Sochaux & Steady: Davies will win the race (The Saga Continues) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kuttie90, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would no longer qualify for a WP without an appeal, correct?

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon scored 17 total goals, not 11. How many assists did Landon have? What about Charlie's assists?

If someone is going to portray the fact that Davies scored 11 goals as a valid argument of his performance then you cannot say that it isn't equally valid to point out that 4 of those were from penalties.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but some people act like scoring penalties is a negative. It shows who the coach trusts with the ball when the game is on the line.

4. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right - doubt he would get one.

I'm not buying this.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should try to find a club in Holland. Might learn to contribute in other areas, which he could definitely improve upon.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they bought some Argentine striker this summer

they also overpaid for that Russian flop Bilyetinov (sp?) within the last 4 years

7. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/ever...n-everton-fc-s-american-link-100252-29908780/

An "article" from the Liverpool Echo today. I'm trying to figure out where the headline comes from: "Charlie Davies keen on Everton FC's American link" (huh? Where do they get that from? It's gibberish). The only "link" in the article is this: "reports in the French media have immediately linked him with a move to Everton. The Blues have not confirmed the link, but David Moyes has positive experiences of his dealings with American strikers."

Well then. There's that.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a loan for the Argentine striker.

Last winter Everton signed Vellios but for a nominal fee. In the fall of 09/10 season they spent 20 million but that was due to selling Lescott for 22 mill.

9. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldnt call bily a flop, moyes has barely given him a shot. he seems to score alot for his limited minutes. IMO

10. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Wow just rain on our parade!!! :D

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is correct though. From the FA's website:
    However, note the text I bolded.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So noted.

More concerning, are we still at or above 70th place in the official FIFA World Rankings?

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you're trying to be funny because I don't think there is any chance of that happening in the near future. We've never been below 35th.

Highest FIFA ranking
    4 - April 2006. .
    Lowest FIFA Ranking
    35 - October 1997.

If we lost every match over the next year we'd be at about 367 points, which would be 98th place right now. But if we were to just draw one of those matches, even a friendly against American Samoa, we would get at least 42.5 points for it and more than likely a lot more. A draw in a WCQ would get us at least 200. 70th place is currently 462 points. So, a win or a draw even with the rest losses and we'd remain top 70. Not to mention that as far as the English FA is concerned they use average FIFA ranking over the past two years for work permits. So, we'd have to do very poorly for a very long time for this to be an issue.

14. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we're at 34th now. So if we drop 9 points relative to Peru or 12 relative to Colombia, we've can make history!

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Davies in England? Would that mean a return of the stanky leg?

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is interesting that Mexican teams are dying to sign American players right now. They're going after all kinds from young to old to inexperienced to the top US Soccer stars.

BUT

Davies just constantly seems to be overestimating how good he really is right now. I don't see the downside of a loan to Mexico, other than he is obsessed with proving himself in Europe instead of anywhere else.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Another update from the usual source:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/24/american-exports-charlie-davies-heads-back-sochaux

Unlike last year, Sochaux is merely average at scoring goals. Of the two 15 goal scorers from last year, Ideye is now at Dynamo Kiev and Maiga is trying to transfer to Newcastle. There is also a trio of young strikers with 2-3 goals each, but this isn't like last year where Sochaux had 2 strikers in brilliant form all season.

1 person likes this.
  20. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already scored at Azteca. Pretty much the pinnacle of soccer in Mexico.

Plus, I'm sure the cups of piss thrown at him didn't do much to encourage him to return.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Mr. Goff

I wonder who this club is. I wonder what Danish team could pay his salary? FCK, Brondby, OB?

22. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More importantly. I wonder who the source is.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    :eek:

Just kidding. Normally Goff quotes Davies' agent, Lyle Yorks, by name, although I guess Yorks might also want to pass along 'unofficial' information.

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    According to Sochaux's official site, Davies will return to training tomorrow.

This article
    from a French publication looks into the role he will play at Sochaux. Manager Mehmed Baždarević seems willing to give Davies a shot at proving himself on the field.

25. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still young. Hopefully he can pull it together and get back to his former self. It's somewhere in him, and we saw glimpses of it at DCU. If he comes back, it would be a HUGE addition to the 2014 roster.