Soccer On TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by GutBomb, Oct 20, 2004.

1. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    lots of champion's league, dutch national team, and i think a couple dutch games a week . i'm not sure what else they carry. they are only available in very few markets, and not available via satellite, so i did not include it in the list

2. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Fox World still carried Scottish Premier League. I'd trade all the MLS games on ESPN2 to get Rangers games again.

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Rangers games rights are currently held by the Celtic and Rangers supporters clubs and sub-licensed to Setanta. Look at setanta.com to see if you can find a venue in your area carrying the game :)

4. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've checked and there isn't. Apparently me and the 3 guys I know are the only SPL fans around here.

5. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    it's more like NO GOOD soccer games on tv, because the good ones are on the PPV. :(

6. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who might be curious, HDNet will again broadcast one MLS game a week in HD.

M. Estes, Kennesaw,GA

7. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    GolTV questions

Does GolTV include the 'biggest' La Liga and Serie A games? Or are those PPV like the big EPL games on Fox Sports World?

Also, for those that have GolTV - any comments on the picture and sound quality? For most clips I've seen on the net, the TV feed for the channel is quite dark, and the sound atmosphere is quite low... loud commentator with a hardly audible stadium. Is this the usual?

Thanks

8. RhinosBoy21

RhinosBoy21 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Rochester NY, but or
    The best channel is Polish TVN International on Dish Network.

-Shows every Polish League game. None live, but 1 on Sat and 1 on Sun are only couple hours delayed, and the rest of the matches are mid-week sometimes.
    -Every Polish league club in UEFA Cup or CL LIVE
    -One Hour studio show on Sundays (goals, talk about games, talk about standings, call-in, player interviews)
    -30 Minute show mid-week to highlight top moments, goals, saves and top players.

This plus FSC and ESPN for CL is all i need boys. God bless America !!! hehe

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to update the sticky thread: ESPN Deportes is now available as part of the basic VOOM package anywhere in the country.

10. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And before we hardly knew it, VOOM will die on April 30. Adios!

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just for completeness sake: A new channel called Setanta Residential will launch next week and will have coverage of UEFA Champions' League, UEFA Cup, some coverage from Scotland, etc. More info here:

http://www.setanta.com/usa

12. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Better information on Globo:
    DISH Network channel 814
    2 live games on Sunday + 1 live on Saturday + 2 games (1 live + 1 delayed) on Wednesdays (if any midweek games available) = 3 to 5 Brazilian club soccer games per week

13. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Anyone know if the U.S. v. T & T match on Wednesday (8/17) will be in true HD on ESPN2 HD? Or will it be the usual upconvert?

I'd be very surprised if the former-- but I was surprised to see about 30 Little League World Series games will be in true HD on ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD and ABC HD.

Not that it matters, since very few people can even get ESPN2 HD at this point. DirecTV picks it up sometime in September, I believe.

14. PremiumDTH

PremiumDTH New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    IA5 (former T5) is an ethnic satellite that operates in Direct To Home. Anyone knows if there is any football there?

15. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Setanta Sports USA is on that satellite. It's a paid service. You have to subscribe thru' Globecast.

For the free ethnic channels, there used to be lots of football on Dubai Sports 3-5 years ago. Dubai Sports is not transmitted to America anymore. Right now, the only football you can find are the Romanian games, and some games from the middle east (especially Iran) and Africa.

16. grandriver tim

grandriver tim New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    brantford
    Hi I an new to this board rogers are garbage the english games are not live they are 5 to ten minutes delayed on so called live games not that I watch the most over rated league in the world. They only have live european champions league live, foxsport canada is poor all morning every they repeat the nite before program, they do show a couple of german games on saturday and a couple of other countries like holland and france and south american games I am going to ditch fox. I just watch celtic games at the local club after I cancel fox and maybe rogers sports.

17. golazo_usa

golazo_usa Member

Oct 2, 1999
    <Originally Posted by PremiumDTH>
    <IA5 (former T5) is an ethnic satellite that operates in Direct To Home. Anyone knows if there is any football there?>

Abu Dhabi Sports :- shows alot of South American WC qualifiers, Asian Football Confederation Champions' League games, league football from countries in the Arabian peninsula, and programs such as Football Asia and Ganbare

BVN :- Dutch Eredivisie highlights on Sunday nights 21:00 EDT; 03:00 and 16:00 EDT Mondays

TV 7 Tunis :- league football from Tunisia (early Sunday afternoon EDT)

2M Morocco :- league football from Morocco (early Sunday afternoon EDT)

Canal Algerie :- league football from Algeria (early Sunday afternoon EDT)

TV Romania Intl :- league football from Romania (late Saturday morning / early Saturday afternoon EDT)

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Information on some of the free-to-air channels listed above is here:

http://www.lyngsat.com/ia5.html

Also, updating with the latest info:

ESPN Deportes is now available in the US on DISH Network by subscribing to the Latino tier.

RUSH HD channel in the HD tier of DISH network shows some La Liga matches in HD.

19. PremiumDTH

PremiumDTH New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Are you saying that if someone brought a pay-TV offer with say GolTV, Setanta Sports, ESPN2, on 1 sat with 1 monthly fee of 19.99 (price of 1 PPV game), that would fly? What other channels need there be to make it the must have Soccer On TV offer?

20. golazo_usa

golazo_usa Member

Oct 2, 1999
    $20 would be too much to pay for just those 3. It would make sense if you had this in a package:

1) FSC
    2) FSW Espanol
    3) GOL TV
    4) ESPN Deportes
    5) Setanta Sports

Maybe an enterprising person could bring such a package to Globecast and charge $15 - $20 monthly subscription.

My guess is that these channels probably get at most < $2 per subscriber from the DBS platforms (except Setanta of course). Are there exclusive carriage agreements which prevent these channels from being sold a-la-carte ?

If that's the case, it's probably why we won't see such a package until their contracts are up with Dishnet/DirecTV.

21. PremiumDTH

PremiumDTH New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Yeah, you can forget about the Fox channels. These are exclusive to DirecTV I guess - and they won't shoot themselves in the foot by going elsewhere. :(

22. banok

banok Member

May 26, 2005
    Budapest
  23. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If you wonder what games will be on TV in usa or canada go to http://soccertv.com/ they've got all the listings

24. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Dish Network and the World Cup - Good News and Bad

:) Good news - Dish has added ESPN2HD to thier programing.

:( Bad news -You have to get new hardware to receive it. A new dish antenna and receiver are needed. A new lease would cost between $49 to $299. New costomers would pay $99 for a receiver and $299 for a DVR. Current Dish HD subscribers would pay $49 for a receiver and $299 for a DVR. There is a $200 dollar rebate program for Current Dish HD-DVR subscribers starting in April.

The HD progarming cost would be $69.99. That would include ESPNHD,
    ESPN2HD, World SportHD and HD Net. Not in HD FSW and Gol TV.

Aaron

PS Get the HD-DVR.

25. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000