Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of things. First, IIRC, I think the AP notes anybody in their articles who is an elected official by their political party. Both Ensler and Wilson are elected officials. Still, the way Wilson is noted is really weird, and really bad.

As for the way it was posted, it seems to be something with the way the NFL's autocontent is posted. On the AP website, the name of the author is listed.
    https://apnews.com/article/nfl-raid...dui-sentence-83f2ae13b0b52427900745b59637b058

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Argentina winger did some embleshing and so to the Aussie scrum half the other day. Is seems to be creeping in amongst the wings and halfbacks as one would expect. I cant see an 8 or lower number doing it.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Give him time. He just worked a miracle taking a 1 win team to 3-0. Only been done 4 or five times before.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It hasn't really been part of the culture of the game since the shame of '78!

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As someone who usually wore the #3 shirt, but at various times wore all of them up to and including #5, I endorse this message.

You might want to see this, Deadtigers. . . here's a guy giving forwards a bad name.

MattR, Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When O.J. Simpson went on trial, I didn't watch it. I didn't need to- the result was something that was going to happen every day- a rich man was going to be acquitted or a guilty man was going to be convicted. No, I tuned in at the verdict to hear what Whites who had seen those two outcomes all their lives were gonna say if a rich Black man went free. I was not disappointed.

Likewise, IMO it's not about Coach Sanders. lol, I haven't watched any Colorado games. What I've done was watch Whites to see how long it would be before one of them decided to opine about how they think he should conduct himself based on their Western European White concept of "arrogance" or "flashiness" (translation: that boy is uppity), things like "bandwagon". I was not disappointed.

If these twangs are that triggered by a gold necklace and a folksy sales pitch, maybe they need to find something else to follow. The mirror is there for Whites who can't wait for Colorado to lose to question everything they've been taught by their equally White role models, but they never do.

They. Never. Do.

And you'll notice that neither you nor I was the first person to bring him up.

Deadtigers and Val1 repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, and the hysteria over the whole Anointing thing- thin White mouths all puckered up like lemons and vinegar... If the Buffs go .500 (that's my reasonable expectation) this season and get better next year, Trump (or the GOP nom whoever it is) may benefit from all the hurt fee-fees on BigSoccer's Fraternity Row...

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I have the Buffs covering today. Getting 21 which seems too much. Will report back later

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There's probably a middle ground between instant coaching sainthood and thinking he's just a gimmick coach beating others to the punch with NILs & transfer portal. Might take 2-3 years of proving it in Power 5.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

As I said before, titles aside, the Mexican clubs have been surprisingly competitive in South American tournaments. Head to head has been quite even. Their record against Argentine clubs since 1998 is 31 wins, 30 loses and 25 draws. Against Brazilians is a bit worse but still respectable, at 34 wins, 39 loses and 14 draws. (Including all their matches at official Conmebol tournaments and the Club World Cup).

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The rugby culture in Argentina is very different from the fútbol culture. In rugby, diving or embellishing is strongly frowned upon. That may be changing with the new generation but I doubt it. I would think his teammates, if they felt he was embellishing, probably gave him a hard time over it.

In fútbol on the other hand, it's hypocritical. While diving or embellishing is strongly criticized when opponents do it, in your own team you are considered an idiot if you don't do it when (in your teammates view) the situation warrants it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That straw man is screaming for you to quit beating him. This isn't about anything but your privilege. Everything is in the post you didn't quote.

The Colorado program has turned a corner from last year, their coach is a man of color who does not conduct himself like Tony Dungy, and for some reason the combo bothered you enough to comment on it when no one else had done.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, do you really look for the negative.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're usually more long-winded than this. And you're usually more considerate.

Do you have anything of value to offer on the post itself (all is what I said it was), or is this your day to one-line dismiss a topic that very clearly deserves more scrutiny than you're willing or able to give it?

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    do your views towards Whites deserve more scrutiny though? is anyone here going to change your mind about Whites, really?

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah. didn't think so.
    Enjoy the deflection, and congrats on the multi pronged attack

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I just think you've made up your mind about Whites and it's not a flattering view. I can't fault you for that, you have your reasons. but I think they're deeply held views and you're unlikely to shift, so what's the point of scrutinizing this?

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This isn't the topic of scrutiny. I know how much fun it must be for you to come here and twist my worda to suit your agenda, but that's not what my post was about.

It's about scrutinizing the tendencies of Whites to make judgemental calls about Black people who seem not to fit into a narrow and subservient role.

I wish you were willing to understand.

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    isn't generalizing about people fun!

Sounders78 repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol! It's necessary for my survival. Be glad you don't have to.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    How much Deion paying you?

Despite your preconceived notions, I, a northeasterner, has followed CFB (and CBB) my entire life. Deion has changed the Power 5 landscape super fast and as always he's entertaining. Beyond that the book still needs to be written. I'm of the wait & see approach and you want him on the Mt Rushmore of CFB coaches. Or the Mt Rushmore of pissing off Wypipo..not sure :thumbsdown:

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're still killing strawmen.

Coach Sanders is (yet) a(nother) view into how the privileged can behave when their Western European ideals about both coaching and religion have been challenged. Shit, not even challenged- just one guy out there who's missing a couple toes and has a way with recruits. You people are so bent out of shape about a guy going 3-1 at a mid-tier Pac-12 program, so emotionally wrecked that you have to lie and say I want to put him on some mountain.

I didn't bring him up, Joisey- you did.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanders is making a positive impact to college football and all you can say is how White people wiil go after him. I've been in this town for about a week, and his impact is obvious.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #7250 Sounders78, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023

Even if it did require OT to beat a traditionally mid-table Mountain West team last week! ;) :whistling:

And for the record, I'm all for the political statements he is making (intentionally or unintentionally). This comment was simply heckling Colorado as a team that is probably overrated.

Deadtigers repped this.