Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hate fairweather fans:

1704850333275685212 is not a valid tweet id

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think you mean 70s Habs and 80s Oilers. :coffee:

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    WTF? Yet we can't call them "pathetic" for choosing to spend their money and time this way? :rolleyes:

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Why sacrifice your FB "freedom" :D for someone you don't know or who gives a shit about you?

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Didn't know I'd get caught

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The range in ticket prices on TicketMaster for Inter Miami's next game is insane. I guess some haven't heard that Messi will miss the match. You have prices ranging from $50 to $1000 for similar seats/seats in the same section. I wonder how many people are buying the $1000 seats before checking the news on Messi. :laugh:

Deadtigers, celito and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nicephoras? :D

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    All praise St. Deion de Fort Myers!

Deion Sanders has built Colorado football into a national brand but the Buffaloes' success won't be sustainable without him, according to the first-year head coach. Sanders says he has no intentions of leaving Boulder but acknowledged that many high school recruits commit to coaches rather than schools in a recent interview.

"A multitude of kids choose the coach, especially when it's a prominent coach that has had success in their careers," Sanders said in an interview with Taylor Rooks. "I had a parent ask me the other day, 'If you left, do you think what you created is sustainable? I said, 'No. It ain't. I'm not going to lie to you. God anointed me for this time, this season, this era and this moment. He anointed me to coach your son and his son and his son. That's what God has anointed me to do. This is my calling.'"

https://247sports.com/longformartic...-anointed-me-for-this-time-216562593/#2248135

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Muscle Fatigue" will be the name of the future book on how the whole Messi-in-MLS experiment crashed & burned.

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and BocaFan repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As it applies to Colorado, he's right.

I don't think he was anointed or anything, but he's the best thing to happen to that school and program since they contended for a natty BITD

He takes his first regular season L as a head coach Saturday, which will get the white sheet crowd all riled up, but he'll continue to imprive that team.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I like Deion but he does go overboard with this savior stuff. He basically kicked half the team outta Boulder for his vanity project starring his kids.

Chesco United and Val1 repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

If you think it's a vanity project, or that his sons are starting over better players, you're not particularly different from the ones who don't like him. The 2022 Buffs were a broken program. I wouldn't want half their guys, either. Probably mindlocked on losing.

every team has players who would not suit up for a team with a Black head coach. Neither of us knows how many of them there are, but they're out there And not all of them are White. Figure those into your cut numbers the best way you can.

You'd have done better to confine your criticism to the savior part. As a Catholic, you know more about religion that you do about college football

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Happened sooner than even I thought

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I just want to see the same unshakeable faith in his God-given magical coaching abilities when they get smoked by the best QB in 'Merica, Caleb Williams from USC

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why would his faith waver?

Lacking any way to gloat over a loss in a realistic matchup, every peckerwood in America has decided to call it a failure if a team that was 1-11 last season doesn't beat a top ten team with a Heisman-holding QB. That's how y'all satisfy yourselves.

I see you, Pizza. That I didn't earlier is my own fault.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Very sensitive over a coach who doesn't give one F about you or me or anyone who can't help him get Ws. Jeez, are you the president of the Neon Deion Fanclub Alabama?

I know you're a USC fan so next week will be hard for you.

17. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the thing about soccer compared to most other sports is that you can follow multiple leagues plus the international game year round and not run out of things to watch. Reminds me of a conversation my son told me he had in high school, where he and a couple friends were talking soccer and another guy who only followed the big American sports commented on how crazy it was how they had in depth knowledge of all these different countries’ leagues, he just couldn’t relate when here it’s just one pro league for each sport.

And to me that’s one thing that makes soccer so much more compelling, you’ve got multiple levels of club competition both within and between leagues with players moving around between them, plus the international game which is much more prominent a feature than most other sports.

And then also the gameplay itself is something I find much more appealing. I grew up watching the big three American sports, but every time I try now it just feels bogged down in stoppages and commercials. Gimme a free-flowing game with one long break in the middle that’s over in under 2 hours any day.

Long story short there are only so many hours of my life I can or want to devote to being a sports spectator, so I focus on the one that brings me the most enjoyment.

ToMhIlL, soccernutter, BocaFan and 2 others repped this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the age of transfer portals, I think he's just being honest about what the landscape of CFB looks like now.

19. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love the Golazo! show.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think a lot of American soccer fans go thru the growth period based on what they could see regularly on TV... starts out World Cup > NT friendlies > club football. Eventually, we get to Club football > NT whatever.

Yep. I grew up with gridiron, where you went to the fridge and refreshed your ice or grabbed some food after fourth down, or did something that took only a few minutes, pump up a bike tire, whatever. Sadly, it almost conditions you to have a short attention span.

Agreed.

BocaFan, bigredfutbol and luftmensch repped this.
  21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Amen.

I rarely if ever watch the big three sports now. The only things I'll watch include soccer, Aussie football, rugby and the occasional cricket (but that's only if nothing else is on and the weather is crap).

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Namibia are going to do well to keep this under 100 points. France leading 75-0 after 65 minutes and Namibia are playing a man down after a red card.

Deadtigers and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I agree. He's way ahead of the curve. Shadur's driving a Maybach with no NCAA chodes hounding him. He'll actually hasten all this horse crap "amateurism" out of CFB (and CBB) and make it a true minor league. And the yoots can take some courses if they feel like.

bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    96-0 final score. So well done Namibia in saving the century!

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and BocaFan repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There's always the DVR. You can comfortably watch an entire NFL match in two hours w/o even stressing about FF'ing between plays. I only FF through commercials, halftime, injuries.