Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was basically my progression, started following the national team game in my 20’s, then in my 30’s dove into club ball. Discovering this site kicked it into high gear, along with streaming (including MLS Live back when that was a thing).

Then also my kid grew up on it, both playing and watching, and at this point he’s more into it than me. When he’s away at college most of our text convos revolve around soccer.

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You must be quite the catch!

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How do you infer this from his post? Even ugly and unwantable people are entitled to their aesthetic standards, however strange they may seem to you or me. If he were 4'11", a lot of women would be averse to dating him. I don't think they're wrong or right, and the balance of power between the genders would not influence my opinion.

I get that women will sometimes prefer a guy who's x" taller than she, but I never could figure out why women wanted to be tall themselves. Is it a clothing thing?

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Todd Marinovich's dad is the kind of guy who'd marry a big woman so his kid would be a big athlete. Can't wrap my brain around that mentality.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am only asking for 500 and still no bids

BocaFan repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can get red cards in Rugby?

I didn't know that

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moving on up!

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Yes, yellow and red cards. What’s interesting is that a yellow gets you sin binned for 10 minutes and during that time the offense can be reviewed- at the referee’s request I believe - to see whether a red is warranted. That’s what happened to this Namibia player and also the England player who was red carded against Argentina.

And also the referee is miked so you hear everything they are saying during the game to the players and to/from the replay officials. Given some of the bullshit VAR decisions in the Premier League this season, I would love for this to be done in football.

russ, The Jitty Slitter, BocaFan and 3 others repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I remember they had Jon Bon Jovi on one time and he talked about how hard the second album was. He mentioned how you know they were a garage band and teenagers and how they pour their blood sweat and tears into that first album that took like 15 years of their life to make. And then a year later the album company says I need you to do it again. And he is and he is like we're in the studio trying to figure out how we did that energy back up again because of all we put into the first album.

I always keep that in mind when I hear an artist second album and I think to myself that it wasn't as great as the first.

russ, luftmensch and soccernutter repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit different, which still seems weird since we grew in neighboring towns about the same time.
    I remember Spain 82, probably a few highlights. But I knew Pele, and the NASL more, and remember watching NASL on ESPN (I think it was ESPN). The Aztecs folded before I could get in a match. Then there were the highlights of Mexico 1986, and probably the final. But my seminal moment for watching soccer (TV or in person) was the 1989 FA Cup final. And by the time it got to Italy 1990, I was interested in which player played for which club team.

xtomx and luftmensch repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am going to get in on this Deion thing. Joel Klatt, Colorado alum and fox college football analyst has said a some key stuff.

1) Prime will never coach pros. He believes his ministry is coaching youth and he is meant to be in college football and advise these young men at this point in their lives

2) He spoke with the CU defensive coordinator who was the DC at Bama before Saban decided to revamp after no title in a couple of seasons. He said Prime and Saban are 98 percent the same. The standards he demands of players, coaches and even trainers are as high as Saban. The 2 percent is the marketing and stuff you see and hear on TV and social media.

3) Prime and the coaches only sat down with like 20 players and told them it wasnt gonna work out here and let's help you get to a program you will fit in at. The rest left of their own accord probably after seeing the group that got talked to.

My friend who is a Colorado alum mentioned that Colorado doesn't have a huge booster influence so they gave Prime free reign. Most SEC schools have strong booster that want tons of say and that is why Prime may stay longer. Someone is gonna have to give him the job and get out the way.

Pizza man, you can hate the cowboys and his antics as a player but he is a damn fine coach.

russ, soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #7162 BocaFan, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Harder not to get chunky as the years pass when you're under 5 feet. From a guy's POV you are making a huge investment into a future bowling ball

13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah professional soccer just wasn’t on the radar in Temple City outside of some families with more recent immigrants. And often those were the best coaches in AYSO, like one guy who ran the local soccer camp, or another of Italian descent who I played for a few times, and his teams were always called TC United. I was on a team of his that played a tournament in Colorado Springs the summer of ‘86, and his son and some of the other more savvy guys were talking about the World Cup and Maradona and I was clueless.

And that’s also down to my family, my dad watched a lot of sports but soccer wasn’t on his radar. During the brief period indoor was popular in the 80’s we went to a couple Lazers games, and to one of the ‘84 Olympic matches, but that was it for me until the ‘94 World Cup.

So here’s something I find hilarious now, in AYSO we always had yearbooks that showed all the teams for each year, and several times there was a team a few years above me called Flamengo, which totally mystified me. Like why would there be a boys team named after flamingos, and why did they spell it wrong and in singular form?!? At some point in adulthood after learning more about the global game it dawned on me.

roby and soccernutter repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because tall people can see over others. It's not about women/men.

Chesco United repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Can't find the original quote, who we talking about.

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Call me Pete Weber then.

russ, Auriaprottu, BocaFan and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Crouch, a tall and homely English soccer player, married a model, Abbey Clancy. Wikipedia says she's 5'9" which is pretty tall for a chick - TitoTata said she was 4'11" so, you know, both sides have a point, I guess we'll split the difference and say she's 5'4". Is that how this works?

Here's a picture of the two of them.

[​IMG]

Pønch, rslfanboy and luftmensch repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Rugby is light years ahead with how the video ref works

soccernutter, russ, BocaFan and 2 others repped this.
  19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the minimal amount of rugby I've seen, it seems like they don't simulate or dive to exaggerate the impact of contact. This is based on watching some in the Olympics a couple of years ago, and maybe the last time the US was in the Rugby World Cup. It seemed like the full contact nature and the lack of protection (compared to American pointyball) meant that the players had to respect each other and the game or else injuries would be way more likely. In one of the US world cup games, an American got a red card, and I was like, what did he do that isn't happening on every other play, but whatever he did was identified as dangerous whereas the rest of the tackles weren't intentionally dangerous, or something, Anyways, that's my totally amateur opinion from watching a few hours of the sport - red cards are reserved for actual dangerous play and they're rare because the players generally don't want to injure each other, and diving was absolutely not a thing that I saw.

luftmensch, Dr. Wankler and Deadtigers repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes there is no diving. The odd time it has happened has been regarded as a major scandal. In fact it is only recently that anyone even celebrates scoring in an overt fashion. Back in the day the usual behaviour was to be very stoic and get a pat on the back from your team mates!

With red cards than main issue has been with head contact where they are really trying to cut down on the early onset dementia crisis. Many red cards are for unintentional high shots.

21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Thx. I meant to respond to deadtigers, but I really am losing the will to carry on conversations like this. I’ll continue to snark and occasionally go on a rant, but I am tired of engaging in fruitless convo futilely pointing out casual misogyny that willfully refuses introspection.

soccernutter, luftmensch, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. I don't spend any time on Parler/Gab/etc. so I'm perfectly willing to believe there are other places that are plenty worse. But it's often hard to wrap my mind around how much misogyny goes on here given how progressive the commentariat here likes to think of itself.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Mike03 repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much the only football I follow is the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Half the time I end up recording the game and fast forwarding through it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Right - his actual character arc was as a true anti-hero because of his throw back archetype of a tall 9 against the big stars of the time - not that he was especially uglier than any of the others. Rooney and co are hardly water colours and no one says anything about them having model girlfriends.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup. Pre-VAR I was fine with fans in the stadium not getting to see replays of controversial or close calls. But if the ref and his assistant get to change on-field decisions based on replays, then fans in attendance should see them too on the big screen (if the stadium has one).

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.