soccernet - Ruud the Riot Act

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Ellison, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=278214&cc=5901

"..... He is a goalscorer par excellence, but he lacks the thrilling pace or elan of his Arsenal rival Thierry Henry. Despite a series of quality strikes at the end of last season, van Nistelrooy's goals are more inevitable than aesthetic masterpieces ... "

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I say this as someone who'd like to see a death match between Robbie Savage and Ruud van Nistelrooy that ends in a 1-1 draw, but...

His inevitable goals count just as much as Henry's masterpieces, and that will always be the case so long as this sport doesn't start relying on judges for scoring a la figure skating.

3. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: soccernet - Ruud the Riot Act

Ah, but who's more fun to watch? And who's got that Gallic flair? :D

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: soccernet - Ruud the Riot Act

who the hell cares. a goal is a goal is a goal ..... and Ruud scores a whole lot of 'em.

5. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: soccernet - Ruud the Riot Act

yeh a whole lot. as opposed to henry who scores very little and doesn't assist either. ruud the mighty had what, a whole 2 assists last season?

6. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: soccernet - Ruud the Riot Act

Touche...

7. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just in from the ManUre boards: Giggs and Ronaldo did nothing wrong in the match and are only being punished so Arsenal fans will feel good about themselves.
    And this little beauty of an answer comes from our favorite sanctimonious moderator, Motterman.

Obivously, Giggs and Ronaldo are victims of the highest degree, just like the rest of the ManUre world.

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean you miss us OPArsenal?

Have nothing to gripe about, so you poach quotes from the United Forum now, is it?

Tut, tut.

The lads in my forum know me well enough to taste the sarcasm, btw.

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Motterman and OP Arsenal. Dawn. Pistols at 10 paces.

Coming next week on BigSoccer PPV.

10. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point by point: You do the same to us. Gotta love hypocrisy.

So does this use of sarcasm mean that (GASP!!!) RvN DID do something worthy of action?

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a Joke. They charged Giggs and Ronaldo only because they didn't have anything on Ruud? That's so silly, it should be obvious what the point was, even for you guys. :)

Yeah well, after the Poll about wanting to keep the United posters out of your Forum, I couldn't help but to have a giggle at the irony of you importing our comments the very next day. :D

12. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So Mutt, are you saying that Giggs' near miss and C. Ronaldo's harmless step overs are not the equivalent of RvN's dangerous (and I mean physically harmful) play? Can you be objective about this?

13. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    too bad henry didnt score any at the end of last season when arse needed it

hail RVN RVN

14. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    yes, hail RVN...let's do a little number crunching. i know stats are stupid, but hopefully this will shut you up. ok, let's look at goals. total, henry had 32 last season, RvN had 44. looks like RvN has henry beat. but if you look at goals resulting from penalties, RvN had 12 goals from pens, while henry had only 3. now, i know a goal is a goal, but there are some that you are just expected to score. although, as the almighty dumbass ruud showed us this weekend, expectations can fall short...or slam off of crossbars for that matter. so in total goals, RvN leads henry by 12 goals. in goals from actual play RvN only leads henry by 3, that is 29 to 32. here is the big difference. according to 4thegame.com, henry led the league in assists with 23. that's 23 goals that henry created using his skill. while the list stopped at 6, RvN wasn't on it anywhere, which can only have me assume that he had less than 6 assists in the season. so, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him 5. here are my results if i add all goals and assists. the first results are from open play, the rest is including pk's in the total. just food for thought:

Henry goals: 53 goals

RvN goals: 38 goals

Henry with pens: 56 goals

RvN with pens: 49 goals

wow, it really is too bad henry can't do any better than this. i mean, we should really think of getting a new striker to replace him. we'd do better with a statue of him on the pitch. i think that these results show the difference between a quality GOALSCORER and a quality PLAYER

15. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just hit me. Thank God, Beckham's gone or they'd be bitching about him too.

16. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL