Soccer, Sports and Politics - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 12, 2024.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

luftmensch, Auriaprottu and bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Two goals, one a great individual display, the other awesome team build up:

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballet on grass.

That's beautiful.

4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Always Arsenal's problem post 2004. Trying to pass it into the net.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    superdave, Mike03, roby and 2 others repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not a problem this season.

yossarian repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Emmitt Smith left 'utterly disgusted' after alma mater University of Florida eliminates DEI department (msn.com)

Subtitled: Black man attends regional PWI, gleefully talks cash shit about said PWI's greatness for 3.5 decades and then suddenly sees them accurately when they finally do something even he knows is wrong

Hey, Emmitt... Florida's band played the first ten notes of Dixie every damn time your ass crossed the goal line. It is (or was, as of EA Sports' NCAA 2008) literally in their fight song. Were you deaf between 1987 and 1989, or did you decide to ignore it because you were receiving the royal treatment given to a top SEC ballcarrier?

Late to the party, my guy, and not fashionably so.

The USC Trojans don't play Dixie when (if) they score a TD. You might have been able to help them beat Notre Dame in 1988 when the Irish last won a natty. But you decided to stay close to home. That's on you. But did you think all was rosy in Gainesville, or was it that you hadn't been more than 100 miles from Pensacola except to visit an SEC athletic facility and had no ideas what kind of college life you could have had in a state that was significantly less ass-backward than Florida was even before this rubber boots- wearing clownsuit became governor? Do you think your state's residents just suddenly became conservative, or have you realized that they were just waiting for a Messiah to guide them?

Sounders78 repped this.
  8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We will see if this is the year. They need to find their steel when they play a must win. That is the other issue since '04.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #285 dapip, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    soccernutter repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I just saw this so it must've popped up because of Emmitt:

Louisiana State University’s Tigers are named after a company of homegrown Confederates famous for their audacious attacks at First Manassas. College bands kept playing “Dixie” for more than a century after Fort Sumter; the University of Mississippi (where the football team is named, with no attempt at subtlety, the Rebels) clung to the battle flag and “Dixie” until well into the twenty-first century. The University of Florida played Penn State in the 1962 Gator Bowl, just a year after the Nittany Lions’ star defensive lineman, future Hall of Famer Dave Robinson, had broken the bowl’s color barrier; the Gators played with a Confederate battle flag patch on their helmets to show that despite Appomattox, the South had not really surrendered.

ymy1mysd6ao91.jpg

fatbastard, Mike03 and Sounders78 repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    :D

luftmensch, BocaFan and dapip repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dutch Monitor will find you and hunt you down.

14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Which one? :unsure:

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #290 Auriaprottu, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    ??
    That was 1962.

No Eastern PWI program wanted Black athletes in 1962, not even Dave Robinson. I'd be surprised if USC wanted them. Check to see who his road roommate was* and who his potential GFs were. That will tell you how welcome he was. The Northeastern schools just tolerated them, which is worse than not accepting them at all. Emmitt played in the late 80s and was supposed to recognize the opening strains of Dixie at the end of his school's fight song**. That he apparently did not speaks volumes about his upbringing, if there was any (some children end up rearing themselves morally, because the parents have often been down thoo so much that they don't even want to discuss it with their kids on a daily basis. and it leaves those children vulnerable to all sorts of attacks and being used like Emmitt was at UF. Emmitt's folks may have been that kind).

My parents would never have allowed me to enroll at any PWI without a clear understanding of what I was there for, who I was to avoid to keep from becoming a Scottsboro Boy, that I was to observe the lives and treatment of the students who looked like me but were not athletes, and that I was never to cheerlead for the school once I left if I noticed signs of conservatism within the environment. It would be a stepping stone to the NFL and nothing more. Poor Emmitt actually thought he was a Gator- he didn't realize he was just passing thru and nothing was gonna change while he was there..

* Northeastern teams who wanted to appear not so conservative often recruited even numbers of Black players so Kyle wouldn't have to suffer a Black roommate- a tradition continued into the NFL until at least the mid-60s if not longer

** I hadn't heard it until I played with Florida for a game when I first bought NCAA in 2000 or so. I'm not that much older than Emmitt, but I heard it right away.

Sounders78 repped this.
  16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a 115 reasons why this may well still not be the year. And the "steel" thing is an overblown lazy narrative. Following 2004, you had a slow but steady dismantling of the old guard without the same level of quality being added because---quite simply---we didn't have the money. Additionally, you had Abramovitch pumping money into a rival like never before. The only year after 2004 that we arguably bottled anything was 2016, when all the big teams faltered and we had beaten Leicester twice but couldn't score goals down the stretch to overtake them.

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    RUT_Robeson_TW.jpg

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not photos. His roommate. His dating pool.

For reference yet again

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fake.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Not last season where you lads had no fight against City at home and lost other games with like 8 to go?

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you've now moved the goal posts from the entirety of post 2004 to just last season?

No fight at home? We had the better possession, field tilt, and shots (barely) in that February match but got punked by two late goals. How is that not having "fight"? And this is freaking City we're talking about.

As for the run in, so after losing Saliba and Tomiyasu---two of our best defenders---in the same match in early March, which in turn also had the knock-on effect of running Ben White into the ground is that what you're referring to as not having fight? Or only getting Partey back late when he wasn't really fit enough to be playing? GTFOH.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Google it. He was the only AA at Rutgers at the time, accomplished student & athlete, married a fellow AA law school student but also philandered around in Europe. Was labeled a "commie" with all the heat that brought mid 20th century. Did it all during Jim Crow too. His biographer noted upon his death in the 70s

the "white [American] press ... ignored the continuing inability of white America to tolerate a black maverick who refused to bend, ... downplayed the racist component central to his persecution" [during his life, as they] "gingerly" [paid him] "respect and tipped their hat to him as a 'great American'," while the black American press, "which had never, overall, been as hostile to Robeson" [as the white American press had,] opined that his life " '... would always be a challenge to white and Black America.'"

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Tomiyasu one of Arsenal's best defenders? Come on - he was/is a bench player. Of course, a deep bench is important, but I don't buy the fatigue excuse in this case because Arsenal were playing just 1 match per week during the stretch run (eliminated from Europe and FA Cup early on).

Partey is a limited footballer. So yeah, if they were playing him when he wasn't 100% fit he must have been beyond rubbish. Glad they got a world class MFer in Rice. That's probably the biggest single difference last season to this season. Partey coming on for the final 20 minutes to protect a 6-goal lead encompasses all the type of situations that I want to see him on the field in the next 3 months. But anyway... so, its more difficult to envision Arsenal leaking a bunch of goals down the stretch this season like they did last season. The big question is, are they going to continue banging in the goals?

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of the biggest differences to Arsenal's attack was the addition of Jesus. He may not bang in the goals, but he does have that threat, which opens up avenues for other players.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Perhaps, though they already had Jesus last season. Personally, I'm not a big fan. Glad to see Havertz filling-in for him lately and hope that continues.