Socceroos in our hearts.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by aussie_ascoli, Jun 29, 2006.

1. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    You can safely say that this team has been 8 years in the making. Its like watching your favourite tv show, then the show ends.
    But what a journey
    Sadest moment was against Iran, i think the whole nation cried on that one.
    Then after the Uruguay campaign 1, we thought after that we'll never make it.
    Then we see emerging talent like Bresciano, Cahill (little bit later) and Grella.
    We beat England
    Oceania Qualies, I was there for Aus-NZ and Aus-Fiji, and i see Cahill's first ever cap, at marden sports complex.
    Kalac tells me to stop thinking about Ascoli, and concentrate about AUS. lol, I tried to initiate a transfer from Perugia to Ascoli.
    And listening to Farina from the sidelines was a joke, he had no idea.
    At this point the FFA had started its journey, i think.
    I and many others sign a petition to sack Frank
    We start having more friendlies against smaller nations, and all is not looking good.
    The Confeds cup arrives, and we are pleasantly surprised, in our attacking abilities. But defensively a joke.
    GUUS becomes our main man, and that air of qualification is here.
    After the Solomon island game, GUUS says the way we've played we will not qualify.
    We all listen out for news, tactics, whatever about the team.
    The important date nears for the big one.

Then history writes itself.
    But its sad to see a good thing end. A memory that will last for ever is the national anthem against URU, standing there singing was unbelievable, and that game was incredible.
    And the send off against Greece with 95 000 was another memorable moment.
    The celebrations here for the socceroos success. Its been all great, until it ended - FOR NOW.
    This team will forever be in our memories, and hopefully we can say this was the start of all good things to come. Socceroos 74 put the foundations, and socceroos 06 started building.
    It hurt to see Aus out - our hearts believed we could win the whole thing, but our heads said differently. One day our hearts will be right.

Whats your journey with the Socceroos been like?

2. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    The worst memories i have had was definately the Iran vs Australia games.

Also, the 98 or 99 Oceania Nations Cup where we played NZ with our local based guys. We lost 1-0 and boy where some of hte boys pissed. I remember Damian Mori storming out of the stadium yelling at someone.

Best memories...definately this years world cup and the emergance of the A-League.

3. Aloisi_Class

Aloisi_Class New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Having only lived in Aus for 2 years of my life, i never got the oppurtunity to ever see the Socceroos in action in front of a home crowd. That however, only made me more focused on trying to get tickets to the Group games which i managed and the Japanese and Croatian games were easily some of the best moments of my life, the elation after the Japanese game and the relief after the Croatian game.

You dont forget those kind of moments.