Soccernet 12/18: Quakes Players Unhappy, Too

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ismitje, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSV's last message to its members encouraged Houston fans to support their new team in the spirit in which those players were supported here. This is the first sign that something like that might happen.

Thanks, good luck, and we'll see you in '07!

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I saw Wade Barrett at Valley Fair yesterday. I told him thanks and good luck. Maybe I should've asked him a few more questions but, I can only imagine how he must feel. As I've said before, this is a sad day for us, but a flaming tragedy for these guys! Houston! cowboy boots...! god, I feel bad for them.

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    a bazillion even

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    exactly

5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should of told him we want you back in 07.:D

6. atypicalquakesfan

atypicalquakesfan Go Houston!

Jun 19, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    I'm sure Houston is very nice, and I sincerely HOPE that our Quakes won't be too unhappy. But remember, they are far from home, far from friends, family, and fans. And I sincerely doubt whether MLS/AEG is doing much to help them settle in. Not to mention that while you're used to the extremes of temperature, our guys are not.

I'm the sort of person who always looks on the bright side--but even I'd have to say that you're being a just a little too optimistic here.

- Holly Ward

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    good point too...I think the Texas hospitality thing is real. I know they kind of looked after me for awhile during a tough chapter in my life. Winnie Texas (near Beaumont)..shout out! Boss Hogs, circa 1980! ;)

8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulaions you win NOTHING...Now go away.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    i'm sure norman has a lot more to offer :D

10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everything..The Sharks and Giants are still here..Are you still bitter about MLS cup 2003?

11. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree that it definitely beats Houston in the amount of taxes San Jose citizens pay and the cost of living. Houston is a dream for MLS players. These guys are payed peanuts compared to other professional athletes. How in the world do they even afford San Jose? Do they live on food stamps or have 3 jobs? How many of these guys were renting apartments together because they could not afford it on their own or could not even afford to buy a house?

These guys will be living like kings compared to how they were living in San Jose. Let's see what the players say after a year in Houston.

2004 MLS Salaries (I am sorry I don't have 2005)

PLAYER BASE-GUARANTEED*
    Donovan, Landon: $280,000/$367,500
    Mulrooney, Richard: $150,000/$161,000
    Dayak, Troy: $100,000/$100,000
    Onstad, Patrick: $93,500/$93,500
    DeRosario, Dwayne: $69,457.50/$69,457.50
    Corrales, Ramiro: $69,457/$69,457
    Russell, Ian: $65,000/$66,250
    Dunivant, Todd: $42,000/$52,000
    Faria, Rodrigo: $47,250/$48,625
    Robinson, Eddie: $45,000/$45,625
    Alvarez, Arturo: $28,350/$41,550
    Conway, Jon: $40,000/$40,750
    Mullan, Brian: $34,728.75/$34,728.75
    Waibel, Craig: $33,571.65/$33,571.65
    Levesque, Roger: $28,350/$33,350
    Ching, Brian: $32,550/$32,550
    Roner, Chris: $25,200/$25,200
    Walker, Jamil: $24,000: $24,000

What does $24,000 buy you in San Jose? A cardboard box.

12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you assume everyone of them lived in San Jose?

13. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well they lived in California which is unbelievably expensive compared to Texas with no state income tax and I can get a 3,800 sq ft. house for $230K. Could you do that in California?

14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I think it's better to stay out of the comparison trap... Personally I don't like Houston, something to do with Bush, Enron, humidity, etc., etc...Texas on the other hand is okay w/ me. But, I'm going to resist the temptation to trash Houston...you guys got a championship caliber pro-soccer team. No one can fault you for wanting that. But, your gain is our terrible loss. Expect bitterness.

15. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Quakes player, I'd find it difficult to play hard and sign autographs after the games in Houston. Even if the people are nice, they aren't your people.

