Soccer on Canadian TV pt. 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gordon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ManUtd1

ManUtd1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Thefly is exactly correct in everything he said. This is a place to discuss football that is shown on canadian television.

2. ManUtd1

ManUtd1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I do not understand this whole issue. This is an online forum which encourages members to discuss issues that are important to them. We are discussing a very current and relevent issue. If people feel that it is an important issue (which it certainly is), then I can not understand why certain people can find any reason to object.

3. niagaracelt11

niagaracelt11 New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    About the Champions League games coming up in the next couple of days. I dont think we will be getting any of these games on either tsn or Setanta. Setanta are showing the spurs game tommorrow and the Man UTd game Wednesday. Setanta have been previewing there upcoming events and have not mentioned anyhting about the Champs league.

4. C.ronaldo 7

C.ronaldo 7 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    They have said they are going to show champions league games.

Just not Champions League Qualifiers.

Are they going to show CL games on TSN and TLN this year?

5. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    TSN (via ESPN) has the rights to CL in Canada. I read that Setanta in Canada is negotiating to get some second choice games from TSN since TSN doesn't really show CL games unless they are big teams, and even then it is never more than two games a day.

I think this would essentially meant that Setanta, if successful, would get qualifying round games, and probably some group stage games, but anything later would still be on TSN.

Cheers!

6. laszlokovacs

laszlokovacs New Member

Aug 10, 2007
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    What? Did you expect to get good customer service from a Canadian company? (insert hysterical laughter here...)

8. niloc22

niloc22 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Nova Scotia

Hey laszlokovacs, thanks for that info...I'd given up hope that this game was on anywhere....didn't think of checking GolTV's schedule! :)

Cheers mate!

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hey Spurs,

Maybe it would be better if we knew the Spurs score in advance, it would save us the agony. Perhaps the next time you chat with Mr. O'Rourke, you could ask him if there is any way Setanta could black out the remaining 36 Spurs games (on compassionate grounds).

10. niagaracelt11

niagaracelt11 New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    is anyone elses setanta not on right now. My channel is just a black screen. I have bell express VU. It better be back up for the man utd game.

11. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Same problem here in Ottawa on Rogers. So it looks like the problem is not with your TV.

I agree with you on the Man U game. Do they have plans to show it on a repeat as watching it live may be a problem for me.

12. clynnog

clynnog New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    That is good news, now that Gol TV lost the rights in English. However, I hope that it isn't endless Catania/Empoli or the like matches. Other than any Seria A, FSWC is a corpse of a channel these days.

13. niagaracelt11

niagaracelt11 New Member

Jul 17, 2007

I dont think they will be repeating the man utd game until much later on. After the Man Utd game Setanta will be showing the rest of the EPL games.

Here is a link to what games you will get

http://frasm.sasktelwebsite.net/footie.html

14. njligernj

njligernj New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    One week of Setanta Broadband and all of a sudden I'm spoiled. No Everton game this weekend (because it's on FSC and the Canadian service -- which I assume would be showing it -- isn't launched yet). So it's not on, which means I'm back to the Mandarin nonsense. BAH! ... BAH! I say!

15. spurs1961double

spurs1961double New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Seems very quiet in here these days. That's kinda sad. Just half a dozen posts yesterday. We used to see six posts within 30 minutes! Well, I guess there are always people who are hell-bent on gatecrashing a good party.

Oh, just a comment about my personal ties to Canadian soccer which seem to be in question simply because I am a contributor to this Thread.

I put my son through many years of house league soccer here in Ontario. I coached a soccer team based in Ontario for several years. I purchased group tickets to see Canada (and the rest of the qualifiers) in the recent FIFA Under 20 World Cup, and oh yes, I was one of the first 500 people who purchased third row season tickets for Toronto FC, which I have distributed to others because of some recent mobility concerns. Maybe I shouldn't forget to add, of course, that through five months of this year I was one of several business players in the GTA attempting to establish, with other more qualified people than me, a training school for aspiring Canadian soccer players still in high school.

Yet simply wanting to contribute to a Thread that helps me to discover the intricacies of Canadian television programming when it comes to soccer leagues from around the world somehow makes me ineligible because I don't visibly show support of Canadian soccer through an Internet forum?! Someone, or more than one, needs to get a real life, here.

If, and I say if, Canadian soccer is in a poor state (and being a very small part of it I don't wish to believe so), then I don't think we have to look very far to see the reasons why.

Another Board has been created in the past several days which, amongst other focuses, discusses soccer on Canadian television. There are always choices.

I have no problem with embracing the rule about no separate Canadian EPL thread here on Big Soccer. I said so several days ago, and I still say it.

But to lambaste contributors to this specific Thread because they are doing what has been allowed by the Moderators since August of last year is an insult. Gordon and Saviola excepted, the tone of the others has been arrogant, derogatory, sanctimonious and demeaning. If nothing else, an official apology should be posted without reference, reservation or justification.

But, we all have options. So, whatever the objective was here with the rants of a few this week, you have lost some good, solid contributors, and more to follow. And that's a shame. It needn't have been that way. But then, the attitude of those long-term "non-newbies who get it" is reflected in the very words they're going to utter when they read this Post.

It's been fun... kind of.

16. cipher

cipher New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Toronto
    This forum needs an ignore option and a report to moderator option.

For those who watched the CL qualifier today on GOL, they announced that the return game at Anfield will also be televised.

17. laszlokovacs

laszlokovacs New Member

Aug 10, 2007
  18. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    The topic of this thread is Soccer on Canadian TV. Stay to the topic and allow people who are still using this thread to do so without this ridiculous and childish nonsense. I am moving a few posts to another thread more appropriate.

19. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Thank goodness... the Shaw guide on my HD PVR is completely out of whack with what is actually on the channel!

Cheers!

20. Bermele

Bermele Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Anybody able to watch Liverpool-chelsea this sunday?

Like most people in Toronto I have rogers cable, but I'm checking all the tv schedules and I find that no channel is airing the Liverpool-chelsea game this sunday. How could they not air such a huge game?

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/tvsked_sport.php?schedule_id=7

rogers sportsnet is only airing games on saturday, none on sunday

http://130.94.23.190/SSCDN_live_schedule.htm

Setanta sports is airing Nice vs Rennes

http://www.livesoccertv.com/FSWC-fixtures-2007-08-17.php

and fox sports world Canada is airing F@#%ing Milan classics:mad:

Why does the canadian version of fox sports air milan classics and yet FOX soccer channel (US) gets to air Liverpool-Chelsea live. Am I the only one affected by this?

I hope that one of these channels decides to change the schedule and air the game, if not, how do you guys plan to watch the game?

21. laszlokovacs

laszlokovacs New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Re: Anybody able to watch Liverpool-chelsea this sunday?

The Score

22. Bermele

Bermele Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

lol ok, forgot to check the score, thank god.

23. Frazzell

Frazzell New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Edmonton

I think that this thread should probably get moved over to the Soccer on Canadian TV thread, before things start again...

24. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK

Threads merged. Redirect will remain active for 2 days.

25. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    where can we see Canada NT matches. e.g. vs Iceland and costa rica