Soccer on Canadian TV pt. 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gordon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. imajoseph

imajoseph New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    this may have been already posted in this huge thread but i was wondering does anybody know if there is a highlights show on for this season? i used to watch it every week on FSWC but since that bit the dust i wondering if the Score or Setanta has picked it up

I do hope they keep this show going as its a good way of catching up on the weekly goals

Thanks for any info

2. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I believe that the Score has a pre-game show (Friday nights?) prior to the EPL games on a Saturday.

FSWC seems to have dropped the EPL highlights show (great to catch up on a Sunday night) along with the rest of their EPL games (they lost the rights).

You may have to rely on YouTube.

3. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Setanta doesn't seem that great...Not any type of soccer talk show and a lot of repeats during the weekday

4. willb2064

willb2064 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I think this will change once they become a full channel rather than a PPV Sports Package which is their current status. The 1st day they went live they had a couple of talk shows.

5. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I wish that Setanta showed a few less repeat BPL games, and added a few tape delayed Dutch games. They have the rights to Dutch games, so I would think it couldn't be that big a deal for them.

Cheers!

6. sivlE

sivlE New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Serie A coverage in Canada for this season has become a lot more clear with the season beginning tomorrow.

It looks like FSWC will have the two LIVE Saturday Serie A games, at 12:00PM EST and 2:30PM EST.

Complimenting FSWC is TLN which will broadcast three Sunday Serie A games: a LIVE game at 9PM EST, a delayed game at 11PM EST and a LIVE game at 2:30PM EST.

Also FSWC will broadcast a Serie A highlites show at 5PM EST on Mondays. TLN will have preview show on Sunday at 8:30PM EST and a review/highlites show at 7:30PM EST.

This week the game schedule looks like this:
    SATURDAY
    12PM EST/LIVE: Lazio v. Torino
    2:30PM EST/LIVE: Juventus v. Livorno

SUNDAY
    9PM EST/LIVE: Inter Milan v. Udinese
    11PM EST/Delayed: Genoa v. Milan
    2:30PM EST/LIVE: Palermo v. AS Roma

If your new to Serie A and not sure what to watch I'd recommend the Palermo/AS Roma game, which is the game of the week, but all these games should be great.

7. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Just reviving this thread a little bit to ask a simple question...

I know I can watch the Italy-France game on TV5 here, which is nice. I was just wondering if there was any (free) way to watch other games online?
    I know sportsnet and TSN don't have any games, and I don't get the score/setanta/golTV/etc. So my only chances are online, other than Italy-France.

8. moralis

moralis Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Unfortunate news for Canadian soccer fans who are accustumed to watching Champions League games on TLN TV. I spoke to the head of the soccer department at TLN and he told me that TLN will not be showing the group stage games because of contractual demands by ESPN International, which owns the rights. In English, that can't afford to pay what ESPN International is asking for. But, TLN will be showing the knockout rounds in January. That's all I know.

If you want more info give TLN TV a call at 416-774-8200 or e-mail their soccer department at soccer@tlntv.com.

9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Any chance TSN is going to pick up the slack on this?

10. laszlokovacs

laszlokovacs New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    It looks like TSN will be keeping the same as last year.......1 live game & 1 delayed game around midnight for every match day.

I've read on other board that Setanta picked up the Canadian rights to the 3rd & 4th choice CL games from TSN, but I haven't seen anything confirming that.

11. laszlokovacs

laszlokovacs New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    http://130.94.23.190/SSCDN_live_schedule.htm

Setanta has updated their Canadian schedule with the Champions League Match Day 1 games. Looks like between TSN & Setanta we'll be getting more than 4 games from both Tuesday & Wednesday, albeit some of it delayed.

Here's the schedule as far as I can see:

Tuesday Games

FC Porto vs Liverpool - LIVE [TSN]
    Chelsea vs Rosenborg - LIVE [Setanta]
    Olympiakos vs Lazio - Tue 9/17 8pm [Setanta]
    Real Madrid vs Werder Bremen - Wed 9/18 12am [TSN]
    Shakhtar Donetsk vs Celtic - Thu 9/19 8pm [Setanta]
    AC Milan vs Benfica - Thu 9/19 9:45pm [Setanta]

Wednesday Games

Sporting Lisbon vs Manchester United - LIVE [TSN]
    Arsenal vs Sevilla - LIVE [Setanta]
    Fenerbahce vs Inter Milan - Wed 8/18 8:30pm [Setanta]
    Barcelona vs Lyon - Thu 9/19 12am [TSN]
    Rangers vs VfB Stuttgart - Fri 9/20 5pm [Setanta]

12. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Sasktel Max is now offering Setanta for $14.95 month. A bit late, but better late than never for EPL fans I guess.

13. Razcle

Razcle New Member

May 18, 2007
    Waterloo

Thescore.ca has all the highlights from the BPL something like 8h after the match is complete. They also have a bunch of other compilations from the weeks action. Awesome site..Only Available in Canada....Check it out

http://portal.thescore.ca/bpl/index.aspx

14. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I watched a few minutes of yesterdays h/t show on the Chelsea/Arsenal game. Brian Budd is truly an embarassment to Canadian footie commentary. He has a hockey player mentality to the commentary. He must qualify to do the h/t show as he was born in Canada...CAN CON requirements as Sherman and the other guy were born in England and Wales.

Is there any way to get rid of Budd?

15. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Budd knows the game, that he may see the game differently than you shouldn't matter, some of his observations are spot on. he's not he best but far from the worst...CBC and CTV both have their share of commentators who know nothing of the game but still feel free to offer their comments...

My favourite pundit is Bobby McMahon....excellent, this man really knows his football...I suspect he has some very good football contacts to come up with the information that he does...

Absolute worst ....Tommy Smyth...F*****' hell that man is stupid, N American Media thinks because the man has an accent he must knows something about football...there have been a few times I've turned to something else on TV so I wouldn't have top hear his idiotic comments...

16. dah_sab

dah_sab New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Amen to that! I'm glad someone else has seen that this particular emperor has no clothes. But be careful south of the border -- some folks in the NYC area seem to think TS is a god. I attacked his drunken rantings a few years ago elsewhere on BigSoccer & the response I received in return was vicious.

But the fact remains -- Tommy Smyth knows nothing. He doesn't even pay attention to the game he's supposedly watching, much less keep up with developments in the European game. I feel sorry for the poor guys forced to work with him.

17. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Who the hell appointed you as god to make remarks about somebody been drunken much less an Irish person. Just because you are a racist does not mean that everybody on these boards should follow you along blindly.
    Maybe you dont like Smyth but at least use your dislike in a manner that is not hurtful to all Irish people.Now crawl back in under your rock.

18. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

While I don't necessarily agree with the comments made about Tommy Smyth, I didn't see any racism, so I don't know where you pulled that from. And I am ~40% Irish, so I would have been offended if I had seen some.

19. dah_sab

dah_sab New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure he's agreeing with us & being funny, mocking those who defend Tommy Smyth.

But just in case I will clarify my comments -- I do not like Tommy Smyth the soccer commentator. He doesn't appear to actually pay attention to the game he's supposed to be watching. And his comments generally about the game indicate that he does not actually follow current trends in the European game. I get the impression watching him that the only games he ever sees are the ones he's paid to watch. Contrast him to the criminally underutilized Seamus Malin who offers insightful commentary indicative of someone who follows the game religiously.

However, Tommy Smyth the person I'm sure is a wonderful guy who loves his family & helps puppy dogs cross the street in heavy traffic. And I'm sure he's not drunk while on duty for ESPN. I should not have said that. Tommy -- I apologize. You do not need to be drunk to be a poor color man, merely parroting the obvious with your inane commentary on Champions League broadcasts.

20. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

Could be. It's hard to tell on the internet, due to the lack of facial expressions and intonations.

21. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    From my end, Budd came across as being akin to Don Cherry....Now if we want a brutal pundit on the beautiful game, we need to look no further than Jim Rome.

22. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa

Is that supposed to be an insult or a compliment? In my opinion that'd be a pretty grave insult, but there are those idiots who voted Cherry as one of the greatest Canadians, so they might feel it's a compliment.

23. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I understand that but I wouldn't rank Budd the same as Cherry, how you think the game should be played is very subjective Budds is just different than yours. His voice and appearance don't help him, he looks and talks like a beer swilling hockey nut, he was a excellent athlete in his day.

Cherry is unique, a dinosaur in how he thinks the game should be played but he is still very knowledgeable he knows his hockey. Tommy Smyth is something else, out of date like Cherry but unlike Cherry I don't believe he knows the game now or at any time in the past. I've met many guys like Smyth, they come from europe, S America or elsewhere to N America and think because they have an accent they automatically know more about football than us colonials and can BS us with their footie talk.

24. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Budd came across to me as boorish (in other words a beer swilling hockey nut) and Smyth IMHO got the job due to his Oirish blarney and accent. Budd would like more hittin' and aggressive tacklin'.

25. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why don't you just come out and say it. "Budd came across to me as CANADIAN".