Soccer, Sports and Politics - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 12, 2024.

1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hillbilly are to rednecks as champagne is to sparkling wine. The difference is the region where it’s grown.

Hillbillies overwhelmingly are perceived as from Appalachia. They are poor mountaineers barely kept their families fed. Only those with great luck at missed small game shots can escape it.

Or if you’re old as ******** like me, another analogy is Jane Curtin as Pat Nixon explaining the difference between chinks and gooks. A chink is always a gook, but a gook isn’t necessarily a chink.

If that clip is on the internet anywhere I couldn’t find it in two minutes. Sorry.

roadkit, BocaFan, Chesco United and 3 others repped this.
  2. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m reminded of an old P&CE inside joke…pervasive Appalachian influence. Something like that. Might have been @Kazuma . Anyway, someone here was talking about being questioned by cops after witnessing something. The poster came up with a couple of descriptions that prompted the officers to reply that they couldn’t write that in a report. So on the third try our poster used the phrase pervasive Appalachian influence.

rslfanboy, Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Orville can really fly!

4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Yup....lived in town like yours for 45 yrs. Population 1300+/- in 50 sq miles with no traffic lights, small Gen Store 5 miles away and no gas station...gas15 mi away in next town. Wify loved driving our 70's 3/4 ton Crew Cab 25 miles over the mtn. to the "big" city" for groceries. "The Best Years Of Our Lives!" :coffee:

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Lake Wobegon?

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not sure that's the left, as a group. People from San Fran don't talk like a Soprano while cracking jokes about southern accents or cuisine. Nor do the ones from Los Angeles or NY. It's basically New Jersey and the uncultured parts of Boston. That whole Bosstones thing, deliver me. They all need to quit frontin', go back to their Harvard or Amherst dorms and STFU.

I thought I'd gone low enough by saying "under 20K" that nobody here would have been on the list, so to speak.

I do read some of the self-important posts on this page and some of the derogatory ones as well, and from what I can read about the rest of their lives, they weren't the sort of people I'd want to sit in a classroom with anyway.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D:D:D:D:):):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    ...and do what with the information, Batman? Force socialized medicine, sex education, DEI curricula, over the counter weed, clean air and water legislation, and safe, legal abortions on the trembling helpless people of Gotham? It's such a horrible fate I could hardly bring myself to type those words...

This is part of why your posts outside the Twitter thread are seen more as comedy than a cry for help (it's close)

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember that, too. I don’t think it was Kazuma. I think it was somebody, not me, who had lived in Chicago and was helping police officers in the Uptown neighborhood figure out an apt way to describe suspects on the paperwork they would have to fill out that night, since they weren’t allowed, obviously, to write “hillbillies” on the report.

superdave and Chesco United repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Club teams have (and have the right) to reserve municipal pitches just like school teams do. If the club team has reserved the pitch, it doesn't make any difference what color they were.

The other thing here is, you may as well get used to debating nonstories, 'cause they're not going away. The country you thought you lived in never existed. Kick your shoes off. It's time to invent some shit about them.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greg Harris pitched for the Red Sox in the late 80s and he could pitch with both arms. He never actually did it in a game, but he'd throw lefty in the bullpen and by all accounts, he had decent stuff. He also had one of those reversible gloves.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's check the data.
    1 poster posted the story.
    A second poster posted twice about it (in any context)
    A third poster posted twice about it (in any context).
    And the second and third posters were talking to each other.
    So, 5 total posts. And of those 5 total posts, there were 3 reps/likes.

And a fourth poster posted that it was likely not a valid story. That single post got more than twice the reps/likes than the prior 5 posts combined.

Seems you have a strong argument for a Trump of the left.

Sounders78 repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, why are you taking a NYPost story as a legit story? They love race bating.

13. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Pat Venditte is the only MLB pitcher who pitched with both hands so far. In a minor league game, before he made it to the majors he went up against a switch hitter where the two went back and forth on which arm/side of the plate they would face each other. That event resulted in the Pat Venditte rule where the pitcher had to declare which arm they would throw with and not change based on which side the batter was hitting from.

Deadtigers and superdave repped this.
  14. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this particular story tracks with his prejudices. (If this is a sincere question, that’s the answer.)

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It doesn't matter what race the people involved are, on either side. Recent immigrants need to not do this shit.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Especially since on the next page there is an article containing a detailed, evidence-based analysis showing that, on average, an immigrant is less likely to commit crimes than the average American.

I kid, of course. :rolleyes:

Deadtigers and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is covering this except right wing media. Not even FoxNews has this. This has all the signs of racism.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1143 bigredfutbol, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    So...the migrants left once the club team was able to show a permit:

“When you show up with two teams in uniform, a ref and two coaches, usually nobody is asking to see your permit,” said Johansson.

By the time Johansson’s assistant was able to forward a copy of the Kickers’ permit, the game had been delayed 30 minutes and the teams didn’t feel safe.

“Even when the game is over, you don’t know if they’re waiting for you, so even if the cops kicked them out, it may not be over. So we just all agreed, this is too dangerous,” Johansson said.

No evidence given that their feeling of not being safe was justified by anything the migrant players said or did. Just an assumption accepted at face value.

Their game got delayed by 30 minutes because they showed up at a very busy, crowded field complex without a permit.

This is xenophobic, racist clickbait.

Auriaprottu, Deadtigers, Mike03 and 4 others repped this.
  19. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Inter clinch their 20th scudetto while playing AC Milan as the "away team". Scuffle just broke out 3 minutes before the final whistle that led to 2 red cards (one per team). A third red was shown a couple minutes later after an elbow from an AC Milan player.

A nightmare scenario for AC. :coffee:

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Way to go, Juice

How OJ Simpson became the star witness in a pivotal 1970 trial over helmet safety – and set back CTE research for decades

In March 1970, OJ Simpson served as a witness in a landmark court case brought by the family of a paralyzed football player against a major helmet maker. His adroit performance on the stand, experts say, helped the NFL shrug off the dangers of CTE for decades.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/22/busin...layer-we-would-have-won-if-o-j-didnt-testify/

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ButT TheYy DiDnT FeElZz SaAaFe! bRoWn PeOpLe!!!!!

bigredfutbol and Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thanks for this info. My ADHD had me stop reading after a couple of sentences and skimming from them on.

russ, bigredfutbol and soccernutter repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Y'all read the article?

There's no need to read it at all, unless you think the event did not take place.

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Weekend at VARnyes

Dr. Wankler repped this.