Soccer on Sportsnet

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LDG20, Oct 4, 2007.

1. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Does anyone know why sportsnet is not showing any EPL games on saturday?

:confused::confused::confused:

2. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Might have to do with the agreements with Setanta. I believe Sportsnet gets the 2nd choice for games that start at 10am EST. This saturday, there's only 2 games. Perhaps only one of them starts at 10am, so 2nd choice means no game?

It's unfortunate, no matter what the reason is. Oh well, I won't be able to watch this saturday anyways.

3. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    oh
    I noticed that Setanta had a double header on their broadband connection, so I guess it doesn't effect me much. Sportsnet should put something...at least..

4. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I think it is because this week almost all games are scheduled to be played on Sunday...

Cheers!

5. thisisinternetclash

thisisinternetclash New Member

May 28, 2007
    It was a one time only situation, due to the number of games being played on Sunday this matchweek.

A more important question, though... where's Craig Forrest been??

6. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There is nothing..next week..as well...they should have some international matches, if possible.

7. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

Next weekend there are no EPL games. Next game is on the 20th. As for international, I don't believe Sportsnet has the rights to the Euro 2008 qualifying games. I don't remember who does though...

8. JinJin

JinJin Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I believe Setanta has a few of the international games, and the rest of the games being on Setanta Premium(exclusive to pubs), and I would imagine PPV as well.

9. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Setanta has some and so does FSWC (remember them), but no real big matches. TV5 may also have a France game.

10. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Ya, that's true. I forgot that I watched the first half of the boring France-Italy game on TV5.

11. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004

If you have Gol TV, you'll have had the opportunity to watch that game about 15 times on Match Capsule since. Due to the fact that it qualifies for Can Con, they have been showing it a lot.

12. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

I don't have Gol TV. My soccer viewing pleasure is limited to Sportsnet, TSN and TV5. I guess there might, once in a blue moon, be a game on RDS. And sometimes CBC has something.

13. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can Con? What are you smokin'?

14. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Gol TV Canada have to show some predetermined % of Can Con. For Match Capsule since it is produced in Toronto and with 2 apparent Canadians (Lee Godfrey and Paul James (he played for Canada but was born in Wales...not sure when he moved here), it qualifies as Can Con. The same goes for the FSWC Report which is shown endlessly overnight on FSWC.

15. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OK. Now I get it. Because the commentary is produced in Canada, it qualifies as CAN-CON despited the fact that the game they are reviewing has no connection to Canadian content.

16. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I like Setanta's Macca's monday night -> Football Matters -> Friday Football Show..very informative.
    Setanta Broadband, on saturday, is showing Azerbaijian v Portugal
    and Moldova v Turkey...not so interesting...

17. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Aren't CAN CON regulations and the CRTC just wonderful. In the past, FSWC ran Direct Kicks and Direct Kicks for Chicks for Can Con content. Now they tend to run John Oakley and that other talk show as Can Con content.