Soccer Pubs in Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by Leon_St_Spurs, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Leon_St_Spurs

Leon_St_Spurs New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Phila
    I know that this topic has been touched on before, but I can't seem to find the thread. Does anyone know of anyone good bars that have the Fox Soccer Channel (especially in NE Phila)? Is Wack Jacks a good bar to watch a game?

2. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please list pubs on the Main Line, too.

For that matter, please list anyplace in the area you like to watch soccer. If we get enough replies, I'll see about putting it in order and getting it posted on the PhillySoccer web site for easier reference.

3. Leon_St_Spurs

Leon_St_Spurs New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Phila
    These are the listed bars that have the Fox Soccer Channel:

PA Paddy Rooney's Pub
    Havertown Fox Soccer Channel subscriber, Celtic supporters, Gaelic football
    PA Billy Murphy's Irish Saloonery
    3333 Conrad St.
    Philadelphia Fox Soccer Channel subscriber

PA The Black Sheep

PA The Blarney South
    328 South St

PA Dark Horse
    421 South Second Street
    Philadelphia
    215-928-9307 LIVE English football, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup, and much more including Fox Soccer Channel

PA Manny Brown

PA O'Neal's Irish Pub
    611 S. 3rd St.

PA Sky Asian Bistro

PA Tir Na Nog Irish Bar & Grill
    1600 Arch St
    Philadelphia
    267-514-1700 Fox Soccer Channel, international soccer and rugby, Gaelic games and much more on several large screens including a 7ft projection screen.

PA Wack Jacks
    Wiltits Ave. and Homle Ave.
    Philadelphia Fox Soccer Channel subscriber. Opens 7 a.m.

For more bars go to:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5120122

Does anyone know of any others? Are any of these bars any good?

4. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia

This one has my endorsement and the endorsement of a few others on here as well. We gathered there to watch the US-Mexico game last year and have been there on a few other occasions too.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Depends on what you're looking for. If it's the EPL then go to Fado or Dark Horse, I prefer the Dark Horse but others don't.

6. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, because you actually attend the matches at bars in Philly anymore! :rolleyes:

Fado does show matches and there's not normally a cover (except for Scottish matches, and for Gaelic Games), whereas the DH does have a cover. Both are good places to watch matches, though I think there may be more atmosphere at the DH, but if you just want to watch and don't really care, then I'd say Fado.

Tir Na Nog seems to be ok, I watched the US v Poland match there with two other guys and it wasn't bad. The manager was real accomodating about putting the match on and whatnot.

There's this Portuguese place that everyone sorta whispers about, but no one really knows where it is that normally has the European Championships/other matches and normally has a Spanish feed. Of course, if everyone has heard about it, it must exist right? It does, though I've no idea what in God's name its called, but its at Tabor Rd. and Lawerence, off of 5th Street in Olney. There is/was a bank located across the street from it.

Places in the NE that show soccer? There's a few Brazilian cafes in near Castor & Cottman that seem to show some games, and there's an Italian cafe across from Wilson Middle School on Cottman Ave that I've seen matches on the screen when I drive by. Another place is Cafe Michelangelo on Bustleton Ave, up by Byberry. I've watched quite a lot there (European stuff).

The new Kildare's down @ Headhouse Sq, off 2nd & South was showing FSC last night when I was there, though I can't confirm if they're going to always show soccer, but they at least have the stations.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Damn! Just because I bailed on the bar tonight I get a :rolleyes: instead of a ;) !!

8. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    No, you got it because I can't remember the last time you saw a game here in the area at a bar. Please note I said the area, meaning NYC doesn't count, and hell, seeing as how I saw replays all day on Saturday up there, I've got you beat on that account as well. Its not a dig, just a fact. You've got more important things going on, I believe a wedding and the stuff that goes with it.
    Now, you're more than welcome to go watch next Wednesday's game with me somewhere! :D

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well being as my sugar momma havin ass don't work no mo and I ain't got no school on Wednesdays, I'm down.

10. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    No black and white stripes though!

11. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    You can add New Deck Tavern (34?? Sansom St.) to the list. There's been a game on (EPL, Champions League) most Wednesdays, except during the Olympics when they were showing hockey.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just email me when you got your list together.

13. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I work in the Fort Washington area. Any ideas for good spots to watch the World Cup?

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Knickers in Dresher Plaza? Last time I was there, their TVs looked like they could use an upgrade, though.

16. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone know if the place in Doylestown is any good?

where would be the best place to watch England vs. Paraguay?

17. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Trafalgar Square normally has big screens set up! :D

If you're in the city, I'd head for the Dark Horse as there's a sizable contingent of ex-pats who frequent the place, and its a pretty decent place.

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, if you're willing and able to put up with air quality that would choke a resident of Mexico City.

19. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Hey, I figure if you're at a bar/pub you expect there to be smoke. I'd mention Fado's but seeing as how its an Irish pub, might not be as big a place to watch the Poms. Then there's Ludwig's downtown. Though they're a German place, they're throwing big shindigs since the WC is in their homeland.

Disclaimer: Don't get me started on a ban, as my boss just shut down his restaurant due to him contracting lung cancer from second hand smoke. I'm fully in favor of one but as long as there isn't one, I expect the bars/pubs to be smokey.

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I live right down the street from there. Last time I was there they had updated the place a bit. Not sure about TV's though. I'll be at Buckets in Jenkintown for most every game though.

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they have a great schedule. Updated frequently for what matches they are showing.

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/philadelphia/

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello all. Back from my trip (thanks eddie).

Just wondering if anyone is interested in creating a soccer-friendly Philly pub list for phillysoccer.com.

Obviously I have some good leads from this thread, but I am looking for more.

Thanks

23. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I might. But before then, I am working on a story for a website about where people in the city will be watching the World Cup. So if you have a bar of choice -- other than Dark Horse, Tir Na Nog and Fado, which I already know about -- shoot me a PM and let me know. Thanks.

24. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    The place I think you're talking about is on Samson St between 17th and 18th. I used to work in that area and I remember watching a congregation of people following the England-Portugal Euro 2004 match. There were alot of celebrations when Vassell missed that PK. I forget what that place is called and IIRC, it's a cafe/bar type place with a pretty big screen.

25. unitedunited

unitedunited Member

Sep 16, 2000
    NY, NY