Soccer Source Top 25 rankings 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Ed-D, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That time again. The European soccer season is upon us and with it, Soccer Source's signature issue, the ranking of top soccer clubs the world over. It's been some time since our last edition of this list, an absence due in no small part to the busy "summer of soccer" involving the U.S. Men's National Team stateside (and in South Africa. And Mexico). Of course, at this (very) early stage of the season, much of this amounts to little more than speculation. Nobody can know for certain how teams will gel with their new signings--especially if there is a new coach at the helm (see Barcelona last season). Of course, that's also most of the fun. Have at it here.

2. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Considering the start of the season, Bayern might be one of the top 25 right now, but since you wrote it as an outlook, I think it's a mistake not to include them. There are a lot of questionmarks around the team, especially about the defense, but the squad is still probably the best in the Bundesliga and while I doubt they'll win the CL this year, it would be a surprise to me if they don't end up in the 2nd round of CL at least. And you did include Shakhtar despite them losing the only important game they played this season.

3. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well so much for posting fewer Top 25 lists! Turns out so many things happened this weekend, most of them flying in the face of our predictions, that we felt an update was in order. Here it is

5. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For goodness sake, only two clubs outside of Europe? Come on, now...

6. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah mate, sorry. The Euro clubs' budgets simply dwarf the other continents' teams. I know it's a team game, but still...

7. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I know at least 4 teams from Brazil that could make that list. All the focus on economic strength is ridiculous, and the reason why this ranking is shit.

8. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "At least four"? Who are they and what have they done to warrant inclusion?

9. gogo89

gogo89 Red Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    2 de Mayo

Yeah why four ?

10. moqool

moqool Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Well your ranking started off pretty nicely until the fourth slot. In fairness to Arsenal, they are a good side but are by no means top four standard. I also dont know how you didnt include Bayern Munich but made no hesitation in having AZ Alkmaar in the top 25. I realize theyre Dutch champions but there are a handful of teams from other countries than could top AZ at any level.

11. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these issues were corrected in the latest update :D

12. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a very busy week in topflight soccer, with Top 25 clubs playing twice, often against each other. Remarkably, there were no major upsets to report, leaving the top 10 very much unchanged. The second tier, however, was all shook up.

Check out the latest Top 25.

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some major upsets in Italy and England had the potential to shake up the Top 10 this week. Did they? A little. Take a look.

15. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T'was a very busy week for the world's top soccer clubs, with a full round of UEFA Champions and Europa league action as well as domestic competitions. Several top 10 clubs lost games and were dropped to the second tier as a result. Who would replace them? Go here to find out.

16. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Why don't you have any Russian club there? I refuse to believe CSKA and/or Rubin Kazan don't deserve a place in it when the list features teams like Twente and Braga.

17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin Kazan made the list a few weeks ago but were dropped when they lost to Kiev. I admit the game against Inter made me take notice again but then they lost at home to Lokomotiv Moscow over the weekend. Don't worry, they're on my radar.

18. worldsoccers

worldsoccers New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Eah Rubin Kazan must be in

19. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or did the internationals break feel a lot longer than two weeks? Anyway, there were several surprises this weekend. How did that affect our rankings? Let's take a look:

20. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a crazy week in European club soccer with the top three clubs all losing key matches. The fourth didn't do much better, drawing a Champions League encounter at home. So who was left to take over the top spot? Or would we forgive one of the top four's transgressions? Read on to find out.

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to November. A week of domestic competition is behind us. This week clubs go back to work in the Champions- and Europa Leagues (as well as the Copa Sudamericana but those clubs do not figure in the Top 25 at this point). Here's where they stand ahead of a crucial week in those competitions.

22. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a lot of action in topflight soccer last week, with a full suite of Champions League, Europa League and domestic competition on tap. After the dust settled, however, the number one team is the same one it's been for three weeks running now. Not that anybody should be surprised by that. There was plenty of movement elsewhere in the top 25 however. Enough for you to want to take a look. Here you go

23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After all the drama surrounding the international games (specifically one hand ball by one Frenchman in overtime of one World Cup qualifier playoff match) it's good to get back to the relative serenity of club football. Who's number one? The same team that's held the position for a month now. But there was significant movement in the lower parts of the table. Take a look.

24. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A very telling weekend in world soccer is behind us. In England, Chelsea passed the latest test thrown its way. In Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona fought each other tooth and nail in a match that was decided in Barca's favor. In Italy, Inter Milan expanded. How did it all reflect in the top 25? Take a look.