Soccer on TV in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by whiteisthecolour, May 19, 2008.

1. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

That only matters if you get all 4 sportsnet channels.

2. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    They call come with basic cable these days - with Rogers in Ontario at least, I assume others are the same. One could argue that it's better there than TSN that requires a package above basic that costs $.

Though the other 3 are digital only, but if you cheap out and buy a basic digital terminal $99.99 (or less if you catch them on sale), then it comes with the $28.49 basic cable price ... the only extra cost is the $1.99 fee for providing digital service. So presumably anyone with cable who has any interest, isn't going to balk at an extra $1.99 to get these channels (plus all sorts of other channels, like all the Canadian timeshift channels, CW, etc.).

3. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

I have channels from 2 up until 45. Then I have a few in the 60s and 70s, I don't know which, they're all junk. I get Sportsnet Ontario, not the rest. And yes, it's rogers.

4. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, judging by tonight's Canadian Champions League game my previous assumption that if CBC gets the Canadian NT games that the commentary crew would be Nigel Reed and Jason de Vos appears to be correct.

5. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Sounds like old-fashioned basic analogue cable. You'd get the other 3 Sportsnet as part of basic digital cable at 74, 75, 76 (and again at 404, 405, and 406).

If you buy a $100 digital cable box, for the same price + $2.99 a month (sorry I said $1.99 earlier) you could get all the basic digital cable stations as well. (or you could rent the box for $4.50 a month if you are unsure ...).

These aren't difficult to get stations ...

6. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

They're not difficult to get, but is it worth it? I watch 4 channels right now, CBC (for hockey/soccer), Sportsnet, TSN and RDS. Everything else is junk. Why bother paying even more for more junk? There's no need for me to get 4 sportsnets, the only channel in the range you're proposing that I'd want is the score.

But you're semi-right, anyone who is actually interested will probably shell out the massive 2.99$ extra (assuming it comes out to that though. I don't really trust Rogers, or Bell for that matter. So I'd be expecting 5-10$ extra, even if they say merely 3). The 100$ for the box is less certain, because it depends on their financial situation, but still it's not too much I guess.

7. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    I'd say basic digital cable is one of the best bargains Rogers has going. If you have an HD box instead of a regular digital box, you get about a dozen HD channels for the same price (basic cable + $2.99), including Sportsnet HD.

But after that, they'll really try and screw you - and you have to be quite clear what you want, because they'll try to sell you something much more.

Though the $2.79 a month each for some of the digital channels isn't a bad deal though - for soccer I've added CBC Bold and Fox Sportsworld Canada.

8. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You may want to add GolTV Canada too. I know they show a lot of International Games. I remember watching many a European 2006 World Cup Qualifier on GolTV Canada.

9. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Does anybody know what the TV Ratings were like for the Euro 2008 Tournament in this country??

10. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
  11. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Anyone have any info about whether Sportsnet is going to show their 1 EPL game a week this season? I found schedules on the Score and Setanta websites, but no news about Sportsnet... :\

12. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will be showing one EPL game a week on Saturday mornings - found proof via the weekly schedule - heres a direct link for Aug 16.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/?schedDate=20080816

Looks like soccer central pre/post game shows and the EPL game in between.

Hopefully my canadian friend decides to stream it weekly on justin.tv

LB...

13. Jogakanata

Jogakanata New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Soccer coverage in Canada is terrible, espically of our men and womens games.

14. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    Does anyone know what channel and what times the mens olypmic semifinals will be shown live.

I am new to Toronto and just got my satelliete and having the darndest times trying to figure out where the games are being shown?

15. CDN BASTARD

CDN BASTARD New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    North Bay, ON
    I don't know if you have Bell or Rogers, but if you have Bell, the Olympics are on CBC (many in the 200's), TSN (400), and Sportsnet (405, 406, 407, 408), and NBC (280).

I'm not in Toronto, but I think Bell's channels are the same anywhere. So far, TSN has been showing all the soccer games as far as I can tell. The game are at 6:00pm & 9:00pm on Day 11( Whatever day that it!)

16. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    i was wondering if Sportsnet or the Score are carrying premier league games on the weekends still. i remember that they have been doing this for a couple of seasons. i havent seen one game this season yet. but dats just cuz i have been busy.

please tell me. lol i m lost. thanks dudes

17. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Use this website it will help.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/

18. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Yes - pretty similiar to last year. Saturday's on Sportsnet, and Sundays on Score in HD.

19. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    thanks bud

i saw the Newcastle game today.

20. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Copa del Rey live at 3pm est Sevilla vs. Dep. La Coruna on GOLTV Canada.

21. acecchetto

acecchetto New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Canada
    Champions League games on Wednesday 3:30 pm EST to 8 pm on Telelatino (TLN)

22. damone1

damone1 Member

Jul 20, 2000
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does either TSN or CBC show the USMNT games live in Canada? Ever? Or is it possible to catch them via ESPN while there? I ask as I'll be in Montreal during the next wave of Concacaf qualifiers and wanted to see how likely it will be for me to be able to watch the US matches. Thanks.

23. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, most likely you will be unable to get the game on TSN or CBC.

24. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Sure - when they play Canada. Sportsnet is showing the Canada vs USA game on Monday.

Pretty much nil ...

25. damone1

damone1 Member

Jul 20, 2000
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the responses. I guess that my best option will be some sort of online feed since it's going to be on ESPN.