Some (Good ?) ideas for metro trades

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Salsa Supremo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Salsa Supremo

Salsa Supremo New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The metros have problems. The defense was porous, the midfield generated most of the scoring chances but forwards were too often starved of service, and with Gaven and Guevara out of the game the attack stagnates. I suggest the following trades/acquisitions.

Magee/Taylor to SJ for Mullan

Mullan Scouting Report
    Fast winger who can break down defense with speed and can pin back left backs, serviceable crosser, one on one ability, plays both sides of the ball. Strong in the tackle. Terrific stamina. Often commits fully and this can get him into trouble with refs. Can be caught out in attack but can also dominate flank.

This would put Gaven on the bench or cause him a lot of competition for starting role. Since gaven lacks Mullan’s two way ability and is more likely to get sucked into the middle mullan might get the nod.

Other less expensive possibilities- Henderson (COL), Robinson (SJ), Ritchie (NE)

Wolynec to KC for Gutierrez

Gutierrez Scouting Report
    Tenacious left sided player who can cross balls in during attack or serve dead balls off set pieces. Rarely caught out and times runs forward expertly. Doesn’t not have tremendous speed makes up for it with sound positioning.

Puts Leitch on natural right side and strengthens backline.

Other less expensive possibilities- Kamler (NE), Kotcheau (COL)

Also we should get Rid of SGR and pick up a player from the Honduras national team who was on trial with the fire for a short while. Cabellero who is 29 and has played at Udinese in Serie A and right now plays for Nacional in Uruguay. He would make an excellent stand in for Eddie Pope, or a possible partner.

We can get some new forwards with money from Vaca and try to get one through the draft as well.

Formation: 4-4-2
    Starter (2nd string, 3rd string, etc…)
    -----------------------------Walker (Wells)-------------------------------
    Leitch (Bonseu)-------Cabellero(Parke)--Pope(Arena)-----Guiterrez(Leitch)
    -----------------------------Gilberto (Clark, Lisi)-------------------------
    Mullan(Gaven)-----------------------------------------Brenes(Gaven)----
    -------------------------------Guevara (Gaven)-------------------------
    -------------------------Glenn------------------Taylor------------------

2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    makes sense since 2 of those players played for Babbo in the past.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't want the spoiled brat Mullan on the team. We have enough whiners here, I don't want an ************** here as well. That guy is a punk.

I think Bradley might switch to a 3-5-2, at least I hope so. We are much more effective in that system.

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Right so if Gaven is one of the only 2 attacking players that can play why would you send him to the bench. Gaven will be a starter and on most other teams would be the main playmaker.

Also you severely overate mullan.

5. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    i hope they are not serious about aquiring Zach''Fat''Thornton. He might weight more than Walker on the Lbs. scale but not on the goalkeeping scale.

6. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno - seen worse. I don't think he is in contract with MLS anymore, and considering how poorly he did overseas, he may be hungry for a chance to prove himself.

Or maybe he's just hungry for an entire Sabrett Hot Dog cart. who knows?

(all joking aside, perusing the Chicago boards, he's slimmed down and is serious about getting a #1 job back)

7. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my crazy freaked up trade that will never happen but...

guevara and walker for cannon and mastro... they need offense we need defense... solves both problems... tho i would never want to see the best playmaker in the league go...

8. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    your crazy man..........i like u .............but your crazy man, your crazy

9. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I could see that. Maybe even without swaping GK's

10. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cool: Yo, guys get real. We do not move out Gaven and Geuvara, our two best offensive players or our GK in Walker. We fill in around these spots with upgrades. Say goodbye to SGR to that new Chivas team in an MLS swap of #1 draft choice deal maybe. Maybe trade Magee for Danny Szetala as he is much more physical. Trade Vaca, who has never won a 50-50 ball to DC for Kovelenko the madman.

Maybe try and get a past proven MLS striker who left the MLS but wants back in.

We dump Bonseau, Ziadie, and guys like that such as Taylor or Glen and try to add players that might be tougher and/or faster or more experience, though Glen's speed is probably as fast as we get but you get the idea.

Probably the best move would be for Bob to get a proven assistant coach that has creative tactical ideas, his weak spot obviously.

11. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I have to disagree with this. Walker was only so-so this season. Thornton is a very good keeper and is looking to get fit. Walker was just simply inconsistant. I'd give Thornton the nod here.

12. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walker, Geuvara, Gaven, Magee, these are players who we can count on, any talk about trading them is short sighted and not wise.

I cannot emphasis enough, that we must identify and secure core of the team, we cannot affort to tear them apart. IMO, we have 6 core players, Walker, euvara, Gaven, Pope, Magee, Flores. I included Magee becuase he IS making impact on midfield especially if Geurara is on national duty.

Core players are the ones you can count on to win the game. You don't trade them. Period.

13. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    guevara and gaven have been worth the price of admission this season.

i'd trade woly to kc for a jersey or a used tickets stub. we need woly off this team to avoid him starting again. he's good as a sub, but at this rate, i'm scared bradley may be suffering from arena tunnel vision and assume woly is the heart of the metro.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nice idea, but highly unlikey. According to Peter Wilt, the Fire still plan on signing him in the offseason with one of their allocations. The only delay was that Cabellero was waiting for a European offer. He has since backed off that idea and has agreed (in principle) to sign with the Fire.

15. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    i dont know, in this case I'd rather take Matt Jordan off the Columbus bench. On the other hand Thornton should be mentally ready more than any1 because he wants to prove that he still got it so maybe he is not that bad of a choice, the only concern is that he havent played for a decent amount of time

16. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    where is Rodrigo Faria? maybe we should bring him back. Atleast he scored more than SGR(who i like, besides the fact of not scoring)

17. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

No, PLEASE no Faria. I've had enough with these freaking pre-madonnas. Just go out and play.

18. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Oh, man. Mullan and Brenes over Gaven? If you're just gonna leave Gaven on the bench, then just trade him to DC instead. We'll give you Eliseo Quintanilla, so you can start him over Guevara.