Soccer viewing not for the faint of heart - NEJM

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was worthy of a new thread, if not, mods, feel free to move...

While perusing my current favorite medical journal, New England Journal of Medicine, I saw a new original contribution with an eye-catching headline:

Cardiovascular Events during World Cup Soccer

In this Germany-based study, the investigators looked at the incidence of acute cardiovascular events during days in which the German national team played in the World Cup last year. They found an overall increase in incidence of acute cardiovascular events during games compared to control by a factor of 2.66 (95% CI, 2.33 to 3.04; P<0.001), with an increase in men of 3.26 times that during the control period (95% CI, 2.78 to 3.84; P<0.001), and for women, it was 1.82 times that during the control period (95% CI, 1.44 to 2.31; P<0.001).

47.0% of the events on German national team matchdays were in people with established coronary heart disease, and the most common time for events to occur was within the first two hours after the start of the matches. They also found a statistically significant increase in ST-elevation MI, non-ST-elevation MI, and cardiac arrhythmia causing significant symptoms over non-matchdays.

Their conclusion: "Viewing a stressful soccer match more than doubles the risk of an acute cardiovascular event. In view of this excess risk, particularly in men with known coronary heart disease, preventive measures are urgently needed."

Link to abstract: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/358/5/475

Just wanted to warn you all before the US-Mexico match and the upcoming Wizards season to pack your Nitro if you have and need it, and listen to your body if you have serious symptoms.
    The old precordial "Da Bears!" thump on the chest isn't gonna do it. :)

Wanted to make sure I did my medical duty for the day. ;)

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhh, memories. that was a classic skit. rep for bringing that back up. farley busted my gut so many times.