Soccer or Football

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by aarond23, Jul 5, 2009.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wrong--the record album originally did not refer to the record at all. That's the point! It was the book that HELD the records! Then, by usage, it began to refer to the collection of songs on the record. But the original meaning of "album" referred specifically to a book holding photographs. The meaning of the word changed. Life goes on.

I honestly cannot fathom why anybody would get worked up about this...the sport was called football back in the 19th century when it was still common to kick the ball. Over the decades, the sport changed, but the name didn't. What's the big deal?

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hmmm,

A little fuzzy that defense, huh?...
    The deal is that even if once it really were so 'common' as you state - and I believe you - it's not that 'common' anymore.

As a matter of fact it's not common at all.

That's why it sounds...weird.

If you don't care about sounding weird, that's OK with me, but don't give weird names as well to the noble sport of football, please.

At least call it football too.:eek:

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of words from one language sound "funny" in another.

I realize I'm just wasting my time in this thread...it's like driving past a car wreck.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So at what point should the game have changed name? It did, after all, evolve from rugby football, which was predominantly, even then, a handling game.

And all codes of football did allow handling the ball originally. By rights, you could argue* that it ought to have followed the convention of rugby football, and called itself American Football, just as Gaelic Football and Aussie Rules football did (even if Aussie Rules predated association football by five years), but allowing handling in football type games predates association football's ruling to ban handling.

In short, your "logical" assertion that a game involving handling can't be called football is just wrong.

* I think you'd be willing to argue black is white if presented with the opportunity.

They didn't. It's a surprise nobody mentioned that already.

ps, perhaps you should have a world with the Italians regarding what they call the game.

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it. I have been here four months and I still have toruble understanding what people are saying to me (and worse, my youngest is starting to speak with an English accent!)

6. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ah, just take lessons...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4VFqbroi1I&feature=related"]YouTube- Best tv ad - Heineken "Majorca"[/ame]

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is, in fact, what it was and is called, formally speaking.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bloody 'ell!

9. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that under "Cambridge rules" Soccer you could catch the ball but had to drop it right away,and you could do throw ins with one arm. :eek:

(well,I did a book report on Soccer in 4th Grade...)

10. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's an internal US/GB matter: I don't interfere.LOL
    Yup.

Centuries of stubborness.

Typical of islanders.

Americans inherited it.:rolleyes:
    I'd never 'argue' anything of the type.

I belong to a present (& present for me means from 1955 - when I started following football - to 2009).

What rules for me (& the huge majority of my contemporaries) is common-sense: a game that only uses hands should not be called football.
    Change the 'can't' for 'shouldn't' and you'll be closer to what I think.

Who am I to forbid John from signing 'Mary'? LOL ...
    FYI.

The concept (and/or actual visual impression) of 'black' is totally impossible without the concept (and/or actual visual impression) of 'white' - & vice-versa.

In short 'black' doesn't exist without 'white' & 'white' would be imperceptible without 'black'.

The same with 'sound' & 'silence': music wouldn't exist without the absence (concept of 'interval') & the presence of all sounds.

A few drops of Physics of sensory perception won't do you any harm.
    I know, they let it happen.

Law of minimum effort.

But they're so wrong.
    Calcio comes originally from 'hitting with the heels' (and, by extension, 'with the feet').

So it's an absolutely appropriate term to describe the game.

BTW he word for 'heel' in Portuguese is 'calcanhar' (in fact, a part of the body Brz football players love to use).

Italians & Portuguese/Brzls got rapidly aware of the fact that they didn't have heels in their arms.LOL

Americans have proved to be somewhat slower in that aspect.:D

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No it isn't. The version of football played in the U.S. is not formally called "American football". It is only called that by people seeking to differentiate it from other forms of football.

As far as I can tell there is no "official" name of football in the U.S.

However, the NFL, NCAA, and the National Federation of State High School Associations which are the primary rules organizations in the U.S. all call it "football". None of them use the term "American football".

The NFL did use the term "American Football" in the original name of the "World League of American Football" for a league that included teams in Europe.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seriously just need to teach the rest of us Esperanto. Clearly, the irrational messiness of real-world languages is just too much for you.

13. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe you'd like to take up the more obvious oddities, like the fact that Americans don't require a bathroom to have bath in the room to be a bathroom, perhaps.

Or maybe Etymology would be a more worthwhile study. There are a whole host of words which have meanings that don't quite make sense, even if they used to. Only the deranged bother complaining that the words should be changed.

Maybe, but those of us on the outside don't use ritalin as frequently.

Sadly that cheap imported British beef you snapped up on the other hand...

Americans let victorian public schoolboys in England invent the word soccer?

Heel is specific. It doesn't mean foot.

I'd suggest the ball is kicked far more often in American football than it is kicked with the heels in football.

Therefore it's a far worse name "logically".

14. Shannbo5150

Shannbo5150 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sarawak
    Nat'l Team:
    Swaziland
    The English don't have an 'accent' they have dialects. Americans have an accent with dialect variations to that accent.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do to an American. Plus, they call soccer "football", which is clearly absurd. Football is played with pads and a helmet.

:p

16. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to watch soccer on chewsdays.

17. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

18. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FS0YrTHaEI&feature=related"]YouTube- Auf Weidersehen Pet series 2 Oz's 1st scene[/ame]

Sounds just like Hugh Grant, eh?

19. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry,

But that happens to be my 'beach' (I'been a linguistics & literature TA in US and abroad).;)

Language - on the contrary of what you think - is NOT a total irrational 'messiness' but also an alternance (&/or superposition) of orderly & disorderly states along its highly complex process of coming into being.

Moments of instability & stability sometimes cohabit, other times succeed each other within the same linguistic substracts (and that's the opinion of the great French linguist & expert on the écriture Gilles Deleuze).

Common-sense & reflection have the same importance of aleatory processes in the development of a language (& naturally of its vocabulary).

Some day in the middle of all that 'messiness' the common American Football rooter will stop and say:

'Wait, soccer is...us!' :D

20. Shannbo5150

Shannbo5150 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sarawak
    Nat'l Team:
    Swaziland
  21. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You really need to brush up on your British regional accents. Jimmy Nail is a Geordie, not Welsh.

22. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way everyone...baskets aren't used in Basketball anymore but everyone still uses that name.;)

23. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    He's a geordie. He sounds nothing like a Welshman.

24. Shannbo5150

Shannbo5150 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sarawak
    Nat'l Team:
    Swaziland
    And you need to brush up on your Welsh forenames

25. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club: