Soccernet 12/18: Quakes Players Unhappy, Too

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ismitje, Dec 18, 2005.

1. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space
    See, now that makes no sense to what was said.

What does any of that have to do with what I said?

Yeah, people get transferred all the time, and it still bothers the parents because they have to uproot their children and family from someplace.

Free country or not, it still sucks majorly.

2. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's a lovely attitude to have. So no matter how many fans come out to support you, you would still not be nice to them because they aren't your people? I'm glad you aren't a player because I'd hate to support someone like you.

I've stayed out of this thread because of the fact that 1. I am from houston and 2. I've been a Quakes fan for the last 5 years. But that comment was so assinine I had to reply to it. I understand bitterness. Hell the team is coming to my city, and I'm still bitter. No, I don't think the players will immediately warm up to Houston. No one who is forced to uproot their families and their lives and move to somewhere with oppressive heat and humidity would be happy. But I would expect that they would eventually like the city. I hope that no one stays unhappy. I won't throw out salary numbers and cost of living comparisons, but I would hope that the fans of the new team would convince them to give the city and the new team a chance.

I just hope they don't take the low road like bright here suggested, because they will have fans behind them and that's a crappy way to treat them.

Say what you want, but it's not like the people in Houston stole the team away. If you want to be angry and bitter, go right ahead. I'm joining you in those regards, because however much I wanted a team down here, I certainly didn't want it to be yall's team and everyone here knows that. But don't blame the fans for being excited and getting behind their team. It's what I would hope would happen.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did Houston fans do to help keep the Quakes in San Jose? Did any Houston fans write to the league and say "Hey, moving the Quakes is not cool. Please don't move them to Houston." And here is truthandlife basically saying, "Aw shucks, guys, that must suck, but I am so glad to have your team, and I am sure they will love living here." Where is his outrage that a team was taken away from its fans?

- Paul

4. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even realize that you just insulted a great deal of single and married women around this nation. Both those who work for whatever reason and those who give themselves to providing daycare.

UGH!

I suppose your wife is waiting at the door when you get home from work with your slippers and a martini too. :rolleyes:

Your wife's personal choice has NOTHING to with what the Quakes families choices would be. For many many reasons, not everyone sees staying home with the kids necessarily a plus.

People are different and I'm afraid that fitting into that type of "mold" is just not what our guys, or anyone who has lived in the Bay Area for any amount of time, is used to - unless that was their own personal choice.

5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    not even close, Bay Area living is off the charts

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the players aren't happy, then they would have a difficult time playing hard and interacting with the fans. That isn't a tactic, it is human nature.

- Paul

7. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space
    Sorry, didn't elaborate much.

I was referring to the housing plus more use of the AC comment earlier. I know it doesn't completely even out, but add a few factors in, and it's eh.

I know that Cali's cost of living is still nuts, but given the weather, the threats of tornadoes, other misc factors that Texas has, I know I'd prefer to live in a state where cost of living is the main problem next to earthquakes.

I don't know how to explain it, but I've been in the same situation before and the cost of living factor doesn't mean squat unless that's the main reason you're moving.

8. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    So the Quake players don't want to move? Can't blame them at all. Changing cities sucks. Many years, I was working for a company that decided to shut down in Denver. They offered me a move to another locale. I went out there, worked with the local people, rented a car and drove around for a week. I checked out housing but it was incredibly expensive. From where I could afford to buy, the commute would have been ridiculous. Finally, I went back to Denver, told them no way and got my resume together. That job would have been in the Bay area. The company had an office in Concord.

Having your company transfer you is a bitch. Doesn't matter the line of work. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the marginal players decide it isn't worth it and go back to college.

9. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space

Don't get so defensive. I don't think that they were implying that the SJ players are going to be rude to the Houston fans. I was under the impression that the implication was that the players would feel weird and a little out of place signing autographs for fans they aren't quite used to.

Can you imagine that? I know I'd feel a little weird. To go from signing autographs in a place you're familiar with, surrounded by fans in blue, to someplace totally different and surrounded by fans of x color?

Nothing about being rude towards the fans, just having a hard time adjusting to something so sudden is all.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I was young--about the age of a lot of the players--I left a good job in a city I couldn't stand (Chicago) to come back here and job hunt. I was unemployed for longer than I want to remember. Of course, it's different when you have a family, but if you're going to be poor, this is the place to be--there is a lot to do that doesn't cost a cent. Yeah, the housing is expensive, and just about everyone I know lives in small overpriced houses with hardly any land...but so what? Who sits at home? Once you get past housing, I'd say the cost of living is probably not that different from most other places.

However, if we're talking about relative salaries, let's keep in mind that most of the players don't make a huge amount of money playing soccer. But many (maybe all) coach club teams and offer private classes and camps on the side, and those, I would imagine, augment their incomes substantially. For example, Richie Mulrooney is charging $175/kid for the two day camp he's offering this week. How much could he get for that in Houston? $25?

I don't think many of us in the bay area would trade our squalid shacks for mansions in Houston. But I bet a lot of you Houstonites (and Norman dwellers) yearn to live in the bay area. (I don't expect you to admit it here. But c'mon, folks.)

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You missed the part about her being wrapped in saran wrap.

I have to say...one thing I like about my neighborhood is that we have as many stay-at-home dads as stay-at-home moms.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's a business, though, and I think most of them will get over that as soon as they see a large, appreciative crowd in Houston (assuming that's what they do see).

I'll take "unrealistic expectations" for $800 Alex.

It's not like you heard a massive chorus of "your loss, suckers" either.

13. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space

Exactly. I moved from a situation where my family wasn't doing so well to Cali. And even though the cost of living is higher, the opportunity is better, and the state takes care of it's people. Being poor in some states means you're screwed over. If you're poor in Cali, there is always something to turn to that you can use for help. Living in the world's 5th largest economy has it's perks, overpriced housing and all.

14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

that part may have some merit ;)

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. In a year let's see what the players have to say about living there. No need to trash the city or its denizens.

(But, playing in 95 degree temps and 95% humidity is going to feel like they're playing for FC Hellhole, especially on that Field Turf.) yuck!

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright, come a little closer...I need to tell you something...just a little closer, put your face near the screen..... SLAP SLAP!! Now snap out of it! You are starting to sound ridiculous. Not sign autographs! Roll over and let the other team win. That would certainly be a way out of Houston!

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
  18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most careers in the non-soccer world have more than one employer offering jobs in this country.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are Quakes fans supposed to do about a Fire fan trolling the Houston forum?

20. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space

Yeah, that's totally uncalled for.

Even the thread titled "Ways to get back at AEG" makes me want to cringe, because it makes the fans look bad trying to be all revengeful. Everyone's entitled to be bitter, upset, and angry about all of this, but damn, don't be immature and stupid about it.

Don't go after Houston, they didn't do anything but be on the end of all this mess.

Same goes for them. Don't be flaunting that stuff in our face either. We just lost our team, and we have to listen to "Oh wow, thanks for the link! I didn't even know where I could get tickets!" and other similar comments about their "new" team.

21. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mike Segroves again.

22. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space
    Yeah, I know.

It's just not the main factor here in this situation. I don't know why truthandlife seems to think that it's such a big deal. I think the players are more worried about the huge relocation and their families. I was under the impression that some of these guys are living somewhat comfortably, so why the hell would they care about cost of living? Yeah, it's a perk, but they don't seem so worried about that.

I know I don't miss the extremely cold winters, the tornado threats, and other crazy weather, as well as some of the crap I came across in the south. I'm sure the boys will be missing the warmer weather in the winter, and missing the dry heat in the summers. Playing in that humid stuff sucks so much.

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

San Jose-Safest Big City in America 4 years in a row.

24. atypicalquakesfan

atypicalquakesfan Go Houston!

Jun 19, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    Seems to be over. The big companies are hiring, startups are sprouting like mushrooms. My husband is being deluged by recruiters--that's how you can really tell. If it weren't for the Quakes leaving, I'd be singing "Happy Days are Here Again!"

So anyway, how's the weather out there in Chicago? ;)

- Holly Ward

25. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I sure did. Wrote letters to as many people that I could. Went to MLS Cup and sat with the Quakes supporters as we grilled Don Garber. Thanks for the stereotype.