Some actual, you know, stuff from Iraq: lefties please ignore

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Bill Archer, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Is there any way to decline positive rep?

2. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to my Chucklometer logs, I was joking at a rate of about 77,31%

3. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

4. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    You must've really been bummed during the Clinton years.

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Beauchamp being investigated, while fact checking their articles is SO HARD and tiring, TNR is taking a week off.

And, no one at FOB Falcon remembers any half melted face lady.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  7. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Sure it was bad. But it was a minnow and right now we are dealing with a whale. The kind of whale that seriously undermines the US Constitution, checks and balances, and separation of power. That is, serious problems a little more far reaching than whatever Clinton did with that cigar and lied about afterwards.

8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An actual news item I heard driving into work this morning (IIRC):

I know that last sentence is spot on.

Yes, that's a tragedy, but what does it have to do with the attempted attack in Afghanistan? Am I to assume there were no american casualties in the Afghan attack?

And then they wonder why we "think" that the MSM is biased left and that they're rooting for defeat.

9. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Really? That bad? Can you give me concrete examples of each of these?

10. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I see your talking points but please explain to me in detail how Bush is undermining the US Constitution. Then explain in the same breath, how the Fairness doctrine, banning certain words and gun control does not.

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    You really think that you can have a socratic dialog with someone making claims about Bush undermining the constitution and such?

Sheesh, you've seen that stuff enough times, you can probably write his cliche' answer yourself.

12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread illustrates how abysmally uninformed legal debates in popular culture (including this thread) tend to be. To take just your second example, there's no constitutional issue because these "word bans" are all advisory. Read the article you linked to:

They don't offend the First Amendment any more than a parent telling his kid "watch your language' does. Whether they're a good or silly idea from a policy perspective is a separate issue, but they're certainly not constitutionally objectionable.

13. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Silly me. And I thought liberals were against dictating morality. So there’s no recourse. Sounds like a good use of taxpayer dollars.

Hey, let’s not stop with these three words. What about other four-letter words that are also degrading and offensive?

14. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not silly, just uninformed. Don't make claims about constitutional law when you don't know what you're talking about.

We probably agree about the wisdom of these advisory word bans. I think they're pretty useless and not exactly in the American spirit of free and open dialogue (an apolitical principle). But that doesn't make them unconstitutional.

However, I feel less strongly than you because all of these word-bans strike me as fairly trivial and harmless. Do we really think anyone is going to stop using obscenity because of a few demonstrations and legislative resolutions? If anything, they just increase the forbidden appeal of obscenity, much like music companies found that "Parental Advisory/Explicit Lyrics" labels increased the value of those CDs.

Nor, it should be said, is this moralism the exclusive province of the left. Conservatives have long backed their own PC language-control policies, both legally enforceable and thus possibly constitutionally suspect (flag burning bans, FCC fines for obscenity), and informal (pundits who decry the decay of morality in popular culture--often using obscene rap lyrics as an example, just like the "liberals" who passed the resolution you linked to).

15. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Yeah, I know.

(anger rising)Bush lied people died...
    (face reddening)Patriot Act...
    (fists shaking)Plame outed...
    (bouncing on seat)Attorney firing...
    (ears steaming)Subpoena ignoring...
    (screaming to heavens)D-O-M-E-S-T-I-C W-I-R-E-T-A-P-P-I-NNNN-GGGG!!!!!!

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot about:

(pointing finger) library records...

*after patriot act, before Plame*

17. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    And the most pernicious of them, monitoring book store sales so that Archer has to pay cash for his terrorist manuals.