Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Exactly. The spoken words "$20 million" get your voice message deleted and your number blocked.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the f*** are you talking about?

Miami acquired Messi on a salary $20.4 million minus the $651,250 that comes from the salary budget.

There was nothing stopping Burnley from partnering with a sponsor to offer Messi $20.4 million a year.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    MLS got Messi to look in Miami's general direction because they partnered with Adidas offered him part ownership of Miami. What the ******** did you think happened for him to come here in the first god damn place?

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They're certainly not going to allow poor Atlanta to do any sch thing. ******** am I talking about...

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's a morally worthless cartel, no matter how much I may love the club.

Deadtigers and M repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnley could have done the same thing.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out some world-class defending for the Shrewsbury goals.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    :ROFLMAO:

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One parallel was Middlesbrough signing Fabrizio Ravanelli from Juventus in 1996, or even further back, Third Division Notts County signing England center-forward Tommy Lawton from Chelsea in 1947.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Whoops

Messi however didn’t paint the level of competition in the league in the best light when asked in an interview with Star+ but his priorities in 2024.

“I said it several times and it is a reality – I will always try to compete to the maximum and I am the first to know when I can be there and when I can’t,” Messi told the outlet.

“I am also aware that I went to a minor league, but a lot happens because of the way one faces it and competes.”

https://nypost.com/2023/12/02/sport...or-league-while-reveals-world-cup-status/amp/

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    What? I mean, it's in the name: MAJOR league soccer. What an idiot! /s

Does anyone really think that MLS is not minor league?

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect the interview was in Spanish so I doubt he used the term "minor league". He may have used menos or menores, which could mean lower or lesser league.

Considering the Post hates soccer it's not surprising they used that term.

Deadtigers, luftmensch, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. He said “fui a una liga menor” meaning “I went to a lesser league”. Obviously he means lesser compared to the top leagues in Europe, a statement of fact. Some people take it as an insult, but it’s not.

For example, if Kemba Walker said about his move from the NBA to the Euro league, “I went to a lesser league”, nobody would have a problem with that. It’s the truth.

superdave, Khan and luftmensch repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New York Post used it to slam MLS and MLS haters picked it up and ran with it on Twitter.

Chesco United repped this.
  15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm really hoping the SEC has 0 teams in the playoffs, given they simply don't deserve a spot.

The ENTIRE SEC had only two quality wins over non-conference opponents this year: Missouri at home beating K-State by 3 and Mississippi State at home beating Arizona by 7. That's it for the entire conference. The other wins against teams in the "Power 5" conferences were all middle (eg Georgia Tech and Cal, both 6-6) to bottom teams (eg Virginia and Stanford).

Given Alabama lost to Texas, Texas should be given the 4th spot if Florida State and Michigan both win.

superdave repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Don't be silly. Even a decade from now, we will all remember where we were when FC Cincinnati lost to some other Ohio franchise.

ML& S is very excite! :notworthy:

Khan repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad he was honest, no need to bullshit about the fact that he’s playing at a much lower level now. Anybody who isn’t delusional knows that.

Khan repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What has the SEC done in the past to make you hope they miss out this season? You have a Husky in the fight?

Everybody who follows cfb knows the SEC beats up on itself every year. Whoever comes out of there is likely better prepared than anyone else in cfb, by virtue of playing an SEC schedule. If it sounds like circular logic to you, that's because it is. What's not circular is the path the CFB trophy has taken for all but four of the last 17 seasons. Twice by honorary SEC programs that happened to choose bball conferences (Clemson, 2016, 2018 and FSU, 2013) and only once above the Mason-Dixon (tOSU, 2014)

Washington's TEAM wants Alabama or Georgia to be there, you best believe that.

This is the funniest post you've ever submitted. Florida State's starting QB is out for the season. They have no business in this playoff.

Even in a down season for the SEC, nobody with a vote and a brain is going to leave an SEC champion out of a college football playoff. Be glad there probably won't be two. Blame the programs who don't act like they want to compete, and that includes USC, who I cheer for more than the rest. My guess is that Texas will do even better than you'd like and take the 3rd spot. Bama will probably end up 4th.

The SEC doesn't need to play anyone of note outside the conference. It is rightly judged by the level of talent and play that it alone can offer. People who do more than look at stats know Bama doesn't need to schedule top tier ooc opposition because they see top teams every other week in the SEC. OTOH, the paper tigers Michigan and Washington played wouldn't beat Kentucky most years.

20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I enjoy it when some (snicker) "general studies" major or (snicker) "recreational studies" major from an SEC team has a career-ender. I especially enjoy how those SEC (snicker) "schools" and (snicker) boosters take care of that kid, once he can no longer play pointyball for them.

We all get to see the dawn of a mall security guards career. Or car salesman's career. Or small town cop's career. Or local drunk's career.

21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Oh, there are quite a few who get deeply insulted and hurt if you don't fall all over yourself to fete the glory of the MLS ponzi scheme/pump-and-dump.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just the SEC? Okay.

23. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Good point on your part.

I like it, irrespective of conference. I just like it more because of the inferior education standards down south, coupled with the fact that SEC players have been getting paid for decades. Its a delicious form of schadenfreude.

Well that, and the fact that college sports suck; the NBA and NFL should have their own reserve leagues, TBH.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    As a fan of pointyball, the NFL has been largely blah this year with tons of penalties ruining the flow. and I've yet to see something like this:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA