Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Sep 10, 2010.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium

[​IMG]

As reported by Ryan Wood: The brand new Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium will be the site of the Breakers home playoff match later this month...

Pictures from the Harvard matches:

No. 10 Harvard 2 - No. 13 Stanford 1 - Sept. 4, 2010

Harvard Women's Soccer vs. Long Island (Sept. 3, 2010)

Video Highlights:

No. 10 Harvard 2 - No. 13 Stanford 1 - Sept. 4, 2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eW9u1lJOeA"]Women's Soccer: Harvard 2 - Long Island Univ. 2[/ame]

Man I wish this place held more people....It'll be good to have a sold out playoff match but I'd love to be able to play there long term!

I also wish I had known about this earlier as I'd have gone to these two matches.....

I'd love to see the Breakers and Harvard Soccer work much closer together...It was wierd watching the videos and not watching the game!!! I'm looking at the field, seats, grass berm, fences/nets etc...

This will be a challenge for WPS/Breakers/FSC for sure....

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BTW, The Harvard women play Rhode Island on Friday Sept 17th at 7pm....

I suggest a dress rehersal for the playoff match...Scout out our location etc...

Hey maybe if Harvard gets Breakers supporters the Breakers will get Harvard supporters??

I'll be there!

3. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those exist?

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea.....They just don't wear stupid SuperFan shirts!

:p

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Rowdies

Rowdies New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, look at the bright side. We get to watch a game with soccer lines only!

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of us only require standing room only sections any way. Love this arrangement for the short term! (Not financially viable for long term).

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem kind of a shame that Harvard didn't work with the Breakers to enhance the stadium so that it could be used by the latter on a regular basis, as the Freedom did with the Soccerplex. (I have to say I really hate Harvard Stadium, especially when I'm watching on TV.)

9. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I go there for every game and I hate the place. One of the worst decisions the team has made.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People show up, at least, but you do wonder how they'd do if they could find a better stadium that's still as accessible.

11. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been to almost all the home games, and can not say I hate it. There are no bad sightlines, you don't walk a mile and half to get from the gate to seats inside, and don't find the concrete any better or worse than bleahers, and actually prefer them to the WUSA home at Nickerson. I think the attendance results show it ISN"T one of the worse decisions they made, particularly when you consider the alternatives available (or not available).

The lines are absolutely annoying, but no more so than what happens at Gillette during the Pat's season. And they are worse on TV than in person IMHO.

I would be interested to know if there are provisions to enhance the "soccer stadium" in teh future. Can more stands be added? Can they add infrastructure (permanent bathrooms and concessions)?

This came together very quickly, I tailgated on the site the first few games this season.

12. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the stadium keeps anyone away. I have gotten used to the conglomeration of lines, and am quite happy to watch games there. Of course, an appropriately sized stadium with actual seats and a regulation-sized grass pitch in the immediate Boston area would be preferable. It does beat watching the Revolution get lost amongst the sea of empty seats at Gillette, though.

13. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I've grown to love Harvard Stadium. I don't find the football lines nearly as distracting in person as they are on TV (maybe I've been trained by Gillette to be accustomed to them). I love how the sound of the drums and chants echoes off the concrete. The location is excellent. And I think the stadium is kind of charming. Sure, I'd love real grass and no football lines, but given the options, I like where we are.