this shitty song, you have another think coming. I mean props for writing something and trying to get the prawn sandwich brigade at the RioT to sing along, but please, next time, write something that's you know, actually cool. Thanks.

14. baddawgskills

baddawgskills New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nice. Next time I write someTHINK, I'll run it past you so you can tell me if it is cool or not.

15. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Look it up twatwaffle.

16. baddawgskills

baddawgskills New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think this is a really interesting idea. Getting everybody to learn it and start singing it in unison would be the main challenge. I don't know exactly how you would go about making it happen.

17. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    You don't make it happen, it's spontaneous. And yes, I'd rather walk alone.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this thread started because the OP wanted to start something new. But Ole Ole Ole Real Salt Lake is a staple of the supporters. How long have we been singing that after every goal? Since 2005? And last Tuesday it was magical. Why fight it?

19. baddawgskills

baddawgskills New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    As we've said, our intention is not to replace any chanting or singing that is already going on. In addition to these already established traditions, we want to help build something that is specific to our club. Over the course of 90 minutes, there is room for more than one song.

20. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well turn down the amps and let the song do the speaking and not the guitars since we don't bring them in to the stadium.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we all are going to chant "The red butes of Utah are calling me"?

Yeah, lots of scum fans know the whole song, but most just sing "you'll never walk alone" and hum the rest.
    This would be the case, and even worse so, here. I like the idea of a song, but calling my team the "butes" isnt exactly a sign of love... just sayin.

Keep the ideas coming.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this song has special meaning to me:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qxJPzjObI"]YouTube - Rod Stewart - You're in my heart[/ame]
    There is discussion about the meaning behind it (Rod doesnt help with it much) but I like to believe its about soccer.
    obviously would change "celtic united" to something RSL related...
    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rod+stewart/youre+in+my+heart_10242838.html

23. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRGjMSUoU8"]YouTube - muse-Uprising lyrics[/ame]

The chorus to this song could be pretty cool. Probably best to change the words to something RSL related. The words to the actual song go:

They will not force us
    They will stop degrading us
    They will not control us
    We will be victorious
    So come on!

I'd say change the first three lines...

You cannot defeat us
    You will never beat us
    RSL is glorious
    We will be victorious
    So come on!

Or something like that. I'm open to suggestions, or what I really mean is supporters can take it or leave it. Just an idea.

24. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    1 person likes this.
  25. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    You totally missed the point.

First of all, the song never once uses the word butes (which is in fact spelled with 2 Ts, buttes, which makes sophomoric folks like myself find it such a humorous word), the song is called the Red Hills of Utah.

But secondly, we're not calling the team the buttes or the hills or anything like that. We would be singing a song about how great Utah is. It's like when the Tennessee Vols fans sing "Rockytop". They're not calling their team the Rockytops. They're singing a song about how great Tennessee is at a sporting event where a team is representing Tennessee on the playing field. It's like the Nats fans singing "America the Beautiful" while watching the Nats play (although I don't know if they do that or not. If they don't though, they should).

And lastly, just because lots of fans don't know the words to "You'll Never Walk Alone" doesn't make it any less cool when they all sing it together. And it definitely doesn't mean we should try to do a song that has more than four or five words in it. Everything cool always starts with a few innovators doing it first, before the rest of the folks catch on and do it too.