Soccer-Only-Stadiums

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by soccer4ever, Jul 28, 2002.

1. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    How many are there currently?

Does the CMGI Field qualify?

2. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    No, that is the new home of the New England Patriots.

The fact that the Revolution play there is secondary.

Just go to the stadium, you'll see what I mean.

3. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    It does accomodate an international-size field. 75 yards I believe? Virtually every new NFL stadium does. It's all part of the 2010 or 2014 World Cup bid.

Oh Christ, I just saw that Bassmasters Challenge on Top Ten Plays of the Week. What a joke.

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, we don't use the term "soccer-only" because there are probably zero "soccer only" stadiums in the US. That is, if you take the "only" part seriously.

The term in vogue is "soccer specific." In translation, this means that the stadiuim must have been designed to be primarily a soccer stadium and have a seating capacity somewhere in the 20-30,000 range (i.e., an appropriate size for MLS). The facility must also be owned by an MLS investor, or be linked in such a way that MLS can pocket the lion's share of match-day revenue (parking, concessions) and use the stadium to generate ancillary revenue (concerts, other non-soccer sporting events). Finally, MLS must be top-dog in the stadium; the league can't get bumped from scheduling on the dates/times it finds most preferable, and the playing surface won't be compromised by other paying customers (i.e., grid iron football markings and a cut up pitch in the fall; ruined grass after due to concerts, etc.).

5. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Thanks. So how many soccer-specific stadiums are there?

6. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in the MLS, Columbus, and soon to be LA.

For Minor Leagues--
    Lockhart stadium was renovated, and the team was the main tennant b4 they were contracted. There's a soccer stadium in Charleston for their A-League team. The Minnesota thunder play in a "soccer-specific" stadium, but it has a running track around it. The Carolina Courage play in a soccer stadium in Cary, NC. I'm sure there'll be more ppl on here that can name some of the other smaller venues.

7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd point out that the A-League, WUSA stadiums mentioned aren't up to MLS specs, mostly because they're too small.

As peledre says, there's but one rue soccer specific stadium in MLS with another under construction. There have, however, been approximately 7,000 stadium contruction rumors over the past 6+ years; hence the existence of these boards.

8. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    I believe the Virginia Beach Sportsplex is a SSS for the A-League Hampton Roads Mariners.

9. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well the Impact are the only tenants at 7,500-seat athletic stadium Centre Claude-Robillard, but neither own it or get any money from concessions.