News: Soccer on TV: 2016-17 Season

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm late on this, but it looks like TyC has nothing from the Argentina top flight. I've been busy with other viewing this semester. They seem to only show Primera B Metropolitana.

2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually do show Argentine top flight during every window during which there is a game, except they don't show Boca or River games. (For the league. They do show Boca and River Copa Argentina games.)

3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    So maybe the problem is the DTV guide, because it lists no primera matches for the weekend.

4. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Any idea which channel has the Boca and River league games?

5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guide frequently gets data for the TyC domestic channel in Argentina, which doesn't show primera games. The guide currently shows that they are playing a Primera B Metropolitana game when in reality they are playing Independiente-Tigre.

6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No channel currently shows these games in the USA. Last season NGSN did ... and there are rumors that they are coming back soon... so room to hope?

7. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    No Ajax v PSV gameon Univision tomorrow. Anyone have anything thoughts on why they have been so spotty with their Dutch coverage, other than the fact that no one really gives an F about that league? Figured tomorrow's game would have warranted some coverage

8. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    A month or two ago, Univision Deportes had a couple of Eredivisie matches scheduled but they never aired. There was no explanation and they simply didn't show them while never changing the guide. Since then, there has been no Eredivisie matches scheduled. All of this looks like a rights issue. I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Until NGSN re-enter the market (they keep promising) I don't think we will have any Eredivisie matches in the US.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    On the subject of Univision Deportes they do what some (okay, one - hehe) on this board in the past took Fox Soccer Channel to task for when they had the Premier League, although UniDep is more guilty of it.
    On Sunday they had Sporting v Braga at a 4pm ET screening.
    The match itself in Portugal kicked off at its scheduled time of 3:15 ET, so UniDep's coverage was roughly a 45-50 minute delay.
    Yet there was the "En Vivo" graphic in the upper right corner of UniDep's broadcast.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Fox Soccer Channel claim games were live when they weren't? They had a set schedule of Premier League and Serie A games on weekends, and I don't remember them joining games in progress or starting them delayed while the game was going on.

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    FSC would have a 'live' graphic in the upper corner but if you followed the match online - either via text commentary or illegal streaming - the game was actually 2-5 minutes ahead of the FSC broadcast. E.g. you'd know a goal was scored minutes before you saw it on FSC.
    There was discussion in this forum about it at the time (mid-2000s).
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/fsc-fse-megathread.494510/

Univision Deportes' broadcasts of 4pm ET Portuguese Liga games that actually kicked off at least 30 minutes earlier are screenings I consider more to be 'delayed' rather than 'en vivo' (as compared to the FSC days of EPL).

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm hoping ESPN picks Eredivisie up for next season and puts it on espn3. I'd always tune-in when two of the big 3 went head-to-head as well as on the final day of the season (Holland had some of the best title races in Europe over the last 5 years or so)

socceraction repped this.
  13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    TVChile does not seem to be carrying Chilean Primera. Plus, we no longer have access to the Dutch Eredivisie. There was no CONMEBOL U20 WCQ coverage, either.

I think TV coverage in this country has regressed.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe this is a game of semantics but has it regressed? Or is it that we have an over-saturation of product on the air and not enough people who want to see these tournament you list in the United States.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No, it has regressed due to the fact said products are not available here.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But technically the coverage has been replaced and compensated by other soccer like the African Cup on English language television. :p

17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You seem to be really hung up over the fact I corrected/educated you on that. Let it go, man.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Neither of those apply since I already knew that which you wrote about before you posted.

As for this unrelated note "regression" just seemed harsh until you specified.
    As I taught you , context is everything.

19. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    As a side note - the CONCACAF U20 WCQ begins this Friday (Feb. 17) and UDN will have live coverage of most matches...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

MetroChile repped this.
  20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Also, Libertadores and Sudamericana coverage is barely available now on what? FS2Go? Yea, footy coverage in the US definitely has regressed.

So that's a couple of properties: U20 CONMEBOL WCQ, Dutch Eredivisie, Chilean Primera, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana.

With the Chilean league, though, I am cautiously optimistic: I remember a few years back or maybe even for last year's Opening Championship TVChile and Canal del Fútbol (footy rights holder) did come to an agreement to broadcast a few weeks into the season.

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a coincidence that four out of those five are in CONMEBOL?

22. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

23. Bo-man757

Bo-man757 New Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So where can I find the AFC Champions League this year? One World Sports is dead. Also any news for Chinese Super league or J League tv rights in USA?