Sol To Mls

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BorrachoNJ, Oct 23, 2003.

1. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    SOL CAMPBELL has vowed never to play for another English club again when he leaves Arsenal.

The England centre-back will instead quit this country for America, where he is targeting a swansong in the Major League Soccer.

He will then move into acting, where he sees himself as a cross between Denzel Washington and Samuel L Jackson.

Campbell, 29, said: "Arsenal will be my last English club. In three or four years' time I will leave the UK. I won't be staying here.

"I want to play a season in the MLS in America, maybe when I am 33 and still fit. I will stay at Arsenal as long as they want me. But then I will be leaving and I won't come back for a while.

"There are things I would like to achieve in America. I've got family there too."

WHERE WOULD THIS GUY FIT IN THE MOST?

2. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    At 33? Probably between the joints of a model airplane.

F*** off, Sol.

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33 is hardly ancient. Some players are losing it then and others are at or still near their peaks.
    Some have "slumps" in the early 30's and regain something in their mid-thirties.
    You just can't make a snap judgement.
    There's a 40 year old in MLS that any MLS team would want on their side. :)

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, look at Martin Keown. He's 65 and still in good physical condition.

If Sol comes to the MetroStars, he can play wherever the hell he wants!

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Sod off Sol

6. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    No, Sol, come to the NSL and play for Adelaide United ... we wear red. :(

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Dallas: Home of the Former Arsenal Defender

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    It's pretty tough to forecast how good Sol will be in four years' time, but if he wants to play in MLS some people may want to get the message to him that older players who take it seriously do well, and those who view it as a vacation get eaten alive.

That being said, I think he'd have to go downhill pretty fast, or almost every team in the league would want him and start him at age 33. The only way someone passes is if they're already stacked in central defense (Metros, Fire, LA, SJ come to mind, alhtough who knows if they'll still be stacked in four years time) and don't want to use the cap room on him. Maybe we can arrange a Bocanegra/Campbell swap.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 years time is pretty fast? 4 years time is an eternity for him to go down. I love watching the EPL, but I have thought that Sol Campbell has already shown signs of slowing down. If we were talking Rio Ferdinand, I would be singing a whole different tune, but i could ABSOLUTELY envision Sol Campbell being washed up in 4 years.

10. Rupert789

Rupert789 New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    33 too old? And how old was Seaman when he left?

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seaman is goalie. there is no comparison between goalies and field players, especially defenders. how many older defenders are able to hang on and be great. some, of course but not a whole bunch. the comparison to a goalie just isn't appropriate.

12. akimmel

akimmel New Member

May 19, 2003
    Frisco
    What is this, the 5th or 6th big name English player to make this decleration? Yet, to date, none have come. It's one thing to say this off-handedly, or to keep it in the back of one's mind. But when they start looking into the details, particularly the salary, somehow it never materializes. I'll believe it when he signs his name to a MLS contract and not a second before.

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Sol To Mls

I second that. :)

14. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Yhea on yer bike Sol, don't you know there's a place for old bastards like you, it's called Wolverhampton Wanderers, you can play domminoes with Ince and Irwin.

15. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Maybe you should actually give Sol a chance to prove himself rather than just assume he will go the way of lothar. 33 is still a baby. Preki is the leading MLS scorer & hes 40. In the NHL where they play a GRUELING 82 game season not including playoffs, 42 year old Slava Fetisov is one of the top players on the Stanley Cup winning NJ devils.

16. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Fetisov hasn't been on the Devils in over a decade and has never won the cup with them accept as a coach. However, the Devils did just sign 42 year old Larionov who won 3 cups with Detroit.

17. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Right, thats who I meant

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please forgive me if don't believe a word of this. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? I'm not calling you a liar, I've just seen this type of stuff posted too many times.

19. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I'd like to see a link, too.

If it happened, where would he go? Why, to the Galaxy or the Metrostars, of course. Do we even need to ask?

20. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    MLS

Hell, Carlos Valderama seemed like he was 50 when he left, and though he would slow, his skill on the ball made the men half his age look silly.

Sol is no Valerama

21. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sol wants to come to MLS and play hard for a few seasons, great. If he wants to repeat the comic tragedy of Lothar Matthaus, I'll just hang my head and look away every time he's on TV. Especially if he ends up with the Revs.

But I'll be interested when Sol's signed a contract, and not before. He could find a little pace again in his thirties-- just look at Martin Keown. He's older than the hills, and yet flails his way up and down the back line with surprising aplomb.

22. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Whats the big problem with Sol wanting to come to MLS one day... i think it's great that he thinks this way. Many players worldwide view MLS as very young now but expect it to become a great and prosperous league in the future and would like to be a part of it somehow. And what better way of being a part of it then to play in the league even if it means only for one year or short period of time. I also think those players that expressed their intrest in playing here know very well the financial circumstances of playing in MLS at this current momment.

In my opinion any international star with the intention of helping his new team win, even one not in his peak, should be more then welcomed to come play in MLS. What this league needs is publicity and a higher level of play and what better way of doing this then to have the likes of David Beckham, Ronaldo, Sol Campbell, ..etc playing through out the United States.

Plus I think Sol would look great in a MetroStars kit.

23. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    The BIG question:

How many red cards do you think he'll accumulate in the MLS?

24. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    to be honest, 33 isn't that old for a central defender

teams can funnel traffic into him, and he won't be having to track players down, its a good spot for an old guy, ask Lalas

25. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    A higher level of play, absolutely that's what MLS needs. F the publicity. After the whole Grimandi fiasco, I'm pretty cautious about any formerly great player, no matter how big his name is.