Some interesting thoughts about this WCQ....

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Excape Goat, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    -- If FIFA did not change the rule for World Cup winner's automatic spot in the Finals, Ronaldo might not have played a single WCQ in his career. He missed 1994 due to younger age.... 1998 due to being holder..... 2002 due to injuries!!!! By 2007, he might have retired from international soccer.

-- If France qualifies for Germany 2006, it was their first in 20 years. Failed in 1990 & 1994.... host in 1998 and holder in 2002.

2. footie guy

footie guy New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    London
    that IS interesting.

3. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    Cup-holder bye

Anyone else think that the Cup holder should still get a bye?
    I understand that it opens up a potential additional spot, but...the holder has earned it, right?

4. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    Re: Cup-holder bye

In the European Championships the holder never has qualified automatically.

I think everybody should play qualification, except the hosts off course.

5. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town

I'm trying to think of a major sports tournmant where the previous winner is automatically invited... I suppose it is true for golf tournaments and, in a way, it applies to boxing... can anyone name a major sporting event where the winner is invited back and everyone else has to qualify?

6. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Re: Re: Cup-holder bye

In the Rugby World Cup (starts Friday) the top eight from the previous tournament get automatic entry.

Crowdie

7. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Interesting. Please excuse my ignorance re: rugby world cup...

How many teams are there in all? How often is it held? How does the qualifying process for the reamining teams compare to WCQ?

8. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    There is only one stupid question... The one you don't ask.

The Rugby World Cup was first held in 1987 in New Zealand and is held every four years. This year there are twenty countries competing in Australia (Argentina, Australia, Canada, England, Fiji, France, Georgia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Namibia, New Zealand, Romania, Samoa, Scotland, South Africa, Tonga, United States, Uruguay & Wales)

All teams outside the top eight teams from the last World Cup must qualify through various qualification tournaments (similar to the confederation system in soccer but the tournaments may feature teams from up to four different continents).

My Picks:

Quarter Finalists: Australia, England, France, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa

Semi Finalists: Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, England

Finalists: England, New Zealand

Crowdie

9. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Thanks for the info.

Has there been a lot of turnover in who the best teams are each 4 year period? Or do the same 8-12 teams typically finish in the top 8? Have there been cases of top 8 finishers really bombing in the next tournament? [As in, teams of such poor qualify four years later that would probably not have qualified otherwise?]

I do like the idea of having the Top 4 or 8 automatically instead of only the winner. I think in soccer, though, that there may have been a fair number of Top 8 teams in one tournament that didn't even qualify the next time around.

Also, it sounds like in rugby they aren't using a confederation allocation system for the remaining places. A top-8 system could cause some real challenges within the current (soccer) WCQ process because of that.

10. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    it would be nice for each confederations equivelant cup winners to go threw automaticly i.e winners on euro04, copa america etc. I just think it would be cool to definatley have the champions of each continent in the world cup. Just a thought, whatcha think?

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. A lot can change in four years. Just ask France.

12. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor
    Re: Re: Cup-holder bye

Or in two? They played a fine Euro 2000, a tournament with much more exciting soccer than the 2002 world cup.

France hits a bad patch of form over a three game span (note very big three games), and everyone acts as if their lineup couldn't even compete in the A - League. Well, maybe their keepers would have trouble.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Re: Re: Re: Cup-holder bye

Ahh. Another BigSoccer legend is born. Love it.

Note folks: I am being silly.

14. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I thought that I read somewhere that Fifa is upset with IOC because the IOC allows the host nation to participate in the football tournaments even though they may not have a chance to qualify if they had to. Well, Fifa does the same thing with the World Cup. Host nations are automatically in.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, FIFA has yet to host a tournament in a country which has no chance to qualify. All the hosts so far have either been traditional powers, or at least have qualified or participated in previous tournaments (with the trivial exception of Uruguay in 1930). If I recall correctly, 1962, 1986, 1998 were the only three cups where the host hadn't qualified for/been at the previous cup, but the hosts had qualified for other previous cups.

G.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not quite sure it would be nice - who watches the Confederations Cup?