Soccer Specific Stadiums

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, May 12, 2012.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MLSsoccer.com has an article about the new stadium opening today which states it is the 13th soccer specific stadium in the league.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    1. Sporting Kansas City have Livestrong Park
    2. New York Red Bulls have Red Bull Arena
    3. Chicago Fire have Toyota Park
    4. Houston Dynamo have BBVA Compass Stadium
    5. Columbus Crew have Crew Stadium
    6. Philadelphia Union have PPL Park
    7. Toronto FC have BMO Field

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    8. Real Salt Lake have Rio Tinto Stadium
    9. Vancouver Whitecaps FC have BC Place
    10. Colorado Rapids have Dick's Sporting Goods Park
    11. FC Dallas have FC Dallas Stadium
    12. Los Angeles Galaxy have Home Depot Center
    13. Club Deportivo Chivas USA have Home Depot Center
    14. Portland Timbers have Jeld-Wen Stadium

WE KNOW:
    San Jose Earthquakes are building a stadium for 2013 I think
    Montreal Impact move into Saputo Stadium next month
    MLS 20th Club will need a stadium commitment before being awarded
    So that leaves
    New England Revolution
    DC United
    Seattle Sounders FC

Now, we all know Seattle will never build a SSS, and really don't need to with their attendance. New England made some overtures towards it a few years back, but don't really see Kraft doing it. DC has been trying forever, and Steven Goff makes it sound like there might be something on the horizon with a potential new ownership partner.

So within the next five years, we could have a 20 team league with every club outside of Seattle and New England (and probably DC realistically) in their own homes.

Anybody predict this in the dark days of 2001, when many were looking at 2004 as a potential end of Major League Soccer?

It's really incredible how far this league has come in 17 seasons. Today is truly a day to celebrate (and hopefully with DC beating Houston )

CrewFan1000 repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you consider BC Place a SSS? It is just as multi-use as CenturyLink and Gillette.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the key is less "Soccer-Specific" Stadiums and more "Soccer-Controlled" Stadiums. After next month I believe that only San Jose and DC will be in stadiums where they are not either the primary tenant or one of their owners owns/operates the stadium. That gives MLS a huge degree of flexibility and revenue control.

4. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it's not about who owns/controls the stadium. It's about how the stadium is built/designed. It would be best if the seats are well arranged to maximize the environment/enjoyment of the fans. Did the architects considered the possibility of how big the tifo and flags can be?
    Another thing, for example, is the bathroom situation in CLink. In a soccer match, you are singing, chanting, and DRINKING for 45+ mins. After this, you only have 15- mins to go to the restroom. Did the architect considered how many (per gender) will go to the restroom in such short amount of time? Of course, you don't have a problem this big in an NFL match.

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who controls the revenue is the most important thing. The logistical issues can be an inconvenience but at the end of the day the league needs to get to profitability. All this other stuff can come later.

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we just call them soccer stadiums? The "specific" term is redundant.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    In my mind the term 'specific' is an important term in that it means its the only sport being played there or far and away the predominant tenant. It signals that the revenue from soccer only supports the stadium without alot of other tenants requireing turf, ripping up the field or having football lines on the field for a month and a half. With that said Houston's stadium is not soccer specific because Texas Southern U. will be ripping it up with football lines later in the season. Can't wait for the uproar then.

8. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    ?

Houston's is the definition of soccer-specific. And hasn't that issue already been put to bed? From what I've read, the university vs Dynamo thing is going to be a non-issue. I can't remember why though, something about October, or only one game coinciding or whatever. I dunno, but my fears were allayed.

If push ever came to shove, TSU is shit outta luck.

9. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    TSU, a small Division 1-AA Black College who's clearly a sub-tenant at BBVA, will only have 5 home games at BBVA this year. And none of their home dates coincide with a Dynamo match in the same weekend.

If anything, there may be more concerts than football games hosted at BBVA in a calendar year.

10. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post made my head hurt.

SeaFan77, Jasonma and lkgf09 repped this.
  11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides, sharing a SSS with regular football games in the fall isn't exactly untrod territory. You let the grass grow a little longer and mark a simple gridiron for TSU for the Saturday game. Then for the Dynamo game on Sunday, you cut the grass, which takes away the gridiron markings almost completely, and mark the field for soccer.

It's what they do in Frisco, it works well, and I can't imagine that they wouldn't do the same for TSU.

12. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBVA does NOT look like a football stadium. The seats are safety orange for crissakes! It's Dyanamo's stadium through and through. It just happens to have a small college play football too. I don't see this as an issue, especially the way they've scheduled it.

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for the record. BBVA Compass is using a field marking system using water soluble marking. They beleive they can completely erase the football (or soccer) lines within hours. They believe they will never host a soccer game with football lines showing.

14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Heard the same spheel. How would that work for a football game in the rain?

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question. I was wondering myself. Could be pretty fun when all the lines disappear linke disappearing ink. :oops:

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great to hear. I remember the days of MLS teams having to paint yellow soccer markings over the american football markings and the logo's that they put all over the field.

17. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do people say seattle will "never" build an SSS. stadiums get old...

18. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean during NFL season at Gillette stadium? Poor Revs are truly never gonna get a SSS. Kraft is the weight around their neck.

19. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do white lines nowadays...I think. Might depend on the turnover time between Revs and Pats games. Also, it must be noted that with Houston in their own stadium now, yellow lines are now more or less a thing of the past. :cool:

20. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the renovated BC Place is looks amazing, but the B.C lions also play there as full time tenants, as well as host of other events, it's not "soccer specific".

21. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soon the sounders will avg over 50,000 per game at the Link, but, Starfire complex in tukwila just south of Seattle, has a nice indoor training facility, and a cool outdoor stadium with plenty of room to add seats. they play there reserve and sounders fc women games there.

22. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    I dunno about that.

23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starfire has fake turf, right? Like Clink?

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starfire also has FieldTurf, but it isn't the same model as the FieldTurf at the CLink.

25. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the Revs made some noise this spring about hoping to have some sort of stadium announcement this summer.

Who knows?