Sochaux & Steady: Davies will win the race (The Saga Continues) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kuttie90, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, Chicharito tapped his way into Manchester United's starting lineup for much of last season.

I think people are talking about rebounds and tap-ins with a tone of reproach regarding Davies is because CD isn't a poacher. His core strength is (or perhaps, was) his ability to stretch defenses with speed and explosiveness, creating opportunities for himself and space for others. He could reinvent himself as a good poacher in MLS, but when was the last time we had a good poacher in MLS who was helpful on the international stage?

It's a step down from what CD was before and that's what people are lamenting.

1 person likes this.
  2. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Nice post. I was about to write something very similar.

3. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People, me/probably everyone on here included, can never get enough. Everyone wants Charlie to come back to what he was, and better, but it's easy to forget to put things in perspective. It's amazing he's as far as he is now considering what he went through. Granted I still want him to get back to what he was...

4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    But now we are at the point where is he going to continue to regain what he once had or is this it? I am afraid this is it.

5. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't wanna agree with you but i might be inclined. for now anyways his "it" factor is gone, if it even comes back.

6. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    I wonder if there is another player that you could look at as an example. It has been over a year since he was potentially available for the World Cup. I think this is it, I just don't know if he can continue to improve his pace. He could develop more technical skill and use less athleticism, but I think he should hope that DC makes him a permanent signing. I think he would get lost at Sochaux next year if not.

7. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's way too early to say whether this is it or not. He's half way through his first season back from a devastating injury. He's flagging physically and mentally. It's not what we all want to see, but it's not surprising, or at least it shouldn't be surprising that he has hit a wall.

At the end of the year we will have a better idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if it takes more than this season to reach his peak again. Fortunately, despite his poor form recently, he's clearly good enough to get regular minutes playing professional soccer. He's nowhere close to ready for a top league and may never be, but at 25 he's got plenty of time to reach his new peak, whatever it may be.

I assure you that this isn't it.

8. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only in his own mind and the collective hopes of Big Soccer. The professionals who all saw him play said otherwise.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. IIRC, since joining DCU, he admitted that he was fooling himself and was in a state of denial at the time.

10. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    That exactly. I wasnt trying to downplay the goals that hes scored. If I was trying to downgrade I wouldve elaborated. But no. Goals are goals (well..you get my point atleast). Lets try the Adu Fanatic Supporter Theory. Watch some of his reels from playing at Sochaux and with the Nats. The kid could do it all. He ran at defenders. He beat defenders on and off the ball. He had a decent touch. And! He could create goals on his own. (Now this is where I vary from most fans and come down from the clouds) I, myself have yet to see anything thats convincing of him being still capable.

Maybe its confindence in himself? Maybe he doesnt have it anymore. Or maybe its creeping up at a snails pace to full effect. I dont know. He appears to be treading water. He's not getting anywhere. But atleast he's afloat.

IMO:
    And I hope like hell he proves me wrong. But I think were seeing the beginning to the fall of Charlie as opposed to the rise. :mad:

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already fallen as low as you get personally and professionally with his accident. Everything from here on out, I believe, is a rise. He's one lucky SOB not be in a grave or at the very least not playing soccer. Is he the Charlie of old? No. And I don't see how anyone can compare Charlie now to the old Charlie. He's a different person mentally, physically, the whole nine yards. While his play isn't that great, I marvel that he's even on the pitch doing things even marginally. I said all along that this season is the trial. Year 2 will really give an indication of what the future holds.

12. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Youre getting way to deep and gushy with your side. Im not looking at Charlie from a poetic or heroic stand point by no means what so ever. Yes I know he is lucky, and its miracle he's alive. Hell about any buck off the streets who watches ESPN knows that.
    Can we talk soccer now? Can we talk about where Charlie is at as a player? Can we talk about what to expect from Charlie and when (if anything else at all)?

Thank you. Much better.

And I hope you're right, and I'm not. But I still stand by what I say when it comes to Charlie as a considered player. Until otherwise.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he may have been Josh Wolf'd with that injury. A nice MLS forward with technical ability, but a shell of himself pace-wise.

14. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Nice article from Goff on how Davies met with a sports psychologist prior to the Chivas game.

Thought that part was interesting, because Donovan had said the same thing about games in the 2006 world cup. . .. and ended up crediting a therapist for helping him deal with doing a better job of mentally staying tuned in with the game.

Also talks about how DCU has to decide what they'll do with Charlie at the end of the season.

15. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's latest contains an update on the Davies loan deal.

The condensed version - Sochaux probably don't want him back, DCU probably can't afford the negotiated buy clause, so let the dickering commence

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Charlie should void his contract if this is the case. He needs to continue you to get pt. He can't afford to be not playing.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

This part is pure speculation. He literally says it is a "guess".

Why is the first reaction "Oh, they just should give up their contract"? That's very easy to say from afar and the clubs are just let off the hook. Besides, who says that automatically helps the situation?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That would suck Big time if Sochaux just decided to drop him despite his recovery and return to form this season. He could always find another club to go to in Europe, probably in a smaller league though.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sochaux sold one if their successful strikers, Brown Ideye, to some team in Russia. I don't know how they've been doing since then.

20. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not my usual first reaction. I never called for Freddy, Jermaine or Jozy to void their contracts. Davies is a different case. He can not afford to sit out a season in limbo.

21. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why would he sit in limbo?

Has he returned to form? He's scored goals, but still seems like he's not the same player.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yes Davies has been scoring goals, but most games he has looked pretty poor. He disappears from games a lot and a lot of his goals came from the pk spot.

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not the same player, but people need to back off and give him some time. After that horrifying accident & his serious injuries, it's a miracle that he is not dead, much less actually playing professional soccer. I've said it before: he is finding out, now - this year, what his body can and cannot do as a professional soccer player.

With the trainers of whichever team he will be with, he should be working on strengthening his weaknesses (first touch & speed, IMHO) in the offseason.

NEXT year will give the really accurate picture of where he is, recovery wise. He knows that by & large, his body is holding up to the physical demands of a professional, including a couple of niggling injuries. He still has work to do to get his touch and speed back. If he is fortunate, he will recover at least part of what he used to have.

Good, bad, or otherwise, he has amazed me. I hope that DC will keep him.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That sounds reasonable Winoman - I was more responding to the comment that he'd returned to form above as I was under the impression he has a ways to go. Hopefully DC and Sochaux can come to reasonable terms, assuming DC can afford to bring him back.

25. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think Davies will be back with dc next year.

My best guess is that dc declines the buyout price, sochaux briefly shops Davies around to smaller leagues in Europe and then they lend him to dc again.