And also, for all those who perpetually focus on the business side of this decision, soccer in this country is so much more community-oriented than the other major sports. There are many reasons for that which I won't go into. But we all know what it is like to support a soccer team. Moving a soccer team as entrenched in the community as the Quakes is just plain evil. I don't see how the supposed business positives (many of which are dubious) outweigh the damage that this move has inflicted on the San Jose soccer community. Not just the players' families, but also the fans' families. Philip Anschutz likes to portray himself as a wholesome conservative family-values type of person. But he is slime.

I know the Quakes players will try hard to win no matter what because they are professionals. But it would be nice to see them lay down for their home games and give the fans a poor product just to screw AEG. They can win on the road, just suck at home. Anything to send a message to AEG that they are not all-powerful and that their decisions impact real people.

- Paul

16. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We will take the baton and hopefully support the team like you guys did. I am curious what does Enron and Bush (Sr. and/or Jr.) have to do with Houston? Does this have an impact on the team coming? I can see how the humidity might have an impact on disliking the city. I would love for you guys to come down sometime and visit. We will show you great hospitality.

17. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thank goodness you are not one of the players and definitely not a professional. I understand your bitterness but those statements are plain ludicrous. They are making a living playing the game they love.

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    truthandlife, the whole basis for your assumption that the players will like Houston better than San Jose is so superficial. You say they will like it because of financial reasons. There are other reasons for wanting to live somewhere. I would not doubt that your superficial attitude is a reflection of a widespread inane perspective of life that exists in Houston. Oh, look at my big car and house. What a life! The more I gluttonously consume and throw away, the happier I am! You don't seem to understand that there may be deeper layers of life that the players found meaningful to them in the Bay Area that can't be replicated in Houston, and the higher living expense was worth it. That's the long and the short of it.

- Paul

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    well put

20. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Paul you don't even know me. My wife gets to stay home with my kids because of the low cost of living here in Houston. If I lived in San Jose my wife would be working and would not have a choice. A daycare doesn't raise my kids, my wife does.

I didn't say every player is going to like Houston. I just know that with the salary range that MLS players are getting paid, it is a little easier to swallow when you don't have to shack up with 4 other players just to get by. They might hate the city, humidity, people etc. I don't know. I am just highlighting some of the high points of moving to Houston.

Bitterness is not a good for the soul.

21. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space

I'm glad you're trying to be optimistic there, but honey, no. As a person who lived in California first, and then moved to the south and then back, it is not something they'll adjust to. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't care for it. You can't compare your area to Any part of California, esp the Bay Area. So what if the cost of living is cheaper. They won't like the humidity. Hell, I know I sure as hell don't miss it. I'll trade cost of living over that any day. It about evens out if you think about it.

22. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space
    Let's not forget the uprooting their families will have to endure. Especially their kids. That's who it'll be hardest on. Which will really bother the players and their wives.

23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I know there are many wonderful parts of the bay area where the players live, but how does San Jose itself compare to Houston in those annual quality of life indexes?

I'm down on this move and I'm not a fan of Texas "culture" myself, but in my short visits to Houston I thought it had some really cool things going for it. I also see no benefit to trashing Texas. Houston MLS fans aren't to blame for this move or for George W. Why make adversaries of fans whose support we may need in the expansion fight?

24. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Do you think people get transfered from jobs in the non-soccer world? The players could always quit playing MLS soccer and get out into the real world into a job that doesn't even compare to playing pro soccer. We still live in a free country.

25. sc2002

sc2002 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Space
    I don't think you're getting the point of the whole move. Finances don't mean squat if you're making such a huge and sudden move. I don't know about you, but I moved way too much when I was a kid, and out of the 6-7 moves I've had, two were huge out of state moves. It really messes with your life. I know the second out of state move really messed things up, and that move was for financial purposes as well. Money does not equal happiness, so you might as well drop the financial "gain" they'd be getting. Big deal. With the contracts that some have with Nike/Adidas/Puma/whoever and other miscellaneous companies, they do relatively well.