Sol To Mls

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BorrachoNJ, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    f*** off Sol

The very fans who would give a shjt who Sol Campbell is would use his example to dismiss MLS as sub-par, an elephants' graveyard.

2. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    f*** off Sol

... for assuming you can retire from Arsenal and jump right onto an MLS team.

Thankfully that hasn't worked out for a number of players. (F*** off Giles)

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    F*** off Sol

Generally, these acquisitions aren't worth the credibility blow. If Beardsley or Shearer or Effenburg play until they're 90 IN EUROPE, well they're just amazing and canny athletes.

If they find MLS fits them, and enjoy an Indian Summer - well it's cause the league sucks.

The Nowaks are rare - more typical are the Podbrozny's, Koseckis, Brancos, Grimandi's or Powells. Not always bad, but not worth taking a spot for a younger guy, at the end of the day.
    Even the Spencers' and El Pibes' over-hyped contributions don't make up for the fact that their very image helps a large body of fans think MLS is poor.

So...

4. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    F*** off Sol

'Cause you're also an Arsehole.

Now f*** along, son.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: MLS

But Valderrama had special rules. I saw Matt Mckeon get called for a foul. It seemed that he got within 3 feet of Carlos. Carlos was protected by the refs his last couple of years.

Preki on the other hand is the exception that proves the rule. Look how fast Cien and Etch have aged. I'm a big fan of Ron Frances - another 40+ hockey player - but let's be honest, he's a rarity, and nowhere near as good as he was just a few years ago.

Some players are fine at 33, most are already headed downhill, and some are already over-the-hill. Only time will tell.

Statistically speaking, Sol is dreaming, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

6. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    lots of over the hill euros seem to be going to Qatar these days... hierro and guardiola just went. i think they can make more money there. f*&k living in Qatar, though, no thanks.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Where would he fit in the most?

West Virginia.

8. jack the ripper

jack the ripper New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    I know a certain Ohio club that would love to have his services...

9. Sir Martin Keown

Sir Martin Keown New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First of all, Grimandi was not a great player. Secondly didn't he leave because of the dumbass fans anti-French feelings towards him?

Sol would walk into any MLS team at 33, the guy is a professional so he's not going to be finished at 33. Gazza could probably still do a job in the MLS !.....well maybe not.

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed Grimandi was not a good player. If you have any proof of anti-French feeling among Arsenal fans I'd love to see it.

The real reason he left is because he wasn't being picked. He realised he wasn't good enough to make the team any more and decided to move on. Well, that's according to the man himself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1923063.stm

11. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we don't worry about what Sol's gonna do in four years? I think we should cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now we should thank him for his loyalty, and hope he stays healthy and red-free for the remainder of the year. Or am I wrong?

12. Sir Martin Keown

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we have our wires crossed, I was referring to the reason behind him leaving the MLS. I think it was because of anti-French feelings that were directed at him from the fans because of Frances stance on the 'war on terrorism'.

13. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only fans Grimandi would have seen are the three that come to watch the team train. He barely saw any game action, and he could probably walk through downtown Denver in complete anonymity. Nobody would have recognized him.

Grimandi's whole "anti-French feelings" excuse seems a bit fishy to say the least. Bet he couldn't cite a single incident...

14. Bonaventure

Bonaventure New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zero. We don't give red cards for hard fouls in MLS.

[​IMG]

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was his excuse, but since I'd wager not a single Coloradoan would recognize him walking down the street, that seems dubious.

Even if he spoke to somebody with his accent, the average american wouldn't know whether he was italian or french or hispanic or whatever. And I'd also venture that, despite media reports, the average american wouldn't give a damn even if they knew he was french.

I suppose it's hard to guess whether a guy will be a Nowak or whether he'll be a Lothar when he comes over here. Nowak's a full fledged hero amongst Fire fans so it's hard to say that it's _never_ worth the risk.

16. Sir Martin Keown

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok, I'm sure your right, I read that somewhere so someone must of been looking for a story that wasn't really there.

17. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Absolutely. Denver, Colorado wasn't exactly a hotbed of anti-French sentiment in March. Besides, since he never played a single minute for the team in Denver, only the truly hardcore Rapids fan would know who he was walking down the street. And among the hardcore that I know, no one would have tried to push his buttons.

I actually had a chance to talk to him a little bit at a party the Rapids had unveiling the new uniforms. He seemed really uncomfortable to me then, just kind of out of sorts and not enjoying himself. I think he was homesick, didn't like America, probably didn't see himself fitting in with the team, and that's why he left.

18. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Re: Re: Sol To Mls

Too bad MLS never cards for diving or I know one left coast team that would rack'em up quick. ;)

I wouldn't mind Sol in MLS. He's a great player. Like someone said earlier, look at what Preki is doing this year. Right now I'm just gonna concentrate on this year, cheering Arsenal on to another Double!

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    As good as a play Sol Campbell is now, I hope he will still have it when he's 33 and decides to try out for a MLS team.... Getting on the roster of a MLS team is not the cake walk it used to be..... unless your father is the coach of the US National Team